Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maltipug

Options
  • 25-03-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Oh dear god, just browsing through a popular buy and sell type website, saw an ad for a 'Maltipug' ...cross between a maltese and a pug ...dear god ...they were asking for 400 euros for these pups :eek:

Do you mind me asking, are there actually people out there that would buy from someone like this
    Surely if you were paying this amount of money you would go for a purebreed (somehting that I wouldnt necassarily condone either but anyways)

Also do people realise that there are crossbreeds like this in the pounds waiting to be rehomed.
    I know I had a thread on Hybrid breeds before but i think people are actully just breeding dogs in order to get cute names for the pups :confused:

Makes me angry :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Unfortunately yes, there's loads of people out these who will buy them. There's even some who are convinced they are a real breed of dog.

Makes me sad, some people are so stupid when it comes to dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

If people are stupid enough to pay stupid money for these x breed dogs, let them. must have more money than since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Someone asked me the other day what breed my eldest dog was. When I said she was a labrador collie cross they said "oh, you mean a collidor"! Some people just can't seem to accept that crossing one breed with another does not create a new breed

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

I thought the original idea of these hybrid breeds was to to eliminate the health problems and the outcome of some of the crosses was that the dog was non shed ...but it really has simply turned into people looking at dogs names and seeing if the combine to make flashy sounding name :(

These 'breeders' are alos making that extra bit of profit as they dont have to pay the IKC registration fee as what they are breeding is essentially a crossbreed ... I really hope people will start to see the light on these type of breeders :(

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

all people are buying are crossbreds,with genetic defects from both breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

you less likely to get genetic defects in cross breeds than inbreeds (i mean pedigrees :D)

oldest dog is the world was a cross breed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/8459230.stm
    A dog from Shropshire who was crowned the world's oldest canine has been put to sleep after suffering from stomach cancer.

Otto, a Dachshund terrier cross from Reabrook, Shrewsbury, was 20 years and 11 months old.

or is this the oldest dog? another cross

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1053471/The-worlds-oldest-dog-dies-age-203-canine-years.html
    The world's oldest dog has died at the age of 203 (in canine years).
    Bella was bought by David Richardson from the RSPCA 26 years ago when she was three years old.
    Since then, the Labrador cross enjoyed a comfy life at the Derbyshire home of 76-year-old Mr Richardson and his partner Daisy Cooper, 81.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1053471/The-worlds-oldest-dog-dies-age-203-canine-years.html#ixzz0jHlcCo7V

ahh seems these where the oldest at that point in time - so another cross

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1178235/Chanel-worlds-oldest-dog-enjoys-21st-birthday-party-thats-147-canine-years.html
    New Yorker Chanel is 147 in dog years. She struggles to see, hear and walk, but the off-white Daschund-cross, is still able to enjoy the finer things in life.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1178235/Chanel-worlds-oldest-dog-enjoys-21st-birthday-party-thats-147-canine-years.html#ixzz0jHm7gijl

FYI used to tell people Tyson was a Boxadorisation ;o) Labrador/Boxer/Alsation

I am not arguing the point that cross breeds are generally healthier and less prone to the hereditary diseases that pedigrees are at risk to ...I am a firm believer in the mongrel/Heinz 57 ...have a terrier mix and a lurcher myself and couldnt get healthier!!!!!

What my point is though is that people are now breeding dogs to have a 'cool' sounding name and charging ridiculous money for them then ..... If someone is happy to have a crossbreed then why not then go to the animal shelter and give loving home to one ....I will prob get slated for pushing rehoming and condemming buying dogs but it is what I believe in!

I have no doubt that my mongrels will outlive my friends cavaliers and yorkies ........

people will always pay for names, whether it be clothes or dogs, and at some point all "pure breed" where mongrels and all designer names where at some point unknown students - tis the way of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I am not arguing the point that cross breeds are generally healthier and less prone to the hereditary diseases that pedigrees are at risk to ...I am a firm believer in the mongrel/Heinz 57 ...have a terrier mix and a lurcher myself and couldnt get healthier!!!!!

What my point is though is that people are now breeding dogs to have a 'cool' sounding name and charging ridiculous money for them then ..... If someone is happy to have a crossbreed then why not then go to the animal shelter and give loving home to one ....I will prob get slated for pushing rehoming and condemming buying dogs but it is what I believe in!

I have no doubt that my mongrels will outlive my friends cavaliers and yorkies ........

