Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

From about 6 weeks, my LO mostly slept through the night but I cluster fed her for 3-4 hours before bedtime. If you had the time, it's totally worth it. Just sit down with some snacks and the remote and don't worry about getting up. I miss that time now.

I was just starting to get a bit worried that my LO was starting to sleep a bit too long. (I know, I'm sorry:o). She is nearly 8 weeks and for the past week or so has been going down between 8.30 and 9.30 (after a lengthy cluster feed) and staying down until around 4/5. She used to feed around 2 but seems to have given that up, but now will feed every hour to hour and a half once she wakes up at 4/5.

So yesterday I had the great idea of feeding her at 11pm before I went to sleep.. 8.30 to 10.30 pm is normally my time with my teenager so I was hoping I could push that block of sleep on by a couple of hours. Especially with the bloody hour change.

So I fed her at 11, all went fine. Then she woke again at 2.15 and didn't go back to sleep until after 4!!! :( Up again at 6, but at least then she slept until 9.

I am a moron :rolleyes: I mean, I had it pretty good and decided to interfere. I think I'll let her lead the way from now on and hope I haven't messed it up...
    I am a moron...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Lol banbhaaifric same happened here. I had a little guy that slept 12-9 then I listened to people who said he should be going to bed earlier, and I tried to push him back in the evening, only to be woken at 5 and 6 for a bit. He's over that now and sleeps 10-7. It'll work itself out. I thought I had broken him too! What age is your little girl? If she is anywhere near 4 months, she could be waking cos of the sleep regression at that time. I will never forget our four month sleep regression. Total night mare. Only lasted 4 nights in all but boy it was a doozy with him waking every hour.

mrsberries wrote: »
    Thanks ladies, so Im guessing this is just the norm. I really don't mind the regular feeds during the day, just getting to breaking point with the broken sleep. Hopefully as Cyning said its getting to the easy stage. Back to work in mid January so hopefully wont be panicking come December when Im trying to wean him.

The sleep is a killer mrsberries. I have three tips that worked for my little dude (6 mths now). Feed the baby yourself before bedtime rather than a bottle of EBF from your OH as your night time milk has sleep hormones in it that may help baby settle for night then. Cluster feed - try and encourage babs to feed A LOT before going down for the night. Just sit there in front of a movie with your boob out for a few hours! And lastly try to settle with a soother or similar for some of the night wakenings. It won't always work, but if it does, then baby might (might!) slowly get used to taking less calories at night, and make up for it by feeding for them during the day.

Thanks holding,
    She's only 8 weeks on Wednesday so I'm glad to be getting any sleep at all! Good news is she went down as normal around 9 this evening so fingers crossed! I'm taking no chances anyway - it's off to sleep with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

holding wrote: »
    The sleep is a killer mrsberries. I have three tips that worked for my little dude (6 mths now). Feed the baby yourself before bedtime rather than a bottle of EBF from your OH as your night time milk has sleep hormones in it that may help baby settle for night then. Cluster feed - try and encourage babs to feed A LOT before going down for the night. Just sit there in front of a movie with your boob out for a few hours! And lastly try to settle with a soother or similar for some of the night wakenings. It won't always work, but if it does, then baby might (might!) slowly get used to taking less calories at night, and make up for it by feeding for them during the day.

Star! Thanks for that. The last two night we've managed to get a bottle of formula into him as a dreamfeed, the only way it will work! But sure he wakes up 3 hours later....never considered the auld sleepy sleepy dreamy dreamy hormones in my milk :D:D Will try the cluster feeding too....will report back tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

my 9 week old girl slept for 6 hours in one go last night :D woot!
    (that was after being on the boob every hour for the evening, so that would support the whole cluster feed -> good nights sleep theory!)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

My L is 14weeks today and woke up 7 times last night to feed! 7 times!!!! She's like a bag of cats today and is feeding every hour! Are we going through a growth spurt?How long does the cluster feeds usually last? I'm bridesmaid at my sisters wedding on Saturday and don't think she wants a baby attached to my boob in all her wedding pictures :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I think there's a growth spurt about 3 months and can last 3-5 days. Don't worry though when there's loads of people around they will distract babs for the wedding! Have you a sling: that way dad could keep her very close and stop her getting over stimulated if she does get antsy while your getting photos done? And expressed milk if you can.

For her christening I spilled some (a very very small amount because expressing is hard!) milk on a muslin and put it in her pram when she was asleep and it seemed to help: she slept through the entire meal much to both grannies disgust! Might be worth a try too?

cyning wrote: »
    I think there's a growth spurt about 3 months and can last 3-5 days. Don't worry though when there's loads of people around they will distract babs for the wedding! Have you a sling: that way dad could keep her very close and stop her getting over stimulated if she does get antsy while your getting photos done? And expressed milk if you can.

