Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling from Dublin to Fermoy

• 25-03-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

I have to attend a wedding in a few weeks time just outside Fermoy and have decided to cycle down instead of miss an entire weekends training! (a well deserved pint will be had if I get there in one piece:o)

I was just wondering if anyine here has done this / similar route before and if you have any advice about route planning? I'm thinking the best way to go might be straight through Kilkenny etc.. but maybe others know different re: traffic/safety etc..

If anyone has done a similar route, i'd also be interested to know how long it took? My usual weekend spins are around 120/140k at the moment, but i'm not too sure about how much time would be lost to climbing and navigating on this trip

Any help/advice appreciated!:pac:

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

paging blorg....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I'd be interested in knowing what you were bringing with you, are you travelling light? Back-pack or Pannier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm presuming you don't have a GPS? It does make it easier. If you don't probably best stick to an easily-navigable route by towns and R roads.

I've done Dublin-Cork and Cork-Dublin. Note Cork-Dublin is easier due to the prevailing wind. At least with Dublin-Fermoy you are taking 40km or so off the distance.

Cork-Dublin took 10h30 including stops for lunch and puncture but I am reasonably experienced at this sort of thing and had the wind with me.

It is quite flat if you want it to be. With the new motorway the old N8 is quiet, flat and with a good road surface for cycling.

Cork-Dublin route and report. I'd follow that in reverse. So basically:

- out by Punchestown to Kilcullen
    - at Kilcullen onto the N78 and straight on that as far as Castlecomer
    - Here I went straight on a small road but that is very up and down
    - I would suggest taking the windier R694 to Ballyragget. I could see that and it looked easier.
    - Continue on R694 to Freshford
    - Turn onto R693 to Urlingford
    - From Urlingford turn onto the R639 which is now the old N8, straight as far as Cashel
    - At Cashel exit on the R687 (old N8) to Cahir
    - Cahir exit on R668 towards Clogheen
    - I took a diversion on a smaller road that went over the Kilworth mountains
    - As easy to continue to Clogheen on R668
    - Then R665 to Mitchelstown
    - Then R667 to Fermoy

Enjoy!

Here is a suggestion on Google Maps.

Seems to be a route parallel to the motorway (presume old N8) Cahir-Mitchelstown-Fermoy. The route over the Kilworth mountains is picturesque, but the M8-parallel route would be flatter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If it's a day when I'm off, I'd have no problem guiding you from The Pike, Ballylihane to Urlingford.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Thanks a million for all of the responses, especially the details you provided Blorg and your offer C.Havoc! (i might take you up on that)

I'll be travelling down with just my regular cycling gear on as my long suffering Girlfriend has been good enough to agree to meet me at our B&B in Fermoy with my change of clothes etc.! Otherwise i'm guessing a pannier might have been my first choice

Unfortunately i've no GPS for the bike but Blorg you've provided some pretty solid directions there so i'm hoping they'll do the job. Out of curiosity, what kind of GPS are you using?

I hear you regarding the wind as I know that can make the difference between an enjoyable cycle and never-ending slog!, with anyluck i'll get a nice day for the spin but as they say - "hope for the best and plan for the worst!"

All going well i'll post a report here for you guys afterwards as well!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

If time is an issue you can follow the route from Blorg, but instead of going to Clogheen at Cahir. Stay on the old N8 to Mitchelstown.
    When you reach Mitchelstown, go through the town dont take the relief road. Relief road is way longer and has a b%^*ch of a climb, that is avoided if you go through the town.
    If you do go through Clogheen there is a turn 4km approx after Ballyporeen to the Left, signed posted for Kilworth. This is worth 5km -6km to you. When you enter Kilworth turn right through village. Turn left in village and it 5km -6km to Fermoy.
    If time is your friend turn in Clogheen for Lismore this will bring you up the Vee, in the same direction as last years TOI. At Lismore you can turn before the Castle for Fermoy, on the aptly named R666. Road is rough for a few KM between there and Ballyduff.

I've gone over the Vee and the aptly-named R666 on a previous cycle (just found that post), lovely cycle but you would want to be feeling frisky and have time on your side. The climb wasn't actually too bad but the road surface on the descent and the R666 Lismore-Fermoy was painful. Beautiful view though, well worth it if you have the time. From the top of the Vee it is downhill all the way to Lismore and then only 25km to Fermoy (I had to go on to Cork and that bit really took it out of me.)

th_IMGP1795.jpg th_IMGP1796.jpg th_IMGP1800.jpg th_IMGP1803.jpg th_IMGP1805.jpg th_IMGP1806.jpg

Hi Blorg et all, thanks a million for that map and those directions.
    I took a bit of a 'recon' spin from Clonskeagh to Athy on Saturday to check out the beginning of the route before this weekend (I know what you mean by headwind).

I left at 11am in the glorious sunshine and after a bit of getting lost (I hadn’t cycled in that direction before), I managed to find my main route which was an undulating meander through the countryside with some drags. There was a pretty steady headwind as well which seemed to turn just in time to be a headwind for my trip home, so I stayed down on the drop handle-bars for about half of the time. I About 60k into the cycle I ran out of water and with no shops around had to wait 25k before I could get some more. I was parched from the sun and cycling and stopped eating as I had nothing to wash my tasty (not) Power-Bars down with. Eventually I managed to get my bottles refilled but I think this break in nutrition had a part to play in my bonking around 110k in.
    I was on my way home and had been going for about 4:45hrs when I suddenly began to feel the power seep out of my legs, just like someone had pulled a plug. I managed to reach the top of the drag I was on before slowly cruising to a halt by the side of the road. With only some surprised looking sheep for company I pulled off my helmet and sun glasses and had a rummage around in my pockets for my secret weapon – 1 caffeinated power-gel. I don’t normally use these gels but feeling as lethargic I was I pulled out the one I kept in reserve and prayed it would give me the jolt I needed! Thank fully the gel did everything it said on the tin and before I knew it I’d left my four-legged friends and was back in the drop-bars on my way home. When I got back I dropped off the bike and did a relaxed transition (10 minutes) and then headed out for an easy 5k. All in all a good days work.

This Friday is the day i'm hoping to do the full spin down to Cork so i'll let you know how it goes (weather permitting!)

Thanks again all for the advice/input!:pac:

By your mention of transition I am suspecting you are a triathlete... if you are familiar with tri bars I would stick them on the bike, make a big difference in a headwind.

• Advertisement

I headed off on my cycle to Fermoy last Friday and made it in one piece! Total distance was 241k and I had some brilliant weather for it. Full report here as promised! Thanks to you all again for your advice!

Blorg you have my respect for the mammoth Tour of Ireland you did especially over such a short space of time - serious stuff!

Thanks again!:pac:

IE

Advertisement