Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Mowbray leaves Celtic?

• 25-03-2010 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard on the headlines that Tony Mowbray is no longer with Celtic

no details as such, just "sources" saying he is gone, that the players have been told, supposedly happened about 15-20 minutes ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Sad i think, i know its been a terrible year but he needed to rebuild the whole squad, that takes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Poor decision in my opinion,should have been given time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

MOG7 wrote: »
    Sad i think, i know its been a terrible year but he needed to rebuild the whole squad, that takes time.

Totally agree. I think he needed at least another season after bringing in so many new players. Whoever takes over next will probably have a smaller budget to work with and also be told that he has to work with the current squad.

Maybe the Celtic was to big for Mowbray and if thats the case then Neil lennon won't get a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yeah i think its pointless sacking him at this stage tbh, may aswell have just let it run till the end of the season and had a look around then if needs be, there isnt anything whoever comes in can do in the league now

time was needed imo, i know it was terrible the last while but you can hardly expect so many changes of personnel and success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Poor decision in my opinion,should have been given time

:pac:

have ya watched the state of us this season?

he had to go. losing 4-0 to st.mirren will never ever be acceptable to celtic.

Who are we thinking we should get in? Lennon till the end of the season I reckon but I think we should go for a foreign manager at this stage.

Guss Hiddink is available? I'd imagine dermot desmond would be willing to put a bit of money into having a proper manager in there next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Walter Smith sees another Celtic manager off the premises..... You have to hand it to the man...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

kryogen wrote: »
    there isnt anything whoever comes in can do in the league now

There is. Build for next season, in advance of next season. We were hearing week after week about taking defeats on the chin, against the dross of the bottom end of the SPL.

This had to happen, I was convinced it would last night after that game. Much as I'm sure he was a nice bloke, he had to go, and now is definitely the right time.

Brewster wrote: »
    Walter Smith sees another Celtic manager off the premises..... You have to hand it to the man...

good old uncle walter certainly knows what it takes in scotland :(

Guss Hiddink is available? I'd imagine dermot desmond would be willing to put a bit of money into having a proper manager in there next season.

Celtic fans will put pressure on Desmond and the board about the next manager. He can't really afford another mess or season the the current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am surprised at how bad he did at celtic. Im Hibs fan and he really saved our club from going bust. Got in some great players, his devlopement of Youth players was excellent and we came third in his first season also beat Rangers 3-0 twice the next season away in Ibrox.

He better manager then that hope he comes back he good guy just did not work out this move.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Total knee jerk reaction. The leagues over and yes results were bad but wait till the end of the season. Pointless at this stage.

PauloMN wrote: »
    There is. Build for next season, in advance of next season. We were hearing week after week about taking defeats on the chin, against the dross of the bottom end of the SPL.

This had to happen, I was convinced it would last night after that game. Much as I'm sure he was a nice bloke, he had to go, and now is definitely the right time.

how? how can someone build for next season now? they cant get rid of, or bring in any players, in the summer they will more then likely want to clear a few out and get a few in, but they will have less money then TM had to do it!

The league is lost, there is nothing anyone can do about that now

you dont think the players have to take any blame for their performances? the goalkeeper last night, had an absolute mare, should have saved all of them imo

Players left, some with Mowbrays blessing and some he didnt want to go, he wasnt able to get in the quality of players to replace them unfortunatly, but such is the way in Scottish football these days, players would rather play in the Championship easily nowadays over Scotland

I stand by the comment that he should have been given time, no point in letting him bring in all those new faces and then sacking him after a few months, likely most of those players he signed will be shown the door and the new manager will make his signings, they will need time to bed in, learn to play togeter etc.

Total knee jerk reaction. The leagues over and yes results were bad but wait till the end of the season. Pointless at this stage.

you obviously know nothing about the celtic football club.

