Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrappage Scheme + Buying Used Car - Good Plan?

• 25-03-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

I own a Merc CLK 230 (2000). It's in a garage at the moment, they're saying it's a problem with the ECU. I'm waiting to find out how much it will cost to fix but I think it could cost a couple of grand.

I was thinking of trading it in before it broke down. I was being offered €4k for it. So I don't want to spend too much on repairing it. Probably won't be worth it.

I was thinking of availing of the scrappage scheme and buying a new car. Then trading that in straight away for a second hand Merc or BMW instead of getting my car fixed.

What's the cheapest new car you can buy and what do people think of this plan in general?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The scrappage is only worth €1500, I can't see how that wouldn't be eaten up by the depreciation on your 'new' car upon delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Ford is giving up to €4,500 in scrappage and dealer discounts - apparently until end of April and Renault also around same levels.

However I think your plan is flawed, not sure how much interest a BMW dealership will have in a Fiesta/Focus/Megane etc - especially one with zero mileage and so it is clear that you pulled a quick switch under scrappage.

Who is going to give you over the price paid, or even near it?

Renault I know give their own version of scrappage on cars over 8 years old (my 02 mondeo blew head gasket and I got rid to Renault with a €4k trade in allowance) - would you consider a Laguna?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Were some places not offering €3k? I never really paid much attention to the ads on tv tbh cause I wasn't planning on buying a new car before today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Government scrappage is only €1500, anything above that is dealer discounts which will also be available to new buyers of the car you take.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    what do people think of this plan in general?

Sheer lunacy to be honest, just buy a 2nd hand Merc or whatever if that's what you want, the only time a new car makes sense (debatable) is if you are keeping it a good while or if you have money to throw away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement