Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Build

Options
  • 25-03-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Can you have a look over this build and let me know if you would make any changes, or if im missing anything.

Where would be the best place to purchase?

Cheers

Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 5870 "Dirt 2 Edition" 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Case - Corsair Obsidian 800D

PSU - Corsair HX 850W Modular Power Supply

CPU WATER-COOLER - H50-1 CPU Cooler

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail + Assassin's Creed II Game

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 XMS2 PC2-8500C5 TwinX Dual Channel (TWIN2X4096-8500C5D)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD2500AAKS)

Arctic Cooling MX-3 Thermal Compound

Total so far on overclockers.co.uk is......................£1,180.68 just under €1400

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That RAM is DDR2 you need to be getting DDR3! Change that Western Digital Caviar for a Samsung F1, its faster. PSU is probably overkill but I can't really say anything as I have one myself ;) Also I'm not a big fan of those H50 coolers, they are very pricey and they seem like too much hassle unless you are planning on doing some serious overclocking. Besides that its a pretty good build but if your willing to wait nVidia are supposedly releasing their new range of GPU's on the 6th April. Apparently they will "mark a milestone in the history of gaming."

As regards online retailers you should do comparisons with ebuyer, komplett and hardwareversand and see if you can save any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Lads this is the setup im looking at now.....

Intel I5 - 750
    Geil black dragon 4gb ddr3
    ASUS P7P55D evo
    ATI HD5870 1gb

Corsair Obsidian 800
    Corsiar 650W modular psu
    Samsung f3 hard drive
    Windows 7 premium 64 bit

Any major changes you would make, anything sticking out as wrong.
    (whats the story which is better, the paste or the adhesive tape for the CPU)

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Arctic silver 5 is what you need :)

The Corsair Obsidian 800 while unique looking is just not worth the money imho. Very meh performance compared to much cheaper Cooler Master cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

get urself a noctua cooler. best bang for the buck from what i've heard. i went with the coolermaster v8 which is v good but im told noctua are better.

Cheers lads, it's been about two years since I built my last system, I was big into then but kinda lost interest for a while.....

So what's windows 7 like for games?

Keep the suggestions coming lads, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Windows 7 is all round very good including for games. You'd be mad not to get it!

Lads maybe a stupid question but i assume nothing much has changed when putting machines together, am i not missing anything obvious for this build am i???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

no, its same old same old building. The coolers have changed though and dont have those stupid push pins from socket 775 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

lmimmfn wrote: »
    no, its same old same old building. The coolers have changed though and dont have those stupid push pins from socket 775 days :)

Exactly.

Pretty much all the good CPU coolers (and some crap ones like the V8/V10) require a metal plate to be used on the back of the motherboard to aid supporting the extra weight. Most of the better cases come with a hole in this area.

Thanks for all the advice so far lads i might be back on for more next week when i start building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MartyMcG

Add an SSD to the build. I'm going create a new build soon with an SSD for the OS and games, so I'll need ~50Gb. Then add on the samsung for storing everything else. I'm not sure which model. The Intel's are great by all accounts.

I agree with Venom, the 800D seems like a bit of a monster for your mid-range build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

MartyMcG wrote: »
    Add an SSD to the build. I'm going create a new build soon with an SSD for the OS and games, so I'll need ~50Gb. Then add on the samsung for storing everything else. I'm not sure which model. The Intel's are great by all accounts.

I agree with Venom, the 800D seems like a bit of a monster for your mid-range build.
    dunno about that, for the same price you can get 2x1.5TB drives, and run them in raid striped and get the same performance( wouldnt put any sensitive data on those 2 drives but for games and OS only its a better price/performance solution, SSD drives are far too overpriced )

I considered an SSD for my media center, now thats where i would definately see a benefit.

Advertisement