Losing 4-0 to st. f**in Mirren is an automatic sackable offence.

every celtic fan across the world knew last night he would be gone this morning.

there was never any doubt.

how? how can someone build for next season now? they cant get rid of, or bring in any players, in the summer they will more then likely want to clear a few out and get a few in, but they will have less money then TM had to do it!

simply - might as well give neil lennon the experience for the future.

league is gone, nothing to play for.

why? what do you think gives you a divine right to steam roll teams like St. Mirren?

the players werent at it and were well beaten on the day

you would swear it was Real Madrid the expectations some have

United were beaten by Burnley and Leeds this season, did you hear a bunch of United fans shouting for Alex to get the chop?? silly comparison i know but the point im making is that you will have bad patches, you will have bad days, you will have more then in the past now because the quality of players attracted to the club are poorer then before so the league will be a little bit closer and if the weaker teams are willing to bust a gut they will have every chance of getting results, Rangers were beat last night too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Managing one of the old firm is the easiest job in football, you only have to beat one team. Its hardly genius. The scotsman at birmingham is doing a far tougher job than walter smith is imo. This celtic squad is rank awful to be honest.

The Rangers squad isnt much better!

I wouldnt take away from Walter Smith in what he is and has done in Scottish football, and for his time at Manchester United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

United were beaten by Burnley and Leeds this season, did you hear a bunch of United fans shouting for Alex to get the chop?? silly comparison i know but the point im making is that you will have bad patches, you will have bad days, you will have more then in the past now because the quality of players attracted to the club are poorer then before so the league will be a little bit closer and if the weaker teams are willing to bust a gut they will have every chance of getting results, Rangers were beat last night too

Its not as if this is celtic's only woeful result this year!

Its not as if this is celtic's only woeful result this year!

i know, but cant you see that with the amount of players in and out the odds were firmly stacked against this being a banner year for the club?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I may not know much about the club but how can sacking a manager when the league is over and after a freak result be a good thing for any club?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Aye, he couldnt cut it internationally or in a better league so hes just going to stick it out at Rangers till he dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Should have never hounded out the Ginger One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's the best time to do it. New man comes in, sees all the dead wood, gets rid early without wasting the summer transfer window.

Spot on by the board.

i bet there is still a large contingent of Celtic fans who are still happy Strachan is gone tbh

why? what do you think gives you a divine right to steam roll teams like St. Mirren?

the players werent at it and were well beaten on the day

you would swear it was Real Madrid the expectations some have

it was an accumulation of factors built up over the season that got him sacked. obviously if we were neck and neck with rangers, playing good football he might have got away with it.

but losing 4-0 to a club like st.mirren .... no-one in their squad would get near our reserves probably. it's the managers fault. he has to motivate the players and get them playing. its the spl ffs.

i bet there is still a large contingent of Celtic fans who are still happy Strachan is gone tbh

absolutely. i wish the guy never managed us. smarmy little ginger ..... let's stay on topic though :D

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's the best time to do it. New man comes in, sees all the dead wood, gets rid early without wasting the summer transfer window.

Spot on by the board.

he isnt in the job one year yet, he was forced/decided to get rid of loads of players, had to bring in loads of new ones, and at that, players of a lesser calibre then the ones sold

how is he expected to deliver in his first season with so many new players?

id have given him another year, if there hasnt been an improvement coming to christmas maybe, then you obviously have to look at his position, but instant success cannot be the water mark for whether you keep your job or not

it was an accumulation of factors built up over the season that got him sacked. obviously if we were neck and neck with rangers, playing good football he might have got away with it.

but losing 4-0 to a club like st.mirren .... no-one in their squad would get near our reserves probably. it's the managers fault. he has to motivate the players and get them playing. its the spl ffs.

fair enough, i respect your opinion, i just think would have kept the faith with him till next year

• Advertisement

obviously if we were neck and neck with rangers, playing good football he might have got away with it.

Might have got away with it? Surely that would have been a good achivement no?

So who realistically is going to be a contender?

