Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto shotgun ???

Options
  • 25-03-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I know the 12g auto is a “restricted” firearm and my reasons for wanting that particular type is a safety one. I am blind in my right eye and afraid of a misfire from a standard 12g..
    As the autoloader ejects to the side I thought this would cut down on the risk of any blowback into my face.

My questions are am I right in my assumptions and should I put this reason on my application? Or am i being over cautious?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's only restricted if its capacity is greater than three shots, and most are available with a three shot capacity, so I wouldn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

+1 It wasn't me!
    Goodoak wrote: »

My questions are am I right in my assumptions and should I put this reason on my application? Or am i being over cautious?:confused:

A standard 3 shot semi auto is very common place,classed as unrestricted and I dont see why you should have to give a reason for wanting to shoot that particular type of shotgun.

So I think just apply for your license and dont be over cautious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Goodoak

Thanks guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I know the 12g auto is a “restricted” firearm and my reasons for wanting that particular type is a safety one. I am blind in my right eye and afraid of a misfire from a standard 12g..
    As the autoloader ejects to the side I thought this would cut down on the risk of any blowback into my face.

If I were in your position I would be looking at buying a good quality double, there will be exhausts from a semi auto that will be throwing debris around your face, Ive been burned in the eye more than once with a semi auto whilst shooting clays, ive seen others get the same, I reckon your better off with a double imo...others may differ:)

If I were in your position I would be looking at buying a good quality double, there will be exhausts from a semi auto that will be throwing debris around your face, Ive been burned in the eye more than once with a semi auto whilst shooting clays, ive seen others get the same, I reckon your better off with a double imo...others may differ:)
    thanks foxhunter. would price come into play then or do all doubles have these vents?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

......... I reckon your better off with a double imo...others may differ:)

I'd be inclined to agree with foxshooter on this one. The semi auto's breach opens each time a shot is fired allowing more debris to escape, that and the exhaust not to mention the normal blowback suffered from any shotgun.

Again just an opinion.

PS - Of course there is always safety glasses which cut down the risk of debris regardless of firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Sorry "foxshooter" And thanks everone else i'm a virgin when it comes to all this stuff so all my assumtions have gone out the window:o

thanks foxhunter. would price come into play then or do all doubles have these vents?

theres no vents goodoak, just a solid lock up and all gases going out the end of the barrel, ive never seen any one suffer any type of problem with a good double thats safe and reliable, the semi auto on the other hand as Ezri says has exhaust at the ejection port and would pose more of a hazard to your eye than a locked up double imo..I tell you this cos ive had a couple of nasty burns which although were harmless in the long term caused me to grind my teeth for a couple of minutes and think of England!..I mean Ireland:D..I would feel a lot more comfortable with a
    double barrel in your case:)

a double and safety glasses and your as safe as houses..

Thanks again foxshooter you guys have put me on a rather steep learning curve. When I told my wife I was going to join a gun club she asked me why I couldn’t chase teenage girls like every other man in their midlife crises?:p I’m beginning to think maybe she had a point.:rolleyes:

Thanks again foxshooter you guys have put me on a rather steep learning curve. When I told my wife I was going to join a gun club she asked me why I couldn’t chase teenage girls like every other man in their midlife crises?:p I’m beginning to think maybe she had a point.:rolleyes:

I gave up chasing teenage girls..they are fit to outrun me now:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Whatever gun you get take Foxshooter's advice and get yourself a pair of safety glasses, a good pair and never go shooting without them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solidchrome

One advantage of the semi-auto is less recoil. The gasses from the fired cartridge push the breech back which then moves forward and simultaneously feeds the chamber/ barrel with another cartridge. So all that energy which would smack you in the shoulder with other types of shotguns is used in the reloading of your next cartridge in semi-autos.

Ive never had any kind of debris from semi-autos but the guys next to me on DTL have :)

:cool: glasses it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I think from reading your initial post that you have had some strange “advice” before you posted here.:confused:
    A misfire happens when the primer (the little roundy yoke in the middle of the base of a cartridge) on being hit by the firing pin does not ignite, causing nothing to happen i.e. no bang. That is a relatively rare occurrence.
    A side by side or an under & over does not "Blowback." If either is fitted with ejectors, it will expel empty cases (and nothing else) when the gun is broken open. Covering the breech with your palm will catch them. If they do not have ejectors, they are “extractor”, and the empties have to be pulled out by your fingers.
    Like most shooters, I would far rather shoot with someone with a sxs or an u/o than with someone with an auto, because I always know when a sxs or u/o is “safe” i.e broken open.
    Your real problem is the way you will shoot. If you are a leftie it will be no problem, left eye, left shoulder, but if you are a right-hander you should consider a crossover stock. These are not available in autos.

Teenage girls are probably more tiring than rough shooting and, if you are married, more expensive than driven shooting, so stay away from them.;)
    P.

Your real problem is the way you will shoot. If you are a leftie it will be no problem, left eye, left shoulder, but if you are a right-hander you should consider a crossover stock. These are not available in autos..

I am right handed but i have learned to do many things as a leftie, including shoot a left handed bow, though this was quite some time ago. will shooting left handed be a big problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I shoot a right handed shotgun left handed because my vision is dominant in that eye. Although I really do suck with a shotgun its not because of that so you shouldn't have any problems shooting left handed.

PS I also shoot a left handed bow... a little better with that than the shotgun:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I am right handed but i have learned to do many things as a leftie, including shoot a left handed bow, though this was quite some time ago. will shooting left handed be a big problem?

There are a few issues that need to be taken into account.

A shotgun is used differently to either a bow or a rifle. The former is used for “snap” shooting, where the gun is “thrown” up to the shoulder and fired quite instinctively at a target; in the latter there is studied aim at the target. Two eyes are helpful for the shotgun, because stereopsis is very useful to judge speed and distance e.g. estimating what is happening to a clay target is similar to judging an on-coming car.

Eyedominance
    Having only one eye is not as big a handicap as might be thought. A substantial number of shooters have what is known as an “Eye Dominance” problem which requires them to close one eye when shooting. Most people are right handed and have a dominant right eye. That means that the target is lined up with the bead on the end of the barrel. Shooting from the right shoulder, with a dominant left eye will cause the shooter to appear to be on target but will in fact shoot to the right of the target, the miss distance increasing the further away the target. Right handed shooters with a dominant left eye will close it before shooting, effectively making them one-eyed!

Cast
    Most shotguns are made standard for right-handed shooters. The stock is deliberately bent to one side (called “cast”) to place the back of the barrels in front of the dominant right eye. If you are shooting a right-handed gun from your left shoulder, the cast will be wrong and the gun will not fit you properly.

Your options
    A right-handed gun with the stock bent for left eye cast (this is called “cast on”). This will allow you shoot from the left shoulder, put the back of the barrels in line with your eye and front bead. It has the benefit of a top-lever that will move in the right direction for you, a right-hander.
    If you cannot shoot from your left shoulder as above, you will need to look at a crossover stock. This is a contorted stock that will put everything in front of your left eye. (Google crossover stock.)

Find a dealer who can let you shoulder and preferably fire a few guns before you decide. No reason why you should not become a good shot and get plenty of enjoyment.
    Rs
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Remember that if you are shooting a standard semi auto from your left side, it will eject the empty cartridge to the right, across your face.

You can of course order a left-handed semi, but this may well cost you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I've had several Benelli semi-autos over the years. They eject the shells well clear of your face (also a leftie).

Debris is not a problem but then I always wear safety glasses.

Can't speak for other models.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I’ll be tying out a few guns to see which one suits me best and a pair of safety glasses :cool: that seems to be the best advice. I’m enjoying the board in general great place to learn about the sport:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement