Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

kandr10, pumping into and feeding from the same bottle is what I do, wouldn't be bothered with transferring unless the baby doesn't like the bottle that fits the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Ditto to aknitter, I pump into and then later feed from the same bottle.

Lots on breastfeeding a jaundiced baby here: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-jaundice/. This one is great http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79:breastfeeding-and-jaundice&catid=5:information&Itemid=17. The gist seems to be to *offer* very frequently, to really concentrate on making sure the latch is top notch so that she is getting as much as she can, and to try compressions while she is on the breast, so that you have a second let down etc.

If you aren't already attending a feeding support group, try to get to one. Cuidiu and La Leche League ones are great. I would avoid the HSE run ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

L is 17 weeks and has been waking up every 2 hours again the last 3 weeks. I was up 5 times last night and I'm worn out. She's feeding every time she can't wait to latch on but but how do I know If she's actually hungry or just looking for comfort? I probably have her in the terrible habit of nursing to sleep!

L is 17 weeks and has been waking up every 2 hours again the last 3 weeks. I was up 5 times last night and I'm worn out. She's feeding every time she can't wait to latch on but but how do I know If she's actually hungry or just looking for comfort? I probably have her in the terrible habit of nursing to sleep!

No such thing as bad habits at that age SnoozySuzie, don't worry at all. A lot of people would say that you should put the baby down awake so that she learns to 'self soothe' but go with whatever works at that age. I nurse my guy to sleep every night, and put him down awake for his naps, he's 7 months. Your lady is 17 weeks so this could well be the dreaded 4 month sleep regression. Doesn't happen to everyone, but when it does it's a doozy. Ours lasted 5 nights of waking up every hour. So it could well be that this is just that, and she will get back to herself after a few nights. If your nips need a break, I found a soother great for that - might be something to try. Otherwise I wouldn't worry whether she is feeding or looking for comfort cos nursing covers both those things really well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression. It's rough but normal. Hope it passes soon for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

Thanks holding! I secretly love nursing her to sleep and don't want to stop anytime soon but none of my family or friends have bf so I keep getting the comments of your giving her bad habits, she should be sleeping through the night she must be starving and the sleep deprivation had me doubting myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Hi All!

im back with number 2! he is 3 days old and gorgeous. but im feeling clueless again!!

what is best to do when your milk is coming in? my breasts are hard now and heavy but i dont know whether to express some or see how we go tonight. any ideas?

also this little man couldnt care if he ever fed!! i am making sure he does feed at least every 4 hours by stripping him and annoying him until he does feed. once he latches on he feeds for 20 mins or so so thats grand. he is still sleeping lots. so different from my little girl! anyone have a lazy baby like this? :)

Thanks holding! I secretly love nursing her to sleep and don't want to stop anytime soon but none of my family or friends have bf so I keep getting the comments of your giving her bad habits, she should be sleeping through the night she must be starving and the sleep deprivation had me doubting myself!

If you get a chance, a Breastfeeding support group can be great for social support to meet other mums who have nursed their children to sleep (and even better when they also tell you that their kids are happy now to go to sleep without boob, so you know it doesn't last forever!).
    It sounds like you're doing amazing, following your instinct. It's hard when people around you have different views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi All!

im back with number 2! he is 3 days old and gorgeous. but im feeling clueless again!!

what is best to do when your milk is coming in? my breasts are hard now and heavy but i dont know whether to express some or see how we go tonight. any ideas?

also this little man couldnt care if he ever fed!! i am making sure he does feed at least every 4 hours by stripping him and annoying him until he does feed. once he latches on he feeds for 20 mins or so so thats grand. he is still sleeping lots. so different from my little girl! anyone have a lazy baby like this? :)

Congrats!!
    We used to have to wake A every 3 hrs during day to feed ( our eldest) but S wanted to feed around the clock! They are all so different but can change from one day to the next! You could express an oz or 2 if u wanted but I'd prob just feed to demand for first couple weeks as all could change so quickly!! I think waking A every 3 hrs and never waking her at night worked well for us. Sounds like u have a great supply tho so that's a big positive! Enjoy the early days - and welcome to life with 2 :)

Well despite 'stopping feeding ' few weeks ago we still very happy with 2 feeds a day! Working great now due to a combo of feeding directly fit few days and the pump in eve for few days and then back to feeding directly. It's working out well and I'm just rolling with it !