For her christening I spilled some (a very very small amount because expressing is hard!) milk on a muslin and put it in her pram when she was asleep and it seemed to help: she slept through the entire meal much to both grannies disgust! Might be worth a try too?

Thanks Cyning I'll definitely try the breast milk on the muslin cloth. We have a sling but daddy won't use it. Apparently it's not manly enough???

cyning wrote: »

Thanks Cyning I'll definitely try the breast milk on the muslin cloth. We have a sling but daddy won't use it. Apparently it's not manly enough???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭misspumpqueen

Hi all, had my baby at the start of July and only tried breastfeeding for a day. I really regret not trying harder and was wondering what people thought of trying to reintroduce baby to breast? Would it be worth it if the baby will start to be weaned in the next few months? Snd has anyone reintroduced bf at 3/4 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Hi,
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/
    Few tips on that website. Also it would be a good idea to get in touch with breastfeeding support groups and find good lactation consultant. There is a lot of positive and successful stories about relactation. Also you don't have to wean at 6 months:) I'm feeding 10 months now and we are not planning to stop any time soon ( try to explain to the baby no more boobie after 6 months ;). Breastfeeding is not only about milk :)
    Fair play for considering relactating:) I hope you find good support. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

It's nicer than what my husband says about them ;) the word hippy gets mentioned a lot!

Misspumpqueen the only time I've came across relactation is here http://www.empoweredwombyn.com/1/post/2012/10/why-i-am-in-awe-relactation-6-weeks-after-a-c-section.html and on Kellymom http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/ it is possible, but very difficult too. If it's something you want to do before you do anything get in touch with a lactation consultant. Good luck :)

You can get manly slings - my OH is a fan of the beco gemini (with plain decoration panel) and the baby bjorn thing. I think the more buckles they can fiddle with the better. Also they are mad on back carrying. Sorry, vast generalisations there.

My first daughters dad wouldn't leave the house without the sling when he came to collect her... Total babe magnet apparently :pac::pac:

My husband loves having our 8 weeks in the sling, it's a moby wrap type one. At a push it could look a bit Braveheart maybe, maybe you could sell it that way. :D

And misspumpqueen - what a brilliant thing to try. I know it's hard but have heard of adoptive mothers doing it so surely it will be easier for you. I know they give hormones to them but you may still have enough floating around... Definitely one for your gp and a lactation consultant. They may be able to refer you to someone with experience in that area. And best of luck! We are all rooting for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The ergo is sufficiently manly to encourage the dads to use a sling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭misspumpqueen

Hi,
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/
    Few tips on that website. Also it would be a good idea to get in touch with breastfeeding support groups and find good lactation consultant. There is a lot of positive and successful stories about relactation. Also you don't have to wean at 6 months:) I'm feeding 10 months now and we are not planning to stop any time soon ( try to explain to the baby no more boobie after 6 months ;). Breastfeeding is not only about milk :)
    Fair play for considering relactating:) I hope you find good support. Good luck :)

Hi thanks for that. I've joined la leche league forum to see if I can get any advice. I mentioned it to a friend and she basically shut down the idea as stupid and said bf isn't popular anymore anyway and it hasn't made any difference. I'm quite angry tbh :( its really getting me down that I didn't try harder..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Hi thanks for that. I've joined la leche league forum to see if I can get any advice. I mentioned it to a friend and she basically shut down the idea as stupid and said bf isn't popular anymore anyway and it hasn't made any difference. I'm quite angry tbh :( its really getting me down that I didn't try harder..

Where abouts are you based? There are some amazing supports & lactation consultants around the country.
    Don't let it get you down, every makes the best decision with the information & support they have at the time.
    It can be very difficult to reinstate but it IS possible.

So... I've just had to sit down in a shop to feed my crying baby. I'm sitting on a low window ledge near the tills. And I've just heard someone say "that's disgusting, and in a shop window and all".
    You'd swear I had a red lightbulb over my head :D

And I just got told that where I'm sitting is "unsafe" just in an FYI kind of way...
    Unbelievable.
    She has finished feeding but I'll hang on for another bit.
    And I wonder why I was the only one approached...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Confused!9

I'm on here to offer some BF tops as my fella at 13 months does not feed during the day, too distractable, but we love our morning feed in bed.

It's weird how some people are so hostile to BF (and weirdly I've only ever found it from women) - sad for them really but that's their problem.

Tops are size 12/14, M/L, and free to a good home. I'm in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Confused!9 wrote: »
    I'm on here to offer some BF tops as my fella at 13 months does not feed during the day, too distractable, but we love our morning feed in bed.

It's weird how some people are so hostile to BF (and weirdly I've only ever found it from women) - sad for them really but that's their problem.

I have 2 M&S nursing bras to offer if anyone wants them, size 34F, one black, one pink. Stupidly, I bought them, took the labels off, THEN tried them on and they don't fit :o They've never been worn. So, if anyone wants them, drop me a pm with your address and I'll stick them in the post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Corkmom2013

Hi all, i have only just discovered this board and read some of the great feedback that people have given one another, now I'm looking for similar experiences to the ones that I am going through right now, my ds is 11 weeks old today- I have been bf exclusively since he was born, after 4 weeks of bf we began to experience some problems, da became constantly distressed feeding, reflux issues, clamping down when feeding, choking on milk and general fussiness, blocked ducts, all of the above are continuing- i have been diagnosed with oversupply by lactation consultant in cork and along with this baby has tongue tie and lip tie and can't get a great latch- sometimes it feels as though feeding is a battle ground and my babys level of upset means that I can't feed anywhere outside my or friends homes. I met with dr shane curtin recently and booked in for tongue and lip tie laser, also working with LC taking dried sage once per day, may need to get ducts ultrasound, baby and myself have thrush, baby using gaviscon which had to stop due to constipation, baby has seen frabk kelleher osteopath cork twice, baby massage for colic, and been discharged now from here. In wondering if anyone experiences same as above? It's pretty complicated and upsetting as my baby is not sleeping due to reflux from poor feeding and feeding is not often relaxing for both of us- oddly enough the more barriers we have the more I'm determined to continue! Have u guys any advice re; reflux in the bf baby? Daktarin gel for under 4 month old? Oversupply? Tongue and lip tie? Feeding and sleeping in three month old baby? Also my baby refuses soothers and bottles and feeding on demand!! (Sorry long post!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Hi all, i have only just discovered this board and read some of the great feedback that people have given one another, now I'm looking for similar experiences to the ones that I am going through right now, my ds is 11 weeks old today- I have been bf exclusively since he was born, after 4 weeks of bf we began to experience some problems, da became constantly distressed feeding, reflux issues, clamping down when feeding, choking on milk and general fussiness, blocked ducts, all of the above are continuing- i have been diagnosed with oversupply by lactation consultant in cork and along with this baby has tongue tie and lip tie and can't get a great latch- sometimes it feels as though feeding is a battle ground and my babys level of upset means that I can't feed anywhere outside my or friends homes. I met with dr shane curtin recently and booked in for tongue and lip tie laser, also working with LC taking dried sage once per day, may need to get ducts ultrasound, baby and myself have thrush, baby using gaviscon which had to stop due to constipation, baby has seen frabk kelleher osteopath cork twice, baby massage for colic, and been discharged now from here. In wondering if anyone experiences same as above? It's pretty complicated and upsetting as my baby is not sleeping due to reflux from poor feeding and feeding is not often relaxing for both of us- oddly enough the more barriers we have the more I'm determined to continue! Have u guys any advice re; reflux in the bf baby? Daktarin gel for under 4 month old? Oversupply? Tongue and lip tie? Feeding and sleeping in three month old baby? Also my baby refuses soothers and bottles and feeding on demand!! (Sorry long post!)

We had a lot of those problems, though my sons lip tie went untreated as shane curtain wasn't operating at the time. But honestly, tongue tie releases solved so many problems for us- reflux, pain, etc. R was more able for the flow of milk.
    It was a huge, immediate change. I know this isn't everyone's experience but it was a total game changer for us.
    Best of luck. If you want any more details, pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Just after a few days in the MIL's. She was such a dose. "You never BF no1." (I tried and failed) "S needs to be on formula, PG (her friend, a ex teacher) says she needs to be fed formula" "Sure it (formula) has to be better, everyone is doing it" all week long. Pain in my F^@ing ass!!!! She has a vendetta against S (a 14week old baby) and doesn't want her getting any extra attention from BF. I feel crap that it means I can never really do anything alone with A, but it is only for a short time in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

wolf, my heart goes out to you. I am so glad to not be talking to mine! I have a 2 year old and the baby is now 4 months and if anything breastfeeding means I have more time for the toddler - no messing with sterilizing etc. Lets face it your MIL will criticize you for something else she's just picking on the feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

aknitter wrote: »
    wolf, my heart goes out to you. I am so glad to not be talking to mine! I have a 2 year old and the baby is now 4 months and if anything breastfeeding means I have more time for the toddler - no messing with sterilizing etc. Lets face it your MIL will criticize you for something else she's just picking on the feeding

That is her to a tee. She is obsessed with no1, so 5 minutes with no2 sickened her, not sure what a 14 week old did to her, but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

nikpmup wrote: »
    I have 2 M&S nursing bras to offer if anyone wants them, size 34F, one black, one pink. Stupidly, I bought them, took the labels off, THEN tried them on and they don't fit :o They've never been worn. So, if anyone wants them, drop me a pm with your address and I'll stick them in the post :)

Anyone? I might stick up a new thread, would hate for them to go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Maybe put them on adverts or open a thread over on pregnancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Confused!9 wrote: »

Would love to take them if still available as I have mine on a constant wash rotation and on hols soon.

Advertisement