Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by cyclist on pavement.........again.

Options
  • 25-03-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Got my take-away lunch at Bobby Byrne's O'Connell ave. Walked out of shop, cars parked on pavement at traffic lights. Proceeded to walk towards town. Wasn't looking where I was going as I was putting change in wallet while balancing two lunches. When I had that done changed direction of stride towards road and wham cyclist going at speed hits me.
    He then shouts at me for not looking where I am going and then says if it happens again he'll 'do something'. I walk towars him and suggest he do something now. He cycles off, on the pavement, past Bobby Bynes shop where people are entering and leaving.
    Rant over.

What can a person in this situation legally do. If hit by a car you can take car registration and insurance details. a cyclist is unlikely to hang around even if I did call the police.

Incidentally what annoyed me wasn't so much getting bit but that old people go in and out of Bobby's for their take away lunches and school kids from the school project were about. One could have popped out from behind the cars on the pavement and got whacked by the cyclist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Next time say nothing, but carefully follow them home.... once you've noted their address go home and get your own bike and wait carefully somewhere out of sight. When they next exit their House cycle at them at full pelt until you have a suitable collision and see how the little Fcuker likes it themselves......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Raiser wrote: »
    Next time say nothing, but carefully follow them home.... once you've noted their address go home and get your own bike and wait carefully somewhere out of sight. When they next exit their House cycle at them at full pelt until you have a suitable collision and see how the little Fcuker likes it themselves......

Tut tut tut. Inciting violence again. Some people never learn.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Tut tut tut. Inciting violence again. Some people never learn.

SmackMyYak has offered himself up for practice - as a moving target :D

Builder - Why not post this scenario on the Legal Discussion Forum here perhaps citing the possibility of personal injury through the impact or a scalding from a spilt coffee resulting from their actions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Raiser. if you cannot answer the op's query constructively, then stay out of this thread.

Raiser. if you cannot answer the op's query constructively, then stay out of this thread.

It was a joke for Gods sakes! Wasn't that obvious? :confused:

- Anyway I apologise unreservedly for the slight possibility that anyone that had seriously considered kamikaze cycle attacks of a Guerilla nature on my recommendation.....
    Builder - Why not post this scenario on the Legal Discussion Forum here perhaps citing the possibility of personal injury through the impact or a scalding from a spilt coffee resulting from their actions etc.

Anyhow I thought the above was a valid contribution (even if I do say so myself) - Theres a lot of Legal Eagles on that Forum that will easily dissect and distil the core elements and arguments down into just what our Builder Friend wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

You'd have to follow the same procedures as if someone assaulted you on the street - look for witnesses and notify the Gardaí. Perhaps the incident was caught on CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It was a joke for Gods sakes! Wasn't that obvious? :confused:

- Anyway I apologise unreservedly for the slight possibility that anyone that had seriously considered kamikaze cycle attacks of a Guerilla nature on my recommendation.....

Anyhow I thought the above was a valid contribution (even if I do say so myself) - Theres a lot of Legal Eagles on that Forum that will easily dissect and distil the core elements and arguments down into just what our Builder Friend wanted.

don't feign ignorance with me. you know exactly which post of yours I am referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for suggestion Raiser.
    I will post query on legal boards.
    I posted it here as many Limerick people have concerns about cyclists on footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

If you really want a laugh try posting the incident in the cycling forum!!!! I once made the mistake of asking a question over there:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I'll send one flying with my Chrylser later and we can call it quits.

• Advertisement

I'll send one flying with my Chrylser later and we can call it quits.

You think it's acceptable to assault a cyclist bike because some other idiot decided be an utter twat and cycle on the footpath? Your logic is astounding.
    baza1976 wrote: »
    If you really want a laugh try posting the incident in the cycling forum!!!! I once made the mistake of asking a question over there:eek:

What would anyone on the cycling forum be able to do? They'll say you should contact the Gardaí and report an assault like I said above. Would you post it on the golf forum if a scobe attacked you with a golf club?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm reckon cycling on a footpath probably isn't legal.

I'm reckon cycling on a footpath probably isn't legal.

It's completely illegal.

I posted a thread in AH last year similar to this. Luckily though I wasn't hit. I was walking along the Dublin Road and he cycled up behind me nearly hitting me. I have been hit before by this. I shouted at him to get off the path and he started calling me a cnut. He also stopped his bike and waited for me to catch up to him (I think he was trying to intimidate me by this). He started moaning that he couldn't go on the road because of the traffic! Poor thing.

When will these fools learn the footpath is for pedestrians? Years ago I was crossing Cecil St down by the GPO and because it's a one way was only looking to my left. Next minute a cyclist comes at me from my right and starts yelling at me to watch where I'm going. I shouted it was a one way and he yelled "Yeah this way" and thought it hilarious.

Between the scumbags with knives, the twats cycling on the footpaths and idiot motorists Limerick City is a dangerous place for walking. I feel for the OP and good for you for standing up to him when he tried to threaten you. He should have been ashamed of himself.

Got some grief off a courier last night for swerving at him. I got out and burst him with a headbutt Yosser Hughes style. Cool as you like, I told him that cyclists should always wear a helmet with him sprawled on the footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Billy - post one more single piece of crap like that and you're taking a 2 week break from this forum. Final warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

is it def illegal to cycle on a path? I mean, who's going to tell an 8yr old out with his parents to cycle on the rd?

cyberspi wrote: »
    is it def illegal to cycle on a path? I mean, who's going to tell an 8yr old out with his parents to cycle on the rd?
    Yeah but an 8yr old isn't going to be downtown cycling around are they? They're not going to do the damage a grown man hurtling along can do are they? The paths are for pedestrians. If it was me I'd feel embarrassed to be an adult cycling on a path.

Yeah but an 8yr old isn't going to be downtown cycling around are they? They're not going to do the damage a grown man hurtling along can do are they? The paths are for pedestrians. If it was me I'd feel embarrassed to be an adult cycling on a path.

He has a point though, either bikes are illegal on the footpath or they are not. Little old grannies can't drive their fiestas on the footpath even though they are going much slower than regular drivers.

A Ford Fiesta weighs over 1000 kgs, a bike not much more than 10 kg. Which is going to do more damage?

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    A Ford Fiesta weighs over 1000 kgs, a bike not much more than 10 kg. Which is going to do more damage?

Maybe it was an extreme comparison but I feel a valid one.
    How do you differentiate between a dangerous and a non dangerous bike? And don't say the garda could his "common sense" , that is all beaten out of them in Templemore.

concussion wrote: »

A bike can easily do more damage.
    With a person it you are talking 100kg. Momentum at at 15mph and you have a force distributed over a narrow area.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Maybe it was an extreme comparison but I feel a valid one.
    How do you differentiate between a dangerous and a non dangerous bike? And don't say the garda could his "common sense" , that is all beaten out of them in Templemore.

Bikes belong on the road, not the footpath. They only exception to this should be children under supervision - you can't expect a 5 year old to comprehend how to safely cycle on the street.
    A bike can easily do more damage.
    With a person it you are talking 100kg. Momentum at at 15mph and you have a force distributed over a narrow area.

And add a person to a the fiesta and you get 1100 kg. Either way, the car will do far more damage than a bike will.

Advertisement