Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    Any one have any advice on how to control or limit oversupply? My baby has gotten extremely fussy, crampy and has been feeding aggressively for over a week now and I'm beginning to think that feeding is the problem.

What age is the baby DoctorBoo? It could be a growth spurt - do you have the Wonder Weeks app - this lets you know when to expect them. Fussiness and aggressive feeding v common in a growth spurt.

Kellymom lists some symtoms for real oversupply here - http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/. Do you find that the baby is avoiding comfort feeding etc?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    No, not functioning. Just two little pale brown coloured growth like things under my breasts. I remember Lily Allen showing her one off before.

Are they like a mole/ raised freckle or bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Check out block feeding for over supply- feed on one side only for a certain length of time, 3/4 hours, then the other side for the next 3/4 hours.
    The side you're not feeding from will get very full, and this will send the message to your body that it doesn't need to produce as much milk.
    I would suggest maybe talking to a Cuidiu bfc or la Leche league leader first though to make sure it is oversupply that is the problem, otherwise you'll end up with a reduced supply when you were actually making the right amount.

Expressed milk can keep for up to a week in the fridge according to kellymom but I personally wouldn't leave it more than 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Neyite wrote: »
    Are they like a mole/ raised freckle or bigger?

Like a biggish mole type thing.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Like a biggish mole type thing.

I'm home now and able to google. Hmmm... It may just be a mole I have so. its underboob, on the ribcage, and is like a freckle only slightly raised. Does not look nipple-y, so I'm guessing its just a mole.

/cyberchondriac.

Kinda bummed, would be cool to be able to say I've a witches nipple. :D

• Advertisement

I'm home now and able to google. Hmmm... It may just be a mole I have so. its underboob, on the ribcage, and is like a freckle only slightly raised. Does not look nipple-y, so I'm guessing its just a mole.

/cyberchondriac.

Kinda bummed, would be cool to be able to say I've a witches nipple. :D

No, No wait! I think I DO have one, two even ! Reading this I think I've 2 pretty much on the milk line.

LOL Neyite, following this with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

No, No wait! I think I DO have one, two even ! Reading this I think I've 2 pretty much on the milk line.

Same here, they are like mens nipples minus the areolas. I feel like a freak and and so embarrassed talking about it :/

Mine just look like a mole. One is very far down the milk line. :o

Apparently Anne Boelyn had one, probably formed part of the "proof" that she was a witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

i dont really notice anything on my third nipple under my arm but thats what the breast check doctor said it was and my lik coming in is confirming it for me! if onlu i coulod find a nipple on it to express from to reduce its size! nearly a tennis ball at this stage but think its slowly going down! madness!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats red fraggle

I have those things on my chest too. I had them on my son too and got the doctor to look at them as they went very dark brown after a while. He said they were due to hormones during pregnancy and totally benign. One fell off during my last pregnancy and a new one grew. In fact my tummy was full of new moles and growths! A bit freaky looking alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

holding wrote: »
    What age is the baby DoctorBoo? It could be a growth spurt - do you have the Wonder Weeks app - this lets you know when to expect them. Fussiness and aggressive feeding v common in a growth spurt.

Kellymom lists some symtoms for real oversupply here - http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/. Do you find that the baby is avoiding comfort feeding etc?

She's just over three weeks old. I thought early last week that it might be a growth spurt, but ten days later, I don't think it can be.
    Thanks for the leads on the App and site. I'll download the app straight away.

liliq wrote: »
    Check out block feeding for over supply- feed on one side only for a certain length of time, 3/4 hours, then the other side for the next 3/4 hours.
    The side you're not feeding from will get very full, and this will send the message to your body that it doesn't need to produce as much milk.
    I would suggest maybe talking to a Cuidiu bfc or la Leche league leader first though to make sure it is oversupply that is the problem, otherwise you'll end up with a reduced supply when you were actually making the right amount

Thanks for that. I think I'll ring someone about it in the morning.

She's just over three weeks old. I thought early last week that it might be a growth spurt, but ten days later, I don't think it can be.
    Thanks for the leads on the App and site. I'll download the app straight away.

Three week growth spurt it is! http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/ I remember our one, it was awful, so tiring.

holding wrote: »
    Three week growth spurt it is! http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/ I remember our one, it was awful, so tiring.

But could it really last ten days?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Yes yes and yes. Growth spurts with my little girl made me think I was losing my mind. But they do pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Yep my little man's 3week growth spurt lasted a week to 10days. I thought i was going to die!! That one was definitely the worst for me. I didnt find the 6week one half as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Looking for a bit of advice...
    My little girl is 2 months now weighing 5kgs when she's feeding the last few days she's dribbling loads (my top is soaked) and has been coughing a lot during feeds. Could it be her latch? I'm probably not being as careful putting her on as I used to be. I also have a good supply so could the let down be too quick for her?
    Thanks!

Yes indeedy. Ours lasted 7 horrible long days which I could as 14 days because I was up all night every night with him.

lmullen wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice...
    My little girl is 2 months now weighing 5kgs when she's feeding the last few days she's dribbling loads (my top is soaked) and has been coughing a lot during feeds. Could it be her latch? I'm probably not being as careful putting her on as I used to be. I also have a good supply so could the let down be too quick for her?
    Thanks!

If the coughing is mainly at the start of a feed it could be a fast let down which is kind of spurting into her mouth - do you think it might look like that? If it is then expressing a little bit first before each feed might take the edge off it before she takes it.

Otherwise, I would try being super careful with her latch for the next few feeds to see if it makes a difference. I always found myself that if I got in any way lazy with the latch, it got very sore for me, but that taking more time to check it and unlatch and relatch helped.

• Advertisement

Hi all. My little man is now 10 days old!! Today he puked up about 15 mins after finishing each feed. Anyone any ideas? It even smelled like puke. Is it normal? He doesn't seem unsettled really. Could it be somethin I ate and he so do I look to yesterday's food? My first baby fed constantly and never puked so this is new!

Hi all. My little man is now 10 days old!! Today he puked up about 15 mins after finishing each feed. Anyone any ideas? It even smelled like puke. Is it normal? He doesn't seem unsettled really. Could it be somethin I ate and he so do I look to yesterday's food? My first baby fed constantly and never puked so this is new!

Was it much? If it was only about a tablespoon or so I wouldn't worry. Did it dribble out or was it projectile? You only need to worry about the projectile stuff. Milk is made from your blood not from what goes into your gut, so I wouldn't worry about what you ate.

olding wrote: »
    Was it much? If it was only about a tablespoon or so I wouldn't worry. Did it dribble out or was it projectile? You only need to worry about the projectile stuff. Milk is made from your blood not from what goes into your gut, so I wouldn't worry about what you ate.

Thanks. It was more than a tablespoon but don't think it was projectile. He's settled other than that. Didn't puke after the last feed so hopefully it's just normal puke! I also think the hiccups can make him vomit so maybe thats it.

Thanks. It was more than a tablespoon but don't think it was projectile. He's settled other than that. Didn't puke after the last feed so hopefully it's just normal puke! I also think the hiccups can make him vomit so maybe thats it.

• Advertisement

He can puke as much as he wants as long as he doesn't get dehydrated - you can tell if he's dehydrated by a *noticeably* sunken soft spot in the front of the skull, *plus* a listless demeanour. If he's happy out then no bother :)

Advertisement