Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RADIO FENCES FOR DOGS please help

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

WRONG

Sorry my mistake, you could feed it to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake, you could feed it to him?
    it is more than enough to cause a violent contraction of the myofibrils leading to tearing and joint damage , that’s before you get into the pain that can be inflicted :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

it is more than enough to cause a violent contraction of the myofibrils leading to tearing and joint damage , that’s before you get into the pain that can be inflicted :rolleyes:

So..... similar to a ground spike and teather?

9 volts still isn't enough to do what you're saying. The highest powered pet containment collars use .00053 joules, the pads people use to stimulate stomach muscles use 2 joules. There isn't that much of a difference between big dogs and people. The dog collar is far more unpleasant because the pulses are closer together but it's not going to damage joints. In normal operation the pain is the whole point, without pain there is no deterrent. In the unlikely event that the collar malfunctioned the dog would be in severe discomfort, but these devices are made to fail safe, and they wont shock for any longer than 30 seconds.

I'm starting feel like I'm selling these things, if you don't trust them don't buy them. But in normal operation they are harmless, painless and personally I've found them to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

9 volts still isn't enough to do what you're saying. The highest powered pet containment collars use .00053 joules, the pads people use to stimulate stomach muscles use 2 joules. There isn't that much of a difference between big dogs and people. The dog collar is far more unpleasant because the pulses are closer together but it's not going to damage joints. In normal operation the pain is the whole point, without pain there is no deterrent. In the unlikely event that the collar malfunctioned the dog would be in severe discomfort, but these devices are made to fail safe, and they wont shock for any longer than 30 seconds.

I'm starting feel like I'm selling these things, if you don't trust them don't buy them. But in normal operation they are harmless, painless and personally I've found them to be excellent.
    i have tried every thing possible now within my power
    and i feel this is the only option i have to keep my dogs off the road where there is plenty traffic, also now that you say you find them excellent in keeping them in a designated area, this is what i need, after all they will have half an acre to roam which mean they will have great fun, and after getting to know the way this work, in giving them a warning within five feet, they will be well able to avoid getting shocked, too many dogs have been killed on the road i live on. farmers can shoot dogs they find on their lands also, and i do not want my dogs worrying sheep or other farm animals
    do you know anywhere i could obtain one second hand, .

• Advertisement

http://cgi.ebay.ie/UK-SPEC-PETSAFE-RADIO-DOG-FENCE-ELECTRIC-INVISIBLE_W0QQitemZ160416687449QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item2559946559#ht_4123wt_993

They're actually quite reasonable new now. They were 400 euro when I got mine, here's 1 for 115 plus postage. If you have more that one dog you'll need an extra collar and maybe some more wire depending on the size of your land. I'd stick with petsafe, you could prob find cheaper ones but petsafe have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

goat2 wrote: »
    i have tried every thing possible now within my powerand i feel this is the only option i have to keep my dogs off the road where there is plenty traffic, also now that you say you find them excellent in keeping them in a designated area, this is what i need, after all they will have half an acre to roam which mean they will have great fun, and after getting to know the way this work, in giving them a warning within five feet, they will be well able to avoid getting shocked, too many dogs have been killed on the road i live on. farmers can shoot dogs they find on their lands also, and i do not want my dogs worrying sheep or other farm animals
    do you know anywhere i could obtain one second hand, .

Sorry, but you havent. Fencing or a dog run would be a lot more safer than a radio fence.

Dogs can and still will escape from a garden even with a shock collar on. Ive seen it and heard about dogs doing so if they see something they really want to get at. They will bear the pain to get at something if they really want to and then once they get out they are reluctant to come back as they know they will get shocked, so this leaves your dog roaming loose, at risk of being stolen, run over or attacked.