Hi All!

Congrats!

• Advertisement

dublinlady wrote: »
    Congrats!!
    We used to have to wake A every 3 hrs during day to feed ( our eldest) but S wanted to feed around the clock! They are all so different but can change from one day to the next! You could express an oz or 2 if u wanted but I'd prob just feed to demand for first couple weeks as all could change so quickly!! I think waking A every 3 hrs and never waking her at night worked well for us. Sounds like u have a great supply tho so that's a big positive! Enjoy the early days - and welcome to life with 2 :)

Well despite 'stopping feeding ' few weeks ago we still very happy with 2 feeds a day! Working great now due to a combo of feeding directly fit few days and the pump in eve for few days and then back to feeding directly. It's working out well and I'm just rolling with it !

i know! the two are so different. he actually looked for two of his feeds today so delighted with that! my poor boobs are so full and sore. the boob that will be his next feed is so sore right now! he did some cluster feeding this evening so not entirely sure when he will be due. possibly 11 or 12. ill try him around that time anyway cos no sleep will be happening with this boob anyway!! i just keep reminding myself it will calm in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

i know! the two are so different. he actually looked for two of his feeds today so delighted with that! my poor boobs are so full and sore. the boob that will be his next feed is so sore right now! he did some cluster feeding this evening so not entirely sure when he will be due. possibly 11 or 12. ill try him around that time anyway cos no sleep will be happening with this boob anyway!! i just keep reminding myself it will calm in a few days

Yup - do just remember that - that feeling if over fullness and engorement won't last, your supply will settle and I know in my case it went they phases of being too high or too low and so just take each day as it comes! Go feed by feed and be proud of yourself - and enjoy as much as you can! As well you know the weeks soon slip by and suddenly you have a toddler! It's lovely having 2 :) a&s had their first fight today - over a toy - and I actually couldn't hide my amusement - so funny to see them interact and their relationship develop! Can't believe S is almost 28 weeks! Hope your getting some sleep - that's the hard bit - s is def not a sleeper...!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I'm going to be leaving C with my mum tomorrow for about 5 hours (I'm off to see Ireland get hammered by the All Blacks) she's 8 weeks and wondering if leaving 4 bottles with approximately 120ml of expressed breast milk will be enough? I'm sure it's more than enough but would love a few opinions from others who may have left babies for a period of time. She is feeding every 2.5 to 3 hours during the day and cluster feeds from 8 till 11pm. Sleeps most of the night. She weighs 5kg!

lmullen wrote: »
    I'm going to be leaving C with my mum tomorrow for about 5 hours (I'm off to see Ireland get hammered by the All Blacks) she's 8 weeks and wondering if leaving 4 bottles with approximately 120ml of expressed breast milk will be enough? I'm sure it's more than enough but would love a few opinions from others who may have left babies for a period of time. She is feeding every 2.5 to 3 hours during the day and cluster feeds from 8 till 11pm. Sleeps most of the night. She weighs 5kg!

The very rough guide is 1oz/ hour.
    Do you mean there's 120ml between the 4 bottles or in each bottle?
    If between the bottles I'd suggest trying to get another 30ml just in case. If its in each bottle, that's bucket loads!
    Does your mum know about paced bottle feeding?

Enjoy the game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

liliq wrote: »
    The very rough guide is 1oz/ hour.
    Do you mean there's 120ml between the 4 bottles or in each bottle?
    If between the bottles I'd suggest trying to get another 30ml just in case. If its in each bottle, that's bucket loads!
    Does your mum know about paced bottle feeding?

Enjoy the game!!

It's 120 in each bottle - I'd rather have to much than have my mum run out!
    I don't know what paced bottle feeding is??? I'll Google it!

lmullen wrote: »
    It's 120 in each bottle - I'd rather have to much than have my mum run out!
    I don't know what paced bottle feeding is??? I'll Google it!

Lol you've loads! :D

Devastated after the match :(

Had to get heel prick done in hospital today. Went grand but while there mentioned a lump under my arm. Ended up gettin it checked blood taken and u'd said showin low levels of an infection so on antibiotics now.