So who realistically is going to be a contender?

Paul Lambert, Roy Keane, David O Leary for a start.

Vanbis wrote: »

I would never go to a celtic match again if roy keane got the job!

Maybe the other 2.

Lambert is a possibility, Keane wouldnt touch it imo, have my doubts O Leary would either, someone mentioned Guus Hiddink, sure he might be interested *cough* *cough*

If Lennon does take the caretaker job and aquits himself well i wouldnt mind him having a go

• Advertisement

I dont think keane would go near it either (thank god)!

I bet he'll have something to say about it tho!

Might have got away with it? Surely that would have been a good achivement no?

losing 4-0 to st.mirren will always be a disgrace for anyone involved with a celtic side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oh man, if Royston gets that one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

have ya watched the state of us this season?

he had to go. losing 4-0 to st.mirren will never ever be acceptable to celtic.

Who are we thinking we should get in? Lennon till the end of the season I reckon but I think we should go for a foreign manager at this stage.

this is the problem with football fans today. completely unrealistic expectations - agh my team is losing sack the manager and get in guus hiddink. you do realise celtics and the spls stock has taken a dive in the last 3 years and i would be surprised if you even managed to get anyone in that had half the rep Mowbray had before Celtic...

Lambert is a possibility, Keane wouldnt touch it imo, have my doubts O Leary would either, someone mentioned Guus Hiddink, sure he might be interested *cough* *cough*

If Lennon does take the caretaker job and aquits himself well i wouldnt mind him having a go

If any Celtic fan thinks they have a chance of getting Guus Hiddink then they need their head examined. I think David O Leary would be a good shout but i'd i have my doubts if he would want the job.

Also don't think Keane would fancy it either, he didnt as a player and that was a mistake so can't seeing him going back.

• Advertisement

i agree with a lot of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what Bastard Prince said tbh
    sad but true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Don't see the point in keeping him till the end of the season.

The results have been appalling so he was never going to be in charge next season.

Celtic have nothing left to play for this year so sacking him now versus then has no real negatives if he was going to be gone anyway, which he certainly was.

Get a new man in, let him have a few no pressure competitive games to appraise the squad before they go off on their holidays rather than him having to decide what areas need strengthening blindly in the summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Aye, he couldnt cut it internationally or in a better league so hes just going to stick it out at Rangers till he dies.

What planet are you on man? He took over a shambles from the Vogts here and made the Scotland team respectable again.

He took a bankrupt Rangers team to a Uefa cup final.

He took a bankrupt Everton side to upper echolons of premiership, and John Giles nominated him for manager of the year for his achievement. He has seen about 5 Celtic managers off the premises in two spells as Rangers manager.

Smith is one of the best British managers of his generation. Ask Sir Alex, the best around, for his views on Walter.

losing 4-0 to st.mirren will always be a disgrace for anyone involved with a celtic side

I'm not disagreeing with you, and i understand its not the only bad result Celtic have had all season but i still think it was the wrong decision. can't see how it will benfit Celtic in any way at all.Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I never understood why Mowbray (I didn't think he was able to keep it tight enough at the back or sharp enough going forward) got the job in the first place I think O'Leary would go for it to get his career back on track but I think he'd be hoping to use it as a stepping stone

If he wants to use it as a stepping stone he would be mad imo, unless there is some new investment going to be put into the squad that i havent heard about?

Anyone know if Charlie Nichollas has being on Skysports news about this? I'm sure he has alot to say on the matter :)

Anyone know if Charlie Nichollas has being on Skysports news about this? I'm sure he has alot to say on the matter :)

hadnt been on it the last time i looked anyway :)

hadnt been on it the last time i looked anyway :)

He might fancy his chances with Phil Thompson as his No. 2 :rolleyes:

He might fancy his chances with Phil Thompson as his No. 2 :rolleyes:

the thought of the 2 of them on the sideline at CP made me laugh out loud there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement