Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS THIS OK TO ASK? Registry clean

Options
  • 25-03-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Tried installing a program on xp, not great so uninstalled it. Now how do I get rid of all of it's traces such as registry and god knows where else. Tried one of freeby registry cleaners and of course when it came to doing something a message popped up and said oops you need to buy me...
    Can anyone help pls?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,379 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The delightful realm of interweb crap.

In the future, dont trust downloads from just anywhere. In the past I've had good trust and experiences with downloads from cnet, and file hippo. These two sites deal in all sorts of stuff, a lot of it freeware.

For registry cleaning you should try ccleaner. Priform is an excellent freeware developer

http://www.ccleaner.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

bigmoma22 wrote: »
    Tried installing a program on xp, not great so uninstalled it

Did you uninstall it the proper way ?
    Ie. through the programs "uninstall" menu item in Windows, or through the Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs ?

If you just deleted the folder it was in, that won't uninstall it nicely for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigmoma22

Uninstalled through setup programs option of removing prog.
    Cnet is great indeed, never heard of hippo, will try thanx a bunch.

Another couple of questions.
    I like to mess things up so reinstalling xp from scratch every few months and p*** off rest of family using same pc... Have one physical hard divided into two drives, C used for clean install, can I install same OS on D (because thing says it will cause problems...) so that when reformatting I just have to do it on one partition and I can leave one dedicated to everyone else? Does that mean I have to reinstall all programs double ie if I load windows on C but say Word is on D under same version of OS but different install, will I still be able to use it or do I have to have a version installed on C?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Revo Unistaller runs the program's uninstaller and then does a sweep of the registry to clean up any other files left over. Download.com link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I haven't tried this myself, but you could try having the program files folder on the same drive for both installs. Check out some of the registry values here
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

*edit* what you are looking for may require more than just this

• Advertisement
Advertisement