Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Mowbray leaves Celtic?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is one obvious choice but he better not take the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh celtic and rangers.....
    they should be given as examples to the rest of the world on how to f**k up a whole nations football league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Brewster wrote: »
    What planet are you on man? He took over a shambles from the Vogts here and made the Scotland team respectable again.

He took a bankrupt Rangers team to a Uefa cup final.

He took a bankrupt Everton side to upper echolons of premiership, and John Giles nominated him for manager of the year for his achievement. He has seen about 5 Celtic managers off the premises in two spells as Rangers manager.

Smith is one of the best British managers of his generation. Ask Sir Alex, the best around, for his views on Walter.

Exactly, he left a successful Scotland team to help a rangers team in crisis.

He's just a bluenose through and through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rafa :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

mike65 wrote: »
    There is one obvious choice but he better not take the job.

Who would that be Mike....Des ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Mick McCarthy?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

kryogen wrote: »
    how? how can someone build for next season now? they cant get rid of, or bring in any players, in the summer they will more then likely want to clear a few out and get a few in, but they will have less money then TM had to do it!

The league is lost, there is nothing anyone can do about that now

you dont think the players have to take any blame for their performances? the goalkeeper last night, had an absolute mare, should have saved all of them imo

Players left, some with Mowbrays blessing and some he didnt want to go, he wasnt able to get in the quality of players to replace them unfortunatly, but such is the way in Scottish football these days, players would rather play in the Championship easily nowadays over Scotland

I stand by the comment that he should have been given time, no point in letting him bring in all those new faces and then sacking him after a few months, likely most of those players he signed will be shown the door and the new manager will make his signings, they will need time to bed in, learn to play togeter etc.

Have you seen him in the dug out? After matches? No more time needed imo - his heart was not in it. No point prolonging the agony for all. Get someone in who can work with the squad that's there and try to improve for the rest of the season. There's some good individual players there, just not working as a team. Certainly enough to never ever lose to St. feckin' Mirren 4 nothing.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Who would that be Mike....Des ?

Owen Coyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Owen Coyle
    But sure didn't he already turn it down last year

• Advertisement

Its hard to know who would be interested. Neither mcarthy or coyle would be in the faintest. I couldnt see them anyway!?

Owen Coyle

I think he had the chance before he left Burley and wasn't interested so can't see him leaving Bolton for it.

I think O'Leary and McCarthy would be good bets.

What about John Collins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jazzy wrote: »
    they should be given as examples to the rest of the world on how to f**k up a whole nations football league

Care to elaborate??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

ziggy wrote: »

Facts are facts eh Ziggy... You might not like the man, but by goodness the man has some record of achievement....

• Advertisement

What about John Collins?

I think Celtic fans will demand a big name from Desmond and the Board after the mess this season and i can't see them settling for the likes of Collins or Lambert but i could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What about John Collins?

Was about to thank that because I read it as Joan Collins. :pac:

ziggy wrote: »

Ha ha! My shirt is perfectly clean thanks.

I stuck a 100 quid on Rangers to win league at start of season as they were my tip as you know. My drooling will stop at bookmakers door in a few weeks when I collect my winnings!!

Celtic will have to appoint a top class manager to compete with Walter Smith and Lennon is not the answer. Mark Hughes would be my choice, dont know how realistic this is though.

Yeh, I never thought of Mark Hughes! That cud be a good one. Would he want it?

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if he took it and can't see him doing so. He has being linked with West ham of late but i dont think that will happen until the end of the season if Zola is let go or sacked.

Hed be first choice on my list. Id move heaven and earth to tie him down on a 3 year contact, pay him whatever it takes. I think its realistic. As I said earlier, better to pay over the odds for a proven manager than wasting it on a dud like Fortune. Its money much better spend. Just look at what Walter Smith has achieved from a squad of players no better than Celtics.....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

Losing 4-0 to St. Mirren was an awful result, Rangers beating them with 9 men in the cup final last week makes it look even worse. From what iv seen of Celtic this season they've been pretty poor, defensively they've been shocking. I'm not surprised they got rid of him.

I'd be very surprised if Paul Lambert took over he said a couple of weeks back that he doesn't want to return to Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Brewster wrote: »
    Hed be first choice on my list. Id move heaven and earth to tie him down on a 3 year contact, pay him whatever it takes. I think its realistic. As I said earlier, better to pay over the odds for a proven manager than wasting it on a dud like Fortune. Its money much better spend. Just look at what Walter Smith has achieved from a squad of players no better than Celtics.....??

