Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Burgled in daylight in Renmore

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

JustMary wrote: »
    What happened when you called the guards, and reported it?

Is this some sly way of asking did they call the guards? Why dont you just come out and ask them if they did or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ok maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the van. Boys in blue could not have cared less even though when I rang them they were still in the estate so could have easily come up and asked them their business. And for the record...these people did not look Irish, not intending on a bashing but I'd say mobile communities from other countries might also be using vans. Surely vans are easier to transport goods with full stop?

Mentioning the van was essential. Now that you have mentioned it we an all be more alert to any similar activity in our areas. Your information might prevent a crime being committed.

If we have got to a place where we cannot give an accurate account of an event lest we offend some minority with a tenuous relationship to them that some might infer from the information then things have gone WAY too far.

It doesn't matter if you're a traveller, the queen or the pope ...chances are you are not stealing a 42inch TV and every other electronic in a house without a van to drive it away in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Agreed, absolutely.. nothing to do with mentioning all the details..thanks for the info.
    Info is one thing. 'tenuous link' as chilly put it, is another.

Of course minorities commit crimes, just like anyone else :p - just jumping immediately to point the finger at one or another is daft (and apparently incorrect in this instance anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

chilly wrote: »

It doesn't matter if you're a traveller, the queen or the pope

I always thought that if a traveller and the queen were sitting in a room together and the pope walked in, there'd be a hell of a fight for the last piece of pudding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Any chance you could post the colour of the van too? And maybe the make and model or something?? REgardless of who these people are it would be handy to know the colour of it; just to know what to look out for. It's really disappointing to hear that the guards weren't interested:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TrevorNelson

It's really disappointing to hear that the guards weren't interested:(

They don't seem to be much interested. When they came in to us after the breaking (2 hrs after we rang them) to take the statement they didn't really listen and they asked us not to make it 'too complicated'. They only went to the neighbours beside us and left. You'd think that now as there's more and more burglaries they would try to do their best to stop it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

It's awful really. The consequence of the recession and some being desperate for cash. I heard that a lot are heading to Galway on the new motorway now for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Silver Transit van. I just hate not feeling safe, now more than ever with a little one. We have a huge dog though, I really think he'd deter more than anything else. Surely stricter sentences would work a treat with such crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I live in a rural area, compared to Galway city anyway and there was a spate of this type of burglaries at the tail end of last year.

Walking into houses with unlock doors/windows in broad daylight at times, but most were break-ins

Sort of related, but about a year ago a couple of fellas were noticed drivings around my local area, texts went around about it fairly quickly (who says community spirit is dead!). It may well have looked like no one was at home, but they must have rang the doorbell 'to be sure'.

I answered anyway and the gentleman in question asked me if I wanted rid of the old iron bath at the side of the house.

He would have had to walk a good 30 yards from the road down the side of the house to have seen it in the first place.

I told him that if he had any sense he'd move on before the guards had them in for questioning and had a nose around in the back of their van for anything interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

A few years ago a van was spotted doing the same thing in a village out west. (We found out that they were eastern European). They were using the same tactic, getting the kids to knock on doors. The van was spotted again the next day outside one of the local shops. A few phone calls later the van was meet by the local welcoming committee, told to clear off. The van was never seen in the area again

Lets all look out for your neighbors. I’m sure you’d want your neighbor to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

We had someone come to our door, in Renmore, at 5am this morning to drop one of those 'Clothing Collection' stickers through the letterbox.... at 5am

This was highly annoying, it woke me up as I had to check who was at my door at 5am, whoever did this is lucky that I didn't get my head together quick enough to try to catch them!!

This is also highly suspicious.... we have someone trawling the neighbourhood at 5am, supposedly 'posting sticker in letterboxes'..... it strikes me as a awful convenient way to check for unlocked doors at 5am!

Big Orange 'Clothing Collection' Sticker no identifiable info on the sticker bar a
    VAT Reg No. IE 2473424P and website www.viltis.eu (not working)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thieves used to target charity bags by collecting them early in the morning before the charity collects. I remember that one charity was amazed that no one had left out clothes in an area only to find that the thieves had got their first. They also target clothes banks by posting a kid through the slot.

I wonder if this is a case of them bypassing everything else & actually putting out charity bags of their own. I would notify the Guards & your neighbours. if you knew that it was definitely a scam it might be fun to fill the bag with general crap & give them a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Does anyone know if there is a 'local Garda' or 'community Garda' that deals with Renmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Does anyone know if there is a 'local Garda' or 'community Garda' that deals with Renmore?

I remember we had one, cant remember the first name but surname is Barrett. That said, I haven't heard him talked of/seen him around in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Hey all,

I'm also a Renmore resident and got one of those orange charity collection stickers in my post box this morning......

Did a little research on them and Viltis has got mentioned on Boards before here and here on the Waterford and Dublin West forums.

I was actually going to leave out some old clothes tomorrow (our collection day) but not now methinks......

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

From D'Unbelievables-
    'Can you tell me what was wrong with that?-The feckin window was wide open,you might as well invite them in and make tae!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Krieg wrote: »
    I remember we had one, cant remember the first name but surname is Barrett. That said, I haven't heard him talked of/seen him around in years.

Francis, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

i've had plenty of these orange stickers in the letterbox since i moved into gleann rua in september. we've also recently had random knocks at the door in the middle of the day which we didnt answer. furthermore an old car which was sitting in the driveway was stolen while i was at home over christamas and used in some sort of criminal activity in oranmore on christmas day.

Advertisement