I think part of the problem stems from the fact that no-one calls a mongrel a mongrel any more. When I was growing up all three of mine would have been called mongrels instead of a lab/collie cross and 2 JRT crosses (crossed with what is anybodies guess). Somewhere in the last few years people seem to want to give a "pedigree" (not the right word but can't think of another one) to every dog. Well, from now on I'm simply going to refer to my girls as mongrels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Morganna wrote: »
    all people are buying are crossbreds,with genetic defects from both breeds.
    Id just like to halt you on that when we got are boxer rothweiler cross the vet said that cross breads weren't always a bad thing. When two breeds are crossed it at times wipes out the health issues that each breed could be open to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

elius wrote: »
    Id just like to halt you on that when we got are boxer rothweiler cross the vet said that cross breads weren't always a bad thing. When two breeds are crossed it at times wipes out the health issues that each breed could be open to.

or doubles them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ghost_ie wrote: »
    I think part of the problem stems from the fact that no-one calls a mongrel a mongrel any more. When I was growing up all three of mine would have been called mongrels instead of a lab/collie cross and 2 JRT crosses (crossed with what is anybodies guess). Somewhere in the last few years people seem to want to give a "pedigree" (not the right word but can't think of another one) to every dog. Well, from now on I'm simply going to refer to my girls as mongrels.

I know what you mean about the made up names. I call my boy a staffador as a joke, started on a thread here, we were basicially saying how ridiculous those names are and making others up. Could the person who called yours a collidor have been trying to be ironic?

If someone asks what he is I will usually say we don't know or, depending on the person say we think he's a lab/staff cross. If the person knows nothing about dogs, it really doesn't matter what cross he is, but if you are trying to describe him to someone, saying the crosses gives an indication of size etc.

It's safe to say that I have a soft spot for mongrels and the only way I would ever own a PB would be if it came to me as a rescue. So I really hope that, in my saying what cross my dog is, people don't get the wrong impression and think I'm trying to make him appear "better" (for want of a more fitting word).

If someone asks what he is I will usually say we don't know or, depending on the person say we think he's a lab/staff cross. If the person knows nothing about dogs, it really doesn't matter what cross he is, but if you are trying to describe him to someone, saying the crosses gives an indication of size etc.

this hits the nail on the head for me, with Tyson people stopped me in the street and pulled over in there cars to ask what "breed" he was, i used to say "he's a mongrel or heinz mix, we think he's a Boxer Labrador cross with a German Shepherds tail" then i used to just reply with "Boxadorisation" to see the look on people's faces :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I wouldn't mind having one if it was a mix of two really nice breeds, a Cavachon or something . . . haha . . . but I would never pay 400 euro for them!

Personally I like purebreds because you have a fairly good idea of what you're getting, size wise and personality. That's important to me because I have cats and rabbits and guinea pigs, and I don't want anything that has a chance of being vicious, of being too big, or of being say part terrier, because terriers would naturally be more likely to want to kill small animals. And I had a medium size Springer Spaniel (which is a lovely breed) dog who accidentally hurt a kitten and she had to be put down (she had brain damage, was only 5 weeks) :( so it's all small dogs for me now. I have Cavaliers because they're pretty much guaranteed to be lovely.

Though I think it's brilliant to get mongrels, especially from rescue, I just want Cavaliers for now. Even if they don't live as long (mine are from good breeders and are 6, 8 and 9 and all perfectly healthy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The newest cross breed I've seen for sale (€200) is a Cherier, or a Chihuahua x West Highland Terrier :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

lrushe wrote: »
    The newest cross breed I've seen for sale (200) is a Cherier, or a Chihuahua x West Highland Terrier :rolleyes:
    Could be worse, they couldve called it a Chestie or a Wehuahua :rolleyes
    What annoys me even more about these ads is when they even spell the breed of one of the parents wrong. If you have a particular breed of dog, at least learn how to spell it before making up a new name! (i.e rothweiler, alasation, bichon frize, cooker spaniel to name but a few I've seen)

Just after seeing an ad for a maltese pup crossed with a terrier. THe seller says that ' as you can see from the picture he is a maltese cross but looks very uch like a pure maltese' :rolleyes:

They are asking 390 euros. :rolleyes:

Again if this pup was a pedigree that ypu could register with the IKC, fair enough, that would prob justify asking this money .... but otherwise it is a pure chancer as far as I am concerned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Babystrawberry, I've seen Maltease pups go for around the 1k - 1200 mark.