These fences are not 100% reliable, safe or secure so i wouldnt not be using one esp if you are near a road where the dog could be run over.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/UK-SPEC-PETSAFE-RADIO-DOG-FENCE-ELECTRIC-INVISIBLE_W0QQitemZ160416687449QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item2559946559#ht_4123wt_993

They're actually quite reasonable new now. They were 400 euro when I got mine, here's 1 for 115 plus postage. If you have more that one dog you'll need an extra collar and maybe some more wire depending on the size of your land. I'd stick with petsafe, you could prob find cheaper ones but petsafe have a good reputation.
    thank you so much for your help, will be purchasing this week

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry, but you havent. Fencing or a dog run would be a lot more safer than a radio fence.

Dogs can and still will escape from a garden even with a shock collar on. Ive seen it and heard about dogs doing so if they see something they really want to get at. They will bear the pain to get at something if they really want to and then once they get out they are reluctant to come back as they know they will get shocked, so this leaves your dog roaming loose, at risk of being stolen, run over or attacked.

These fences are not 100% reliable, safe or secure so i wouldnt not be using one esp if you are near a road where the dog could be run over.

you are trying to make out i am cruel to animals
    i have rescued two hedgehogs that i found out in november, and fed them cat food in my shed in the rabbit hutch for the winter, returned them to the wild in may, very happy, they reside under my shed now with a family of hedgehogs, i took in a rabbit who lived for 11 years in my house very happily, i also took in a cat that was thrown in a bonfire on november weekind 5 yrs ago, had her hair burnt off her, she live with us very happily still, i love animals, have also rescued birds, and another cat that was beaten to a pulp by some nasty person,
    i have a run, it is too small, but handy when i go to town or for them th have their last toilet run at night before going to bed, another thing is i have always put a microwaveable hot water bottle in their bed every night and still do, they love it, they sleep in a big huge basket with big cushion and a fur not real fur blanket in my kitchen, and will always sleep there,
    so now i do not want to hear this kind of crap, as i find it very hurtful, i am not cruel to my animals

Well in my opinion putting a collar around a dogs neck that gives it a shock is cruel and un necessary.

There are plenty of other humane ways to contain your dog but you havent even tried these methods, looks like the easy way out if you ask me and of course its the dog that suffers because of this.:mad:

• Advertisement

Well in my opinion putting a collar around a dogs neck that gives it a shock is cruel and un necessary.

There are plenty of other humane ways to contain your dog but you havent even tried these methods, looks like the easy way out if you ask me and of course its the dog that suffers because of this.:mad:

In the lifetime of our dogs they will only spend a couple of seconds if that, actually getting shocked. Your dog will spend a huge portion of it's life locked up in a run. That's no life for any animal.

You say that a dog run is much safer for your dog, that's absolutely true. But you have to strike a balance, between safety and quality of life. If you think that your dog has an equal quality of life to dogs who are free run around a garden all day, you're living in a dream world.

My property is fenced, and gated. But dogs can go under fences and out through open gates, so they aren't the fortresses you seem to think they are.

If you had the option fo receiving a couple of static electricity shocks lasting a fraction of second and freedom, or no shocks and years locked in a cage what would you choose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I run a rescue for Siberian Huskies and Alaskam Malamutes. I had a phone call a couple of months ago from a woman looking for a dog. THey had two siberian huskies, one only 8 months old. They had a radio fence. It had worked brilliantly for the last couple of years. Then for some reason one day it didn't work anymore. Both dogs took off, into a field, shot by a farmer. First time ever they'd got out. The family were absolutely distraught, nobody said the dogs were worrying the livestock, but they were in the field, and the farmer shot them.

That family will never have a radio fence again.

i have tried alot, then again it will be only 2 hours 2 times a day this collar will be on, otherwise they will be carried for their usual walk
    be in the kitchen, or their run.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Please think twice about using these collars, look at the link below and it might make you change your mind.

I would never,ever put up one of these fences or put any type of shock collar on my dog.:mad:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=141862&id=59639020615&ref=mf

Buy a dog run, they are much safer and secure and will not harm the dog in any way.

I use a radio fence for my dog and he is FINE...Not all of them are bad...Bad burns like the ones in the link you sent, are from the collar being set too high..The point of the collar is to train the dog to stay within its boundaries. A different level shock for different dogs. The point is to lower the setting so it is either on beep only or beep + the lowest setting...Beeping first, then the shock if doggy goes further...My dog doesnt go far enough to beep.. WHY? cause i have trained him with the collar properly....
    OP, if you want to get a radio fence, then do so, when used properly, and instructions on the fence are followed, then you will have NO trouble what so ever. Like i said, I used one for my own dog so if you have any questions, send me a private message on here and I will help you out if I can..

I use a radio fence for my dog and he is FINE...Not all of them are bad...Bad burns like the ones in the link you sent, are from the collar being set too high..The point of the collar is to train the dog to stay within its boundaries. A different level shock for different dogs. The point is to lower the setting so it is either on beep only or beep + the lowest setting...Beeping first, then the shock if doggy goes further...My dog doesnt go far enough to beep.. WHY? cause i have trained him with the collar properly....
    OP, if you want to get a radio fence, then do so, when used properly, and instructions on the fence are followed, then you will have NO trouble what so ever. Like i said, I used one for my own dog so if you have any questions, send me a private message on here and I will help you out if I can..
    thank you so much for your help in this, i guess i will have a very easy time training, they are six months old, i have them house trained just, i have them on a good walk every day, i have thought commands like, no, stay, and drop it, bedtime, in, out, and it is making life so easy, which means some of these commands will come in handy such as stay, and no when the first bleep goes off, they will learn very fast, since they understand these commands

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

ISDW wrote: »
    I run a rescue for Siberian Huskies and Alaskam Malamutes. I had a phone call a couple of months ago from a woman looking for a dog. THey had two siberian huskies, one only 8 months old. They had a radio fence. It had worked brilliantly for the last couple of years. Then for some reason one day it didn't work anymore. Both dogs took off, into a field, shot by a farmer. First time ever they'd got out. The family were absolutely distraught, nobody said the dogs were worrying the livestock, but they were in the field, and the farmer shot them.

That family will never have a radio fence again.
    I don't use one.

I know a woman who has her land fenced off. The dogs never escaped, then one day one of her dogs got through a hole in the fence and was hit by a car. They called the vet who took over 45 minutes to get to them (as they live in the country). The vet put the dog down there and then due to the injuries. The dog suffered terribly for the last (almost an hour) of its life.

She now puts a shock collar on her dogs and they wont cross the fence now. So one or two shocks in training means that the dogs wont suffer the same fate as this previous dog.

She will never be without a radio fence again.

kildara wrote: »
    I don't use one.

I know a woman who has her land fenced off. The dogs never escaped, then one day one of her dogs got through a hole in the fence and was hit by a car. They called the vet who took over 45 minutes to get to them (as they live in the country). The vet put the dog down there and then due to the injuries. The dog suffered terribly for the last (almost an hour) of its life.

She now puts a shock collar on her dogs and they wont cross the fence now. So one or two shocks in training means that the dogs wont suffer the same fate as this previous dog.

She will never be without a radio fence again.
    every one who use the radio fence, have given positive feedback
    which means i will definately be getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 54,322 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

folks can anyone give me some advice

my parents jack Russell keeps going out on the road etc

can anyone recommend one of these fences thing for me

also are all wireless fences boundaries like this
    instantfencediagram.gif

ie circular, I want one that goes straight across ya know

Headshot wrote: »
    folks can anyone give me some advice

my parents jack Russell keeps going out on the road etc

can anyone recommend one of these fences thing for me

also are all wireless fences boundaries like this
    instantfencediagram.gif

ie circular, I want one that goes straight across ya know
    i have gone to the veternary supplies, and for the whole lot it is 275 euro, then there was an ad by someone in limerick selling the thing for 100 euro, i am waiting for them to get back to me, as i sent an email last night, if i do find out these are reliable and honest, i will let you know, that is when they contact me first

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I wouldn't use a radio collar.

If I was training my dog, and he didn't do something properly on command, I wouldn't belt him with a stick. I would simply start over until he got the idea.

So if I didn't want him to leave an area of my garden, I wouldn't threaten him and belt him with a stick the first time he walked over the boundary, then threaten him and belt him with a stick the second time he did it - and then think it was progress on the third attempt when just threatening him with the stick worked and I didn't have to belt him.

That's the premise that electric shock collars work on - I don't get how people think it's fine just because some random third party object is belting the dog instead of you yourself - so because you're not hurting him with your own hand, somehow it's okay that he gets hurt? How does that work?

If you saw a neighbour trying to teach a dog not to cross a boundary that was unfenced, and belting the dog every time he crossed it, would you report them to the ISPCA? Most of us would be horrified if we saw someone attempting to train a dog to do anything, and belting him when he got it wrong. It's generally accepted to be the wrong way to train the dog.

Don't kid yourself - electric shock collars are the very same thing, you just get off guilt free because you're not the one holding the stick.

A large amount of space isn't a substitute for a walk twice a day. I know dogs on 70 acres who spend their entire lives up at the house. Dogs are social creatures. They want to be with you and near you, or with and near each other in a multi-dog household. Very few breeds will walk the perimeter of your fenced property daily on their own (anatolian shepherds notwithstanding). They hang about, waiting for you to come out and walk them. They can do that hanging about quite comfortably in a well-constructed dog run with adequate shelter, and the dog run physically cannot be breached if they see something interesting in the distance - somewhere a radio fence is proven to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ideas of "cruel" are very much anthropomorhic where dog runs are involved here.

If you have to be out most of the day?

But you say, OP, a couple of hours only. No dog will suffer in a run for that period, and that is the only way you can be sure it is safe in sheep country.

Especially at this time of year.

We are surrounded by sheep here; the fences are good, but we always keep a close eye on our dogs when they are outdoors. One is a collie.

We have a large field and while we are sure they would not stray, there is no way we would take a risk, whatever fence is there.

And no way would we use a shock fence.

yes, all who use them are positive here and wil be until something goes wrong of course!

As many are what you would call negative, but your mind is set so you are not listening.

If we have to be out, the dogs are in the house, and they are trained to that and perfectly happy.

Even for several hours occasionally.

As they are in when it is wet etc.

The idea that dogs "have" to be loose to be happy is not true.

Their real happiness is to be with their people; it is lazy to rely on a shock collar rather than the joy of being with you.

These are not wild animals . They are our companions and adapt to us.

Interesting that one of our friends, an SPCA volunteer, has a neighbour who had problems with her dogs getting on the road. Our friend is friendly with all the local dogs and they all know him.

The woman installed a shock fence and now the dogs are too scared to go near the gate even to him.

Sure, very effective! Fear ruling now. Wonderful!

Short term fixes are no replacement for long term caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I also don't think they are reliable in and of themselves. Fair enough if you have a dog who is clearing your six foot walls - then it becomes the lesser or two evils to help secure the dog's safety. I still don't like them though and I think it's too easy to mis-use them. I once rescued a dog who had been contained with a radio fence and he had a phobia of any kind of collar as a result.

I just heard of a case in Donegal in recent weeks where the battery failed, the dogs got out, farmer shot them - one is dead and the other is fighting for his life having lost a kidney. Same thing happened very recently with a Samoyed who broke through his radio fence in farming country and was found shot dead a few days later.

From a personal point of view, it makes me very sad to think that you're about to put shock collars on six month old puppies. :( And I'm genuinely shocked to learn that another poster leaves their Rottie outdoors and unsupervised while they are away from home - I would never risk that with my dogs, especially if they were on the restricted breeds list - it would put them at too much risk. :eek:

We were talking about this last night; one thing that does not seem to have occurred to anyone is that it simply is not safe in Ireland to leave a dog loose where thieves can get in.

Time after time we have threads here when a dog has been stolen while left unattended. A fence is no barrier; nor are locked gates.

Dogs left loose and alone are easy pickings especially at this time of year.

We would not ever leave ours out if we are not here.

And yes, doing this to puppies. Words fail.

i have gone to the veternary supplies, and for the whole lot it is 275 euro, then there was an ad by someone in limerick selling the thing for 100 euro, i am waiting for them to get back to me, as i sent an email last night, if i do find out these are reliable and honest, i will let you know, that is when they contact me first
    those in limerick i emailed a week ago, dont know in they are genuine as they did not give name address telephone no, nothing , be careful
    i have just ordered of e bay for a two collar fence for 110euro, which means that a one collar may cost 85 euro, i hope to get mine in the next week i get a 350 meter wire which i can use to square off the proplety and doggies will have fun, i will have peace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

i do bring dogs for regular walks
    what is the alternative
    long rope, tried that nearly choked to death on it as he jumped over something, and if i were not there he would have died a long slow death,
    i have outdoor pen
    need more than that
    my pen is about 40 feet by 8 feet, cost a bomb to erect, but that is alright now and then, or when i am away from house for an hour or two
    but the electric fence seems to be the only other option for 2 hours 2 times daily only, dont see any harm in that as they will not have collars on all the time

I don't see how you need a radio collar, 40 foot is large enough unless you have a half dozen dogs or more. Plenty of people have 2 or 3 or 4 dogs and a smaller back garden than that.
    Sounds like other than that they are looked after getting their walks and I presume play time with you etc.
    All the want is human company, you can give them free run of 5 acres and eventually they get bored and just want to be at home by their owner anyway.

Personally I wouldn't risk it myself, I have a large garden and had even bought one many moons ago but it never was taken out of the box.
    Yes it's expensive but we got a dog run and fenced off the place gradually in stages.

Agree with what Boomerang said and it is the lesser of two evils of course, but long term perhaps even if you do use it thinking about fencing off the rest of the garden or increasing the size of the pen would be an option.

40 feet seems just fine it wouldn't actually cost much to increas the width of it instead depending on what kind of fencing it is and if it can be removed and put back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Don't mean to be blunt or offensive, perhaps you'd be better off getting a book online of how to train your dogs rather than using shocks to do your job for you. Just my opinion but I do think shock collars are cruel and unnecessary in this day and age.

those in limerick i emailed a week ago, dont know in they are genuine as they did not give name address telephone no, nothing , be careful
    i have just ordered of e bay for a two collar fence for 110euro, which means that a one collar may cost 85 euro, i hope to get mine in the next week i get a 350 meter wire which i can use to square off the proplety and doggies will have fun, i will have peace

Until you come home one day and the puppies have been stolen..... Poor puppies. No way to treat any dog. Poor wee dogs.

That is no fun.

By getting shocked by the shock collar??? :confused::mad:

How in gods name will that be fun for a dog? Might be fun for you alright watching them get shocked but i can guarantee the dogs wont find it one bit funny :mad:

By getting shocked by the shock collar??? :confused::mad:

How in gods name will that be fun for a dog? Might be fun for you alright watching them get shocked but i can guarantee the dogs wont find it one bit funny :mad:
    i will not have fun watching that, but i intend training them to cop on at 8 feet from the wire, the collars will be rigged up to bleep at that stage then louder, my guess is after minuits not hours they will have got the hang of it, they will have a whole half acre to chase and have fun then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

the first i heard of these collars and system was when a friends dog figured that the beeping wore out the battery and then he was free to go with no shock.
    Another simply kept running.......prey drive too strong to stop for any shock. I know this would definatley be the case with my dogs....no pain or shock would deter them from launching at another dog or car or whatever.

finally 2 little puppies both with shock collars in the middle of a busy intersection. the electrician had turned off the power, forgot about the dogs and they took off.
    what happens if the power goes whan you are out.

my final reason is that there is no way I would leave them to be robbed

I cant comment on the "shock" from shock collars as I have not felt it and would be commenting emotionally as opposed towith knowledge.

Advertisement