Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cuinn

Hi all,

I'm new to boards and have a question for you ladies if you don't mind!

My little boy is almost 3 weeks now and I began pumping last Friday. He is doing great we do bottle feeds at night and breast during the day.

So I'm using the Avent comfort pump and the last couple of days I have noticed pain and red marks on my nipples, has anyone else experienced this with an electric pump?
    I'm sure I'm using it correctly on the lowest setting and not for over say 30 mins. Is that still too long?
    Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Are you getting much milk when you pump, Cuinn? Is it painful while you are using it?

If I were you, I would definitely try a different pump to see if you notice a difference. Can you borrow one from a friend, or attend a breastfeeding support meeting to borrow from there?

Yeah I'm getting lots of milk, I'm finding it really good apart from this.
    I've noticed its a little better tonight but still sore! :-(

I'm in a support group yeah, I might talk to them next week about it, thanks holding!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cuinn, maybe your nips are rubbing off the attachment, and its sore because of friction. Your nipples are not supposed to be rubbing against any of the parts. Could that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Cuinn wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm new to boards and have a question for you ladies if you don't mind!

My little boy is almost 3 weeks now and I began pumping last Friday. He is doing great we do bottle feeds at night and breast during the day.

So I'm using the Avent comfort pump and the last couple of days I have noticed pain and red marks on my nipples, has anyone else experienced this with an electric pump?
    I'm sure I'm using it correctly on the lowest setting and not for over say 30 mins. Is that still too long?
    Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :-)

Hi,

I had this issue. I was pressing the pump too hard agains my breasts and nipples. Once I eased up a little, the issue resolved. It hurt like crazy at the time though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

my little puked a huge amount earlierthen 20 mins later cried fora feed and he kept it down. the vomiting bug is in thehouse. How would i know if he had it? he seems happy and not upset in any way.

also i think he might be puking every time (well not every time) he feeds out of the left breast but doesnt puke from the right breast!!! any ideas?

If you all have a tummy bug and you are bfing him, redfraggle, then he is probably the only one in the house who won't get it! Because he'll get your antibodies etc ;)

That would be really weird, if he was refluxy with milk from just one boob!

Dinkie wrote: »
    Hi,

I had this issue. I was pressing the pump too hard agains my breasts and nipples. Once I eased up a little, the issue resolved. It hurt like crazy at the time though![/

Ah maybe I'm doing that. I'll try it a little lighter on my breast! Thanks for the tip!
    It's good to know someone else experienced it!

Neyite wrote: »
    Cuinn, maybe your nips are rubbing off the attachment, and its sore because of friction. Your nipples are not supposed to be rubbing against any of the parts. Could that be it?

I dont think so neyite, the only bit touching my breast is the pump bit that's supposed to. 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I had a similar problem at one stage and it was like a friction blister because my nipple wasn't centred in the funnel thing when I was pumping.

• Advertisement

A bit of a pointless post but I have no where else to vent!

I have an important work thing tomorrow which means I'll be away from baba (8 months old tomorrow) from 8am til 6pm. I have only managed to get 6oz or so pumped so far. I *might* be able to get another 6oz pumped between now and tomorrow morning. He's on solids and water sips too, but I think I will have to leave a standby emergency carton of formula just in case. Totally gutted after 8 months EBF. I guess I am just annoyed at myself for not being organised enough to have more of a stash!

He may not need it at all, and I'll feed him right before I leave and when I come back. And it's silly to be upset at the thought of him having formula ever, since he has had tons of stuff that isn't breastmilk since 6 months old! I don't know what's wrong with me, maybe hormonal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

holding wrote: »
    A bit of a pointless post but I have no where else to vent!

I have an important work thing tomorrow which means I'll be away from baba (8 months old tomorrow) from 8am til 6pm. I have only managed to get 6oz or so pumped so far. I *might* be able to get another 6oz pumped between now and tomorrow morning. He's on solids and water sips too, but I think I will have to leave a standby emergency carton of formula just in case. Totally gutted after 8 months EBF. I guess I am just annoyed at myself for not being organised enough to have more of a stash!

He may not need it at all, and I'll feed him right before I leave and when I come back. And it's silly to be upset at the thought of him having formula ever, since he has had tons of stuff that isn't breastmilk since 6 months old! I don't know what's wrong with me, maybe hormonal!

He'll be totally fine! If you got another 4oz it would be bang on, 1oz/ hour. He likely won't even need that though if he sips away at water and has a bit of grub.

Good luck with the work thing :)

Aw thanks a million Liliq. Sometimes it really helps just to hear someone say it will all be okay! I had no idea of the 1oz per hour rule, that is fantastic, and totally doable. I've only ever left him before for nights out, and he can drink 10oz of milk before bedtime easily, but then I guess I hadn't allowed for clusterfeeding to get him through the night. Anyhow, feeling a ton better thank you :D This thread is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I am cracking out the freezer supply for the next 48 hours. I am sick with a horrible flu. tired, weak, headaches, the lot. So I am pumping and dumping while I dose up on pain meds for the aches and taking exputex and some cough medicine. I feel a bit crappy about it, I even got in two little ready made bottles of formula just in case (no Step-Mother around so she'll only get it off her father or me if it comes to it.) I want to nuke this out of me. I feel bad, but the sooner I am better the sooner I will be better able to look after her.