Jesus, talk about a one track mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Mick McCarthy
    Roy Keane
    Mark Hughes
    Paul Lambert
    Owen Coyle
    Dave O'Leary
    George Burley
    Slavan Bilic
    Neill Lennon
    Steve Coppell

Be very surprised if its anyone other than one of those!

whycliff wrote: »
    Mick McCarthy
    Paul Lambert
    Dave O'Leary
    George Burley
    Neill Lennon

I think George Burley is acutally a very good shout for the job.

I think the list above is what Celtic fans can expect.

Neil Lennon in for now

Neil Lennon in for now

I met himself once in Swords, he had a few pints on him ;).

I never thought he'd go on to become a coach but i hope he does well starting this weekend against Kilmarnock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

whycliff wrote: »
    Mick McCarthy
    Roy Keane
    Mark Hughes
    Paul Lambert
    Owen Coyle
    Dave O'Leary
    George Burley
    Slavan Bilic
    Neill Lennon
    Steve Coppell

Alan Curbishley? He never gets mentioned for jobs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Jazzy wrote: »

Yeah, of course...having success is the worst thing you could ever do within football!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Feel sorry for big Tony, he's a proper gentleman, should have been given more time this season was a washout anyway why not give him until Dec of next season to improve?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

karma_ wrote: »
    Feel sorry for big Tony, he's a proper gentleman, should have been given more time this season was a washout anyway why not give him until Dec of next season to improve?

I feel sorry for him too. Not nice when people get sacked. However, what do you think would happen between now and Dec? There nothing - not a single shred of evidence - to suggest anything other than by Dec we'd be half way to losing yet another league title if we kept Mowbray.

No thanks. Sometimes you have to just cut your losses, and today was one of those days. Absolutely the right move by the board at a crucial time.

I think most of the posters suggesting he should have been given more time are people who haven't seen just quite how bad things have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mark Hughes?? come on now, a high profile manager will more then likely turn the job down unless they are assured they will be backed financially, and imo that wont happen

Rangers have a better squad this year btw, contrary to what has been said here, Celtic dont have anyone in the team who scores goals the way Boyd does, and the experience and leadership of guys like Weir are invaluable in certain games

Bougherra is a pretty handy player also, Davis, Mculloch etc.. are all superior to their Celtic counter parts imo

they have retained alot of players who have are seasoned SPL players, whereas Celtic are blooding players into the league this year

Mark Hughes?? come on now, a high profile manager will more then likely turn the job down unless they are assured they will be backed financially, and imo that wont happen

Rangers have a better squad this year btw, contrary to what has been said here, Celtic dont have anyone in the team who scores goals the way Boyd does, and the experience and leadership of guys like Weir are invaluable in certain games

Bougherra is a pretty handy player also, Davis, Mculloch etc.. are all superior to their Celtic counter parts imo

they have retained alot of players who have are seasoned SPL players, whereas Celtic are blooding players into the league this year

Dont think you could argue with any of that. One way of looking at it, how many of the current Celtic team would get into the Rangers team? Keane obviously, and an on form McGeady would be the other. I am honestly struggling after this. Boruc maybe, but there is not a lot between him and McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:pac:

have ya watched the state of us this season?

he had to go. losing 4-0 to st.mirren will never ever be acceptable to celtic.

Who are we thinking we should get in? Lennon till the end of the season I reckon but I think we should go for a foreign manager at this stage.

Guss Hiddink is available? I'd imagine dermot desmond would be willing to put a bit of money into having a proper manager in there next season.
    you obviously know nothing about the celtic football club.

Losing 4-0 to st. f**in Mirren is an automatic sackable offence.

every celtic fan across the world knew last night he would be gone this morning.

there was never any doubt.
    absolutely. i wish the guy never managed us. smarmy little ginger ..... let's stay on topic though :D
    I would never go to a celtic match again if roy keane got the job!

These posts are utterly fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Vanbis wrote: »
    Paul Lambert, Roy Keane, David O Leary for a start.
    Lambert is a possibility, Keane wouldnt touch it imo, have my doubts O Leary would either, someone mentioned Guus Hiddink, sure he might be interested *cough* *cough*

If Lennon does take the caretaker job and aquits himself well i wouldnt mind him having a go

Lambert is going nowhere but Norwich.

kensutz wrote: »
    Lambert is going nowhere but Norwich.

I think Paul Lambert has already said this morning on Skysports news he has no interest in becoming the next Celtic manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not surprised that he's gone after the result but still think he's a good manager, just couldn't get it right up there.

If I was a Celtic fan, I'd be hoping that whoever comes in does a clear out of all the dead weights in the squad. There's players there just not good enough to play for them. Particularly, the backline needs a complete overhaul whilst they have 6 first team strikers (inc. loans) on the books at the minute. The squad is too big IMO - and they should go back to quality over quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I hope Neil Lennon makes the most of this chance and can take it on into next season.

He was an excellent player for Celtic and has a good knowledge of the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement