Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Jars or tubs.

It's normally solid at room temperature in Ireland.

Thanks! Is it in health food shops or where do you get it? I've been meaning to have a tub on standby but never think of it.

I've opted for naturalising my baby to caffeine by having my morning cup of coffee during pregnancy :p;)

I relished my mid morning coffee during the marathon feeds in the early weeks! i drank it while feeding. I also drank a good bit of tea and didn't seem to affect anything. I ate most things and again didn't notice a lot of wind or other issues.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

lazygal wrote: »
    Thanks! Is it in health food shops or where do you get it? I've been meaning to have a tub on standby but never think of it.

I got mine in Dunnes for about a fiver.
    lazygal wrote: »
    I relished my mid morning coffee during the marathon feeds in the early weeks! i drank it while feeding. I also drank a good bit of tea and didn't seem to affect anything. I ate most things and again didn't notice a lot of wind or other issues.

Nothing bothered mine either. I do know someone though who couldn't take paracetemol because of the caffeine content or the baby would be in bits with her tummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Just passing on what the midwife in the hospital told me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

aknitter wrote: »
    Just passing on what the midwife in the hospital told me...

Yeah, I think think this is an old wives tale. Unfortunately a lot of the midwives/phn's etc., don't have correct information. Here's a good article about gassy babies. http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/gassybaby/

I've drunk decaf coffee for years, so moved to decaf tea since I got pregnant in 2011 & have just stayed on it since then. I ate everything & anything on my daughter. I noticed that she was quite windy after broccoli and chocolate. I did cut them down a bit, but not out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I love diet coke and my friend keeps telling me I have to give it up or the baby will be windy. Her sis had a baby so she thinks she's an expert. I told her the lactation consultant said the only two things to avoid are alcohol and more than 3 caffeinated drinks a day. I told her this and that I only have 1 or 2 glasses of caffeine free diet coke a day but I still get judged. My boy rarely suffers from wind and isn't colicky at all ( we get the joys of reflux instead!)

This is the same friend who told me you can't have a baby if you don't have a dishwasher and that I'd have to buy a house when I got pregnant because you shouldn't have babies in a rented apartment (an apartment I only pay a third of the going rate of rent on may I add). People, eh?

The lactation consultant told me only 1% of what you eat goes into your breast milk as well.

A lot of people don't know as well that alcohol goes out of your milk at the same rate as your blood. So if you had a glass of wine with dinner, a couple of hours later it would be gone from your milk, even if your breasts were full for the entire time. So there's no need to pump and dump unless you're totally plastered, which I imagine would be unlikely with a small baby around the place. :pac:

It's amazing stuff. Breastmilk's not bad either. :p

Mmm wine! I've only had a few glasses since my baba arrived but it is great that after you do the last feed and put him down for the night you can have one or two glases and it'll be gone from your system by the time you feed next (for me about 2.30/3am)

You feel like you're not denying yourself all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I love diet coke and my friend keeps telling me I have to give it up or the baby will be windy. Her sis had a baby so she thinks she's an expert. I told her the lactation consultant said the only two things to avoid are alcohol and more than 3 caffeinated drinks a day. I told her this and that I only have 1 or 2 glasses of caffeine free diet coke a day but I still get judged. My boy rarely suffers from wind and isn't colicky at all ( we get the joys of reflux instead!)

This is the same friend who told me you can't have a baby if you don't have a dishwasher and that I'd have to buy a house when I got pregnant because you shouldn't have babies in a rented apartment (an apartment I only pay a third of the going rate of rent on may I add). People, eh?

The lactation consultant told me only 1% of what you eat goes into your breast milk as well.

As a matter of interest what point was she trying to make about the dishwasher? People be crazy!!

Digs wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what point was she trying to make about the dishwasher? People be crazy!!

I dunno - that life with a baby is easier if you don't have to wash your dishes? Anyway, I do have a dishwasher so don't know where it came from. In fact I have two, the machine and my husband!

It was weird, I'm bot bringing the baby up by myself. If we didn't have a dishwasher I'm sure my hubby could wash a few dishes, the baby won't die or anything if that were the case :) I think she just thinks everyone should be in exactly the se situation as her sister when they have a baby. I've just stopped discussing stuff with her, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I dunno - that life with a baby is easier if you don't have to wash your dishes? Anyway, I do have a dishwasher so don't know where it came from. In fact I have two, the machine and my husband!

It was weird, I'm bot bringing the baby up by myself. If we didn't have a dishwasher I'm sure my hubby could wash a few dishes, the baby won't die or anything if that were the case :) I think she just thinks everyone should be in exactly the se situation as her sister when they have a baby. I've just stopped discussing stuff with her, tbh.

Yeah there's one or two people I've stopped discussing stuff with too. Doesn't stop them shovelling advice in my direction but I am a pro at smiling and nodding now ;)

Sometimes I wonder why I have a dishwasher at all - a lot of the toddlers wear can't be put in the dishwasher or I'd have to have a load of extra plastic plates etc for him.

I know some people are so annoying - but you'd be surprised what comes back to you at 2am with an unsettled baby!