Tis crazy though, when you see mixed dogs like that and they put a spin on it so it sounds posh or something. Nothing wrong with getting a cross of two dogs you like, but if it's a 'fashion' dog then that's just silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

I just don't see the problem with creating 'Mixed breed' dogs - The snobbery I've read here is unbelievable!

There is a big difference between a hybrid dog and a mixed breed (or mongrel dog). These hybrid dogs are bred carefully, using 2 different 100% purebred dogs, such as the Shih Poo hybrid dog, which is the end result of breeding a purebred Shih Tzu and a purebred Poodle. These hybrid Shih Tzu breeds are created through careful a breeding selection and process.

Long ago, dog breeds where created just this way. For example: The Boxer dog breed came into existence when a Bullenbeisser dog was bred with an English Bulldog. This created the hybrid dog that later became to be recognized as the Boxer. This is the same process with any now 'Pure Breeds' - They were all some mixture of different dogs at one time or another!!

I can understand peoples concerns that any jack-the-lad so called breeder cashing in on this present fad, but this can be the same with any person breeding dogs, it's up to the person purchasing the dog to ensure that they are buying from a reputable breeder whether 'Pure Bred' or 'Mixed Breed'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Steve.N I see what you're saying, and I do agree that a cross between two pure bred dogs is different to your pure bred getting pregnant by a random dog. I just meant that sometimes people put up for sale a mixed dog, where one or both sides aren't pedigree & they pawn it off as an exclusive type dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

one i saw the other day...jackahuahua. jack russell/chihuahua. my friend had a dog before. it was a jack****. jack russell/****zu. i dont no is it by accident or what but its stupid either way they look at it! they'l be offering papers next for them. then again the labradoodle is making an unbelievable name for itself for guide dogs and as anti-allergy. mongrels have the best health too. rarely sick. my 2 always find some sickness but my dads mongrel is 12 and he's been to the vet 3 times. once for when he got hit by a truck and twice to get his anal glands squeezed!!

oops i left the "h" out of shihtzu!
    morganafay wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind having one if it was a mix of two really nice breeds, a Cavachon or something . . . haha . . . but I would never pay 400 euro for them!

Personally I like purebreds because you have a fairly good idea of what you're getting, size wise and personality. That's important to me because I have cats and rabbits and guinea pigs, and I don't want anything that has a chance of being vicious, of being too big, or of being say part terrier, because terriers would naturally be more likely to want to kill small animals. And I had a medium size Springer Spaniel (which is a lovely breed) dog who accidentally hurt a kitten and she had to be put down (she had brain damage, was only 5 weeks) :( so it's all small dogs for me now. I have Cavaliers because they're pretty much guaranteed to be lovely.

Though I think it's brilliant to get mongrels, especially from rescue, I just want Cavaliers for now. Even if they don't live as long (mine are from good breeders and are 6, 8 and 9 and all perfectly healthy).

girlfriend had two rabbits when i got my staffy. she used play follow the leader with them all over the house. we got rid of them anyway coz they stunk! my buddy has one and they were amazed when i brought her up and her and the rabbit touched noses and walked away. herself and my pitbull walk straight past rabbits down the end of my garden as if they were dogs!! not all terriers kill small animals. some more than others bt alot of them have to be shown to accept them and they'l be best friends

Steve.N wrote: »
    I just don't see the problem with creating 'Mixed breed' dogs - The snobbery I've read here is unbelievable!

I am sorry but I would not class myself as being snobby towards mixed breeds/mongrels/hybrids ..I prefer the cross breed/mongrel any day over a pure bred.

I understand that there are good reputable breeders out there developing breeds to possibly try eradicate the illnesses/diseases the pedigrees are prone to

However what I am trying to point out is the careless breeding of dogs for the sake of having pups that they can put'cool' sounding names to. For example, a Chihuahua cossed with Jack Russell to make a Jack - a- Chi??

Jack Russells (excl Parson JRT) are not registered and are not recognised by IKC??!!

I reaise that the breeds we have today are due to selective breeding of dogs in the past ...however I just feel that this activity of 'hybrid dos' is being exploited now to an extent by some people :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree that people are out there cashing in on the whole 'doodle' scene. I came across one so called breeder in the UK selling Labradoodles for £3000 each?? - complete puppy farm as they have one litter ready after another - But people are buying them as they all sell very quickly - So someone is willing to pay this mad money.