I'm pretty sure that none of those medications have any effect on breastfeeding Wolfpawnpat. As far as i have read, you practically have to be under general anasthetic to be unable to breastfeed. The bible on this is Dr. Hale's book, and every La Leche League meeting has one, as far as I know. More here: https://www.llli.org/faq/medications.html.

I took exputex when A was around 10 weeks. There's no conclusive yay or nay with taking it when breastfeeding. My pharmacist said to take it after feeding so I'd have at least 2 hours until feeding again.

Talk to your pharmacist as they should look up the ingredients of any over the counter meds and check if they're ok or not.

Ibuprofen is fine, codeine isn't.

I wouldn't be dumping any precious milk unless absolutely necessary.

Hey, thanks for the advice re the pump. Felt much better today!
    Another question though :-)

How do I go about building up a freezer supply? I'm afraid to pump too much in case I don't have enough left to feed him, he can be a cluster feeder so I am worried if I pump too much I won't have enough when he's hungry!

I want to have a stash though for emergencies! :-)

If you all have a tummy bug and you are bfing him, redfraggle, then he is probably the only one in the house who won't get it! Because he'll get your antibodies etc ;)

I know it would be so weird!! Got him weighed today and has put on over a pound in a week so I guess his puking and short feeding aren't a problem :-)

I've still escaped the bug! Felt a bit off but hopefully won't get it!

I know it would be so weird!! Got him weighed today and has put on over a pound in a week so I guess his puking and short feeding aren't a problem :-)

• Advertisement

holding my daughter has been having 1 4oz bottle of breast milk a day since starting crèche at 6 months. Right up to this she was feeding 3-4 times a day but there was no way I could send in anymore than 4oz a day and I didn't want to start giving formula.

She's been absolutely fine and not in the least distressed about the change. I usually feed her around 6am and again at 5.45pm so that's almost 12 hours. She gets her bottle around 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I'm pretty sure that none of those medications have any effect on breastfeeding Wolfpawnpat. As far as i have read, you practically have to be under general anasthetic to be unable to breastfeed. The bible on this is Dr. Hale's book, and every La Leche League meeting has one, as far as I know. More here: https://www.llli.org/faq/medications.html.

I want to take cough meds and headache tablets so I am pumping and dumping for the night. I think she'd be soluble by the time even the small little doses would get into her.
    I took exputex when A was around 10 weeks. There's no conclusive yay or nay with taking it when breastfeeding. My pharmacist said to take it after feeding so I'd have at least 2 hours until feeding again.

Talk to your pharmacist as they should look up the ingredients of any over the counter meds and check if they're ok or not.

Ibuprofen is fine, codeine isn't.

I wouldn't be dumping any precious milk unless absolutely necessary.

According to the pharmacist it is not recommended to take exputex while bfing. :rolleyes: you know the "doctors differ" saying. TBH I doubt she is too good. She told me to get an antibiotic for a flu!!!:rolleyes: A minor sinus infection means tablets according to her!

I was told by the hospital that I was okay to take codeine after I came home after baby. I even double checked with the doctor that it was safe for bfing! Do they even know what is okay?

I just want to nuke the flu out of me. My supply has been low while I have been sick. I rather just dump and use my freezer load while dealing with this. I am going to get some motilium tomorrow its been so low. She is constantly frustrated with me the last 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Slightly off topic but Lactmed is a good iPhone resource for meds while breastfeeding. Also Wendy
    Jones at http://www.breastfeeding-and-medication.co.uk you can contact her if you have any doubts about what you can and can take. Hale is the bible from what I've researched but no app on that yet!

When I had my little girl I was told Panadol or if I was very very bad neurofen. Can't bear the thoughts of that pain with a toddler and a newborn this time. Especially when there are breastfeeding friendly meds there, it's just some docs and pharmacists haven't a clue. There is research there, it's just breastfeeding can be a bit forgotten so they don't really know where to get info from. No excuse though.

Hope you feel better soon :) oh and I'd do same if I were you: I have done! All above info more for info not for you tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Cuinn wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the advice re the pump. Felt much better today!
    Another question though :-)

How do I go about building up a freezer supply? I'm afraid to pump too much in case I don't have enough left to feed him, he can be a cluster feeder so I am worried if I pump too much I won't have enough when he's hungry!

I want to have a stash though for emergeencies! :-)

I try to pump for 10 mins each side after her morning feed, as my supply is good then! I get about 4ozs. You supply will match demands so once your system gets used to pumping your supply will increase. It's great having a stash in the freezer!!

lmullen wrote: »
    I try to pump for 10 mins each side after her morning feed, as my supply is good then! I get about 4ozs. You supply will match demands so once your system gets used to pumping your supply will increase. It's great having a stash in the freezer!!

Thanks Imullen, I already pump in the morning for a bottle at night that my OH can give him as im like u and have a good supply then. I should prob try to do little pumps throughout the day to increase my supply but I was just wondering what others did!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I was told by the hospital that I was okay to take codeine after I came home after baby. I even double checked with the doctor that it was safe for bfing! Do they even know what is okay?

Afaik, codeine had been considered ok until a fairly recent study showed traces of morphine in the milk if the mother took codeine. It was only trace amounts but for very young/small babies it could induce heavier sleep, which could be dangerous.

• Advertisement

Really iguana? I was always told codeine was a big no no when breastfeeding. I had to get prescription pain killers recently and my gp gave me the same anti inflammatory ones the hospitals give after child birth.

There's so much contradictory information out there when it comes to breastfeeding.

Advertisement