This last week I can really feel that all the pregnancy hormones are gone - my tummy issues are back with a bang, I think the extra relaxin in the blood stream stopped my cramping for the last 6 months or so (I had extra too as I had spd) but its back to normal now - boo

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

*clutches pearls*
    Reports Murdy Wurdy to social services for living in a rented*.

*I rent too, terrible parent that I am

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

aknitter wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder why I have a dishwasher at all - a lot of the toddlers wear can't be put in the dishwasher or I'd have to have a load of extra plastic plates etc for him.

God I think all of our toddlers dishes go into the dishwasher. Was very careful at the beginning, but now just fling everything into it & hope for the best. The avent ones had film over them so ended up in the bin, but everything else has been fine.

Yeah, looking forward to having this baby, so I can have a drink or two at Christmas. I've had 2 cans of guinness & a small glass of champagne for my partners 40th since I found out I was pregnant in March, so looking forward to a drink or two. I've either been pregnant or breastfeeding since Feb 2011, so savour my little indulgences.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Neyite wrote: »
    *clutches pearls*

Renting!!!?? *gasp*

I thank my lucky stars every day that despite being in a rented apartment in a CITY CENTRE :eek: for the first 10 years of her life, my daughter has turned out to be the lovely, funny, gentle and intelligent girl that she is....

Lucky escape if you ask me :pac::pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have a dishwasher too, hasn't been used in months. You have to clean off dishes before you put them in, so why not just wash them fully yourself. My OH and I do it together and use it as time to talk. I laughed before when you mentioned the renting thing MW, and it is still as funny now. :D

I am a devil for caffeine. I forego all other caffeine drinks a day for a can of energy drink, right after a feed so it is broken down before she feeds again. I am about 90% sure she has reflux, she throws up a good bit. The thing that gets me is the projectile pooping and farts. Worst than any Guinness drinker some days!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    You have to clean off dishes before you put them in

>_>

<_<

I don't.

I also washed the bottles in there once James was 6 months old. Might even start sooner this time about. We have a sterilising setting on ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Oh I throw bottles and everything in there! Love love love it!!!

Everything goes in our dishwasher too! I'm not allowed to stack it though because I don't do it properly apparently''

I know, my son is going to have a terrible life, living in a rented apartment, gasp! Here's why it's extra stupid though ladies, my parents fecking own the place so my dad is my landlord (we call him dadlord). Sure we might as well own it :)

>_>

<_<

I don't.

I also washed the bottles in there once James was 6 months old. Might even start sooner this time about. We have a sterilising setting on ours.

Ours is a crappy one, if we didn't everything would come out covered in food! I find the dishwashers were fantastic for the bottles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Neyite wrote: »
    *clutches pearls*

Me too!! We should have bloody rented all along - then we wouldn't be stuck with an apartment in massive negative equity which we've in turn have had to rent out so we could go and rent a house so that we could expand our family..... :mad:

That said, i'd rather have my gorgeous children in a rented property than no children and all the money in the world - and that's a fact!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't have a dishwasher at the moment but when we did we had a two part washing system.
    1. Put plates on floor.
    2. Put plates in dishwasher.
    In between steps one and two the dogs would remove all debris.

iguana wrote: »
    I don't have a dishwasher at the moment but when we did we had a two part washing system.
    1. Put plates on floor.
    2. Put plates in dishwasher.
    In between steps one and two the dogs would remove all debris.

That's what I love about dogs!!! :D

35 weeks pregnant and having some serious colustrum leakage. I was taking a look this morning at was what my more productive breast last time and the colustrum dripped down over my hand. :eek: :D

I guess that part won't be a worry this time around.

I am hoping this^is a good sign. I had supply issues at the start last time which was quite stressful and made me very upset, but this time I've lots of colostrum any time I squeeze my nipples. I breastfed until I was about six months pregnant and then herself self weaned, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed my supply is just on a go slow and ready for action again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    That's what I love about dogs!!! :D

Very similar to my baby led weaning, post meal one step clean up system.

After meal is over, open back door.

Two very happy dogs charge in and do the rest.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

iguana wrote: »
    Very similar to my baby led weaning, post meal one step clean up system.

Oh I'm reading the Baby Led Weaning book at the moment and loving it! Can't wait to start it with the little guy. Love the theory behind it, and how hassle free it seems (beyond the clean up obv).

BLW is the way to go. Seriously couldn't be bothered with making up crap like baby rice and endless purees in tiny pots in the freezer. We got a lot of silly comments on choking and scare stories but ignored them all. Result=a child who will eat whatever she's given and doesn't need to be spoonfed anything. I heard of a parent who's still spoonfeeding her 2.5 year old because he can't eat 'proper' food without gagging.

I know someone who was spoon feeding a 5 year old.....
    funny if it had been her daughter she'd have starved but because it was her son it was no bother. Crazy, I pledge my sons will be able to use the washing machine, mop, hoover and oven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Im also reading the blw book and its definitely the way we re going to go. Spoonfeeding sounds and looks like a nightmare to me and it doesnt seem natural to feed the baby at different times to when you re eating.

Advertisement