Speaking for myself - I have a dog allergy (only discovered this after buying a boxer pup years ago - I suffered the wheezing and coughing for one year before I had to let him go to a new home), I loved owning a dog and would have loved another. My friend owned a ShihTzu and we 'test-drove' him for a weekend to see if I had a reaction - I was ok. After reading lots of information on the whole debate I decided that a cross breed ShihTzu with a poodle would be my best option (for 2 reasons - to be as allergy friendly as possible and to alleviate the breathing problems that my friends IKC reg ShihTzu has - the poodle has the longer snout). So I got an acquaintance of mine who breeds Party Poodles (British Kennel Club Approved) with a champion bloodline and bred her dog with a well researched ShihTzu bitch who is IKC reg. The result was a beautiful litter of ShihTzu/Poodle mix dogs (Or Shihpoo for you designer dog followers).

But I agree that not everyone out there takes as much care as we did in picking the parents and carefully choosing the characteristics that we wanted to run through to the pups.

them labradoodles are supposed to be anti-allergy and extremely intelegent and very very calm. as far as i know you can get them in toy medium and large like the poodles...not 100pc on the size thing though...just going by what i was told

them labradoodles are supposed to be anti-allergy and extremely intelligent and very very calm. as far as i know you can get them in toy medium and large like the poodles...not 100pc on the size thing though...just going by what i was told

Have been doing loads of research into the labradoodle phenomena. They seem to have started breeding them back over 20yrs ago as guide dogs in Austria - they are a mix of four or five dogs (English Cocker Spaniel, American Cocker Spaniel, Irish Water dog & Curly coated retriever). Bred as guide dogs, it seem they have taken off for their intelligence and of course their allergy friendly coats. The ones with the Australian bloodline are the ones selling for big bucks - but the coats don't cast and are odor free.
    We met a woman on the beach one day recently in Laytown with one, her daughter had every allergy know to man and couldn't have a conventional breed dog - she was fine around her labradoodle - the coat is like a big fluffy blanket - and even although it was wet from jumping in and out of the sea there was no normal doggy smell.

I think there's a marked difference between this 'properly' bred dog than someone throwing together their own version and calling it a labradoodle.

girlfriend had two rabbits when i got my staffy. she used play follow the leader with them all over the house. we got rid of them anyway coz they stunk! my buddy has one and they were amazed when i brought her up and her and the rabbit touched noses and walked away. herself and my pitbull walk straight past rabbits down the end of my garden as if they were dogs!! not all terriers kill small animals. some more than others bt alot of them have to be shown to accept them and they'l be best friends

I'm sure they could be good with small animals, just don't wanna take the chance. Same with hounds really, just because it is their instinct (I'm not saying their aggressive or anything). My dogs have pretty much no killer instinct. One time my cat had a mouse and was letting her kittens play with it, and my dog picked up the mouse in her mouth, really gently, carried it over to me, put it on the ground and just looked at it and looked at me. The poor mouse was terrified but I released it at the back of my garden. My dogs have never killed anything, except maybe a spider? but obviously I still wouldn't trust them with the rabbits/guinea pigs! I've left them alone with newborn kittens though, no problem.

Also my dogs hate all terriers (including staffies, but they also hate boxers or anything with that kind of face, or any dogs with pointy ears!) :D They came across a few mean ones, so now they're racist dogs!

I think there's a marked difference between this 'properly' bred dog than someone throwing together their own version and calling it a labradoodle.

Exactly!

And people should take into consideration that Labradoodles are really big, high energy dogs, that needs loads of grooming everyday, and to be trimmed often, or clipped off a few times a year.

• Advertisement

Have been doing loads of research into the labradoodle phenomena. They seem to have started breeding them back over 20yrs ago as guide dogs in Austria - they are a mix of four or five dogs (English Cocker Spaniel, American Cocker Spaniel, Irish Water dog & Curly coated retriever). Bred as guide dogs, it seem they have taken off for their intelligence and of course their allergy friendly coats. The ones with the Australian bloodline are the ones selling for big bucks - but the coats don't cast and are odor free.
    We met a woman on the beach one day recently in Laytown with one, her daughter had every allergy know to man and couldn't have a conventional breed dog - she was fine around her labradoodle - the coat is like a big fluffy blanket - and even although it was wet from jumping in and out of the sea there was no normal doggy smell.

Exactly my point, there are ppl developing hybrids and putting thought into the process

But there are people in it also for simply the big bucks they can make out of peoples ignorance;)

Advertisement