Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray People no longer free online

• 25-03-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was extremely disappointed today to discover that I now have to pay to access the Bray People online - with only a small amount of information available free. Living far from home I enjoy keeping up to date on local news and have been using the service for the past few years. Why is the Bray People starting to charge now when other newspapers are realising that that is not the way to go - considering the large amount of free information out there (e.g. the Irish Times now being free, when previously only the Independent was).

The arguments for a small newspaper, costs etc don't really fly - the local newspaper I read in Botswana is free online and I'm sure their profits are slightly less than BP.

I guess I'll just have to talk to my Mum more now to keep updated :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm confused ... I can see it all online and I haven't paid a penny. Maybe it's only free for people accessing it through an Irish ISP?

EDIT: cancel that .. I hadn't actually clicked on an article. They must have just recently started charging. Bugger!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Speaking of the Bray people did anyone see this weeks front page? That is just disgraceful. Seriously what the f*** is wrong with some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

finnegal wrote: »
    I was extremely disappointed today to discover that I now have to pay to access the Bray People online - with only a small amount of information available free. Living far from home I enjoy keeping up to date on local news and have been using the service for the past few years. Why is the Bray People starting to charge now when other newspapers are realising that that is not the way to go - considering the large amount of free information out there (e.g. the Irish Times now being free, when previously only the Independent was).

The arguments for a small newspaper, costs etc don't really fly - the local newspaper I read in Botswana is free online and I'm sure their profits are slightly less than BP.

I guess I'll just have to talk to my Mum more now to keep updated :/

I noticed this as well very disappointing, I read also a lot of papers are now going down that route, the News International Company owned by Rupert Murdoch is starting to charge for its content (the Sun, The times (english) and Sunday Times) as is the Irish Times again! However the Irish Indo, the main title in Independent News and Media which owns the Bray People has not started charging I hope they dont as it will really limit Irish news portals to rte.ie and breaking news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0326/media.html
    Times newspapers to charge for online content

Friday, 26 March 2010 12:53
    News International has announced that customers will be charged £2 a week to read The Times and The Sunday Times online from June.
    Both titles will launch new websites in early May, separating their digital presence for the first time and replacing the existing combined site, Times Online.
    The company said the sites will be available for a free trial period to registered customers.
    From June, customers will be able to view www.thetimes.co.uk and www.thesundaytimes.co.uk, for a charge of £1 for a day's access or £2 for a week's subscription.
    Payment will give readers access to both sites. The weekly subscription will also give access to certain new applications.
    Access to the digital services will be included in the seven-day subscriptions of print customers to The Times and The Sunday Times.
    News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks said: 'At a defining moment for journalism, this is a crucial step towards making the business of news an economically exciting proposition.
    'We are proud of our journalism and unashamed to say that we believe it has value.
    'This is just the start. The Times and The Sunday Times are the first of our four titles in the UK to move to this new approach.'
    The Irish Times has also launched a new subscription-based paper for online readers.
    It replaces the previously free 'Today's Paper' section on its website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Not much help but you can sign up for 4 weeks free on their site.

Advertisement