Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RADIO FENCES FOR DOGS please help

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ppink wrote: »
    the first i heard of these collars and system was when a friends dog figured that the beeping wore out the battery and then he was free to go with no shock.
    Another simply kept running.......prey drive too strong to stop for any shock. I know this would definatley be the case with my dogs....no pain or shock would deter them from launching at another dog or car or whatever.

finally 2 little puppies both with shock collars in the middle of a busy intersection. the electrician had turned off the power, forgot about the dogs and they took off.
    what happens if the power goes whan you are out.

my final reason is that there is no way I would leave them to be robbed

I cant comment on the "shock" from shock collars as I have not felt it and would be commenting emotionally as opposed towith knowledge.

Trying to imagine anything except the strong sheep fencing here from stopping the collie from, as you so aptly express it, launching at every passing car....;)

She used to manage to get out in our previous house; we would find her dancing with the school bus.

Here she just cannot escape; we keep a close eye on her now. She enjoys "chasing" the cars from inside the fence.

But yes, prey drive is too strong. And her protection of us also is too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

These collars can actually cause severe harm (nasty wounds on neck if not managed properly) Also be aware that some dogs learn that they can receive the shock once and just keep going after crossing the boundary (especially if they are in chase mode!!). They may also get out if the battery dies without you realizing it needed recharging.
    Aside from the obvious injuries which may happen to your dog you are also finiancially liable for damages caused by your dogs, whether it be to your neighbor's sheep or if they cause a car accident.
    I recommend a proper fence instead and a fully secure run for the dogs while you are away. I know they may not get out to run as much this way, but it protects both you and your dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Wisco wrote: »
    These collars can actually cause severe harm (nasty wounds on neck if not managed properly).

Of course they can, any collar which isn't managed properly can cause neck damage

[/QUOTE] Also be aware that some dogs learn that they can receive the shock once and just keep going after crossing the boundary (especially if they are in chase mode!!). They may also get out if the battery dies without you realizing it needed recharging.
    Aside from the obvious injuries which may happen to your dog you are also finiancially liable for damages caused by your dogs, whether it be to your neighbor's sheep or if they cause a car accident.
    I recommend a proper fence instead and a fully secure run for the dogs while you are away. I know they may not get out to run as much this way, but it protects both you and your dogs.[/QUOTE]

I guess it comes down to how well the dog is trained in general. I have a very big rottweiler, but even when his collar is off he wont go near the wire, he's trained to not chase, so it doesn't matter what walks past the gate, he wont try to escape. Of course if I left the collar off for a few days he'd realise he could walk out, but if he did walk out he wouldn't go far and is familiar with the road so wouldn't get knocked down. And all my neighbours know him, so they would call me I'm sure. Some people on here are worried their dog will bite someone or attack sheep if the wire failed. If that's the case, you're perfectly right to keep your dog in a run, and I'd suggest you spend some time properly training your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

[/QUOTE]I guess it comes down to how well the dog is trained in general. I have a very big rottweiler, but even when his collar is off he wont go near the wire, he's trained to not chase, so it doesn't matter what walks past the gate, he wont try to escape. Of course if I left the collar off for a few days he'd realise he could walk out, but if he did walk out he wouldn't go far and is familiar with the road so wouldn't get knocked down. And all my neighbours know him, so they would call me I'm sure. Some people on here are worried their dog will bite someone or attack sheep if the wire failed. If that's the case, you're perfectly right to keep your dog in a run, and I'd suggest you spend some time properly training your dog.[/QUOTE]

LOL
    If you were my neighbour and I came across your Rottweiler out on the road you may never see him again.
    It is not just the chasing but the scaring people and possibly causing an accident.
    People who leave there dogs out on the road should think of going for training themselves to learn how to be decent neighbour and not inflict their interests/pets on others.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Of course they can, any collar which isn't managed properly can cause neck damage
    Also be aware that some dogs learn that they can receive the shock once and just keep going after crossing the boundary (especially if they are in chase mode!!). They may also get out if the battery dies without you realizing it needed recharging.
    I recommend a proper fence instead and a fully secure run for the dogs while you are away. I know they may not get out to run as much this way, but it protects both you and your dogs.[/QUOTE]

I guess it comes down to how well the dog is trained in general. I have a very big rottweiler, but even when his collar is off he wont go near the wire, he's trained to not chase, so it doesn't matter what walks past the gate, he wont try to escape. Of course if I left the collar off for a few days he'd realise he could walk out, but if he did walk out he wouldn't go far and is familiar with the road so wouldn't get knocked down. And all my neighbours know him, so they would call me I'm sure. Some people on here are worried their dog will bite someone or attack sheep if the wire failed. If that's the case, you're perfectly right to keep your dog in a run, and I'd suggest you spend some time properly training your dog.[/QUOTE]

The last sentence was entirely predictable of course.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, but dogs are animals and you cannot guarantee 100% that the dog will not chase or run off down the road if you aren not around to call him back.

If your dog spots something he really wants and gets out beyond the shock boundry there is absolutely nothing to stop him. Hes not just going to stand there because hes well trained, animals have instinct and if their owner is not there to control them then they will do what they want, they are animals.

You say he knows the road well, but sure thats no use to him if he runs out in front of a car if hes chasing something, dogs dont have common sense, they dont stop to look whats coming up the road so its very irresponsible to even run the risk of your dog getting out and causing an accident.

Farmers dont diffrentiate between a dog having fun chasing sheep and one thats actually trying to attack them so if a dog is having fun chasing sheep with no harm intended the farmer wont take a chance and will shoot either way and hes entitled to do so.

Also, as someone said, shock collars wil not prevent your dog from being stolen either.

Sorry, but any collar does not cause damage like the potential a shock collar can. A normal collar might rub a dog if too tight but its not going to inflict burns that could arise from the shocks emitted from the collar, as seen on links that i posted up earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i finally got fence yesterday
    2 dogs had learnt in 10 minuits, i carried them around border, they are outside in this fine day on half an acer, they think they won lottery, so do i, i have the boy pup at vets right now, seeing after his manhood, so he will not be wanting to roam, i feel so sorry for poor lad, collecting him shortly

the first i heard of these collars and system was when a friends dog figured that the beeping wore out the battery and then he was free to go with no shock.
    Another simply kept running.......prey drive too strong to stop for any shock. I know this would definatley be the case with my dogs....no pain or shock would deter them from launching at another dog or car or whatever.

finally 2 little puppies both with shock collars in the middle of a busy intersection. the electrician had turned off the power, forgot about the dogs and they took off.
    what happens if the power goes whan you are out.

my final reason is that there is no way I would leave them to be robbed

I cant comment on the "shock" from shock collars as I have not felt it and would be commenting emotionally as opposed towith knowledge.
    you hardly thought that i would just leave home with the dogs in garden with this fence to keep them in, of course not, i put them in the enclosure back of house without collars, and anyway 2 hours is most i would have the collars on them in a day, it is just to make their days more enjoyable

goat2 wrote: »
    you hardly thought that i would just leave home with the dogs in garden with this fence to keep them in, of course not, i put them in the enclosure back of house without collars, and anyway 2 hours is most i would have the collars on them in a day, it is just to make their days more enjoyable

I didn't know if you were or not, a lot of people do. You asked for peoples experiences and i was just telling you mine and then i was wondering what you thought about the power going down.

What is the "shock" like anyway? Is it a buzz or ? Can you adjust it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I didn't know if you were or not, a lot of people do. You asked for peoples experiences and i was just telling you mine and then i was wondering what you thought about the power going down.