Oh my boobs are so gigantic and sore and after a feed they are minimally smaller!! Do they just suddenly start getting better or should I be expressing? So hard to know! He asked for his feeds today so delighted with that!

Had to get heel prick done in hospital today. Went grand but while there mentioned a lump under my arm. Ended up gettin it checked blood taken and u'd said showin low levels of an infection so on antibiotics now.

Oh my boobs are so gigantic and sore and after a feed they are minimally smaller!! Do they just suddenly start getting better or should I be expressing? So hard to know! He asked for his feeds today so delighted with that!

The lump *could* be a duct blocked with milk. When your baby is latched on, massaging gently can help clear any blocks, and will also help the milk flow so your breast might empty easier.

Expressing will stimulate your body to make more milk, supply generally settles down around the 6 week mark.

Congrats on the new baby red fraggle! I would avoid expressing this early, but if you need relief you could hand express or maybe just do a tiny bit of electric expressing, just to take the edge off. It's a horrible feeling isn't it. I remember once I missed a feed as was at a meeting, and drove home like the clappers because my boob was so big and hard! Rushed in and thew the baby on me to get some relief. LOL

• Advertisement

thanks guys for the tips! what i ended up doing was expressing the boob once he finished to empty it another bit. its hardto know if he empties it and it confuses me to start him off on the boob he had earlier. my daughter always fed one boob each feed.

he is after cluster feeding for the last 2 or 3 hours which was a great relief for one boob anyway! it will prob be solid by the morning!! hes a little unsettled now. not sure why. his poo is a bit watery. not sure if thats normal! its amazing how much ya forget everything!!!

oh and the lump is under my arm. apparently a third nipple though i see no sign of one but it sure does feel like it has milk in it. flared up last time too!!

Your boob is never 100% empty anyway, as it's always making more milk. If you think you have mad over supply, block feeding can help (offer the same side for a block of 2 or 3 hours, then switch). I wouldn't worry about the poo. I remember googling about poo when my LO was born and the variety is amazing (!). Dr Jack Newman had a recent post about poo on his FB page too (worth a follow) and the gist was that it's all normal! My god a third nipple now there is one for the books!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

holding wrote: »
    Your boob is never 100% empty anyway, as it's always making more milk. If you think you have mad over supply, block feeding can help (offer the same side for a block of 2 or 3 hours, then switch). I wouldn't worry about the poo. I remember googling about poo when my LO was born and the variety is amazing (!). Dr Jack Newman had a recent post about poo on his FB page too (worth a follow) and the gist was that it's all normal! My god a third nipple now there is one for the books!

I have two more nipples under my breasts. I feel like a cow!

! Wow, all new to me. Must be fairly common if two of us on the thread have extra nips though! Are they, er, fully operational? None of my business, just mad curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

holding wrote: »
    ! Wow, all new to me. Must be fairly common if two of us on the thread have extra nips though! Are they, er, fully operational? None of my business, just mad curious!

No, not functioning. Just two little pale brown coloured growth like things under my breasts. I remember Lily Allen showing her one off before.

Ah right! Sure maybe I have one myself then if they are that discreet. Learn something new every day. Love this thread for learning! I haven't been able to read through the weaning thread like I have this one, because I'm not up all hours feeding a newborn anymore (that's when I would read through this thread). Should probably, as we are weaning now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Any one have any advice on how to control or limit oversupply? My baby has gotten extremely fussy, crampy and has been feeding aggressively for over a week now and I'm beginning to think that feeding is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You could try hand expressing for a minute before each feed?

Does anyone know how long expressed milk keeps in the fridge? Just started expressing again this week, feel clueless but got a few ounces within 15 mins which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

lazygal wrote: »
    You could try hand expressing for a minute before each feed?

Does anyone know how long expressed milk keeps in the fridge? Just started expressing again this week, feel clueless but got a few ounces within 15 mins which is great.

I think 2-3 days in the fridge, and 3 months in the freezer, I'm open to correction tho

• Advertisement

I think 5 days in the fridge is written in my Medela instructions, but some women find theirs goes off before then, so 2-3 days as Nik said. Always worth a sniff before using to make sure!

Advertisement