I leave my dog there all day with the collar on. He's trained not to go chase anything that walks past our house, and even when the collar is off for a few hours he's afraid to test the wire. It would have to be down for days for him to leave.
    The shock is a static shock, totally harmless but extremely uncomfortable, I gave myself a shock once accidentally and it's not pleasant at all. Did you ever get a static shock from a car door, it's like that multiplied by 100. But it is just a static shock, totally harmless.
    There is two different types of collar, the standard collar which can't be adjusted but is only suitable for small dogs, then there's a stubborn collar, which had 5 different correction settings.
    I have mine set to the highest setting due to the size of the dog, and I think other people whose dogs just run through the shock must be either using the standard collar, or a very low setting on the stubborn collar.
    That said, these collars are not for every dog, even the manufacturers say that they should be not be used for dangerous, aggressive or easily excitable dogs. But if you have the right type of dog, and you train the dog properly and maintain the fence and collar, no harm will come to your dog.

• Advertisement

you can adjust it, i have it at minimum, and it workd, also it bleeps to tell them that they are nearing fence, it does that at about 5 feet from the fence, then also you put down small white flags, they have learnt from 20 feet away that they are nearing the fence when they see these, it is working great, these fine days i sit in garden while they play and i can see they know the way things run, they really are having a lovely time with all this freedom, i still take them for their walk for one hour every evening, they still go in their run for an hour here and there, i switch the lot off and take collars off when they are in run, going for walk, and in house, also at night, so i would say all in all with two rounds a day in the electronic area an hour each time they are pretty happy.

Did you ever get a static shock from a car door, it's like that multiplied by 100. But it is just a static shock, totally harmless.

Do static shocks from cars effect people differently I wonder. When I get one which is at least once a day (I am usually thinking of something else and forget the process of getting out of the car without shocking myself!) it is a big shock. I am no fairy but that shock really bothers me and makes me shout almost every time, so 100 times it would be electric fence to the max type?? It sounds very strong.
    i do get that it would not work on certain dogs definately. i know wiht my dogs one would sulk and probably be too scared to move and not connect the whole bleeping/flags business and the other would go crazy.

Goat2 I can see why you were looking at it in the first place. It is nice to be able to let them out around the houses without worrying about them.

i think the reason for the success
    i had them on a long lead in the garden and around for the past month, i mooved these leads about every half hour, they were very familiar with the surrounding area, then i put the wire around, i have the flags 2 feet from the wire,they could see that this was all new, they think the flags are the culprits, so they stay back i have this thing on at lowest, they know that after the flag come the bleep now, and they back off at four feet, i cannot beleive my luck, i did introduce them to it, i spent the first day weaving into the bleep and out there was no shock, then when i let them loose from lead they did breach and got the shock, it has not happened anymore, as i can hear the bleep in house with windows open
    so i do know that they are not going near, another thing i tried to bribe them beyond the flags, no way would they pass them, now they can see the boundry and know their boundry, i am so happy for them,

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jujuB

andreac wrote: »
    Please think twice about using these collars, look at the link below and it might make you change your mind.

I would never,ever put up one of these fences or put any type of shock collar on my dog.:mad:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=141862&id=59639020615&ref=mf

Buy a dog run, they are much safer and secure and will not harm the dog in any way.

I had 2 collars for the 2 of my dogs. One is a Rottweiler and the other is a Sheepdog/Lab cross, so both big dogs. I lived in the country and as I was surrounded by fields full of sheep/lambs I decided it was the best thing to do as they would sometimes rable up into the fields (and as you can imagine a real country farmer will not take well to a dopey Rottweiler having fun chasing his sheep!) Also I was afraid of one of them getting hit by cars as people used to bomb it up and down the road. The day I put them on they both took to it straight away (obviously the first time they tried to get out they were confused and didnt no what it was so the rottie tried again and ran back squealing, this was the last time she tried!) This link that you have posted is NOT due to the shock the collars give off, it IS in fact due to very bad pet owning, it is very obvious to me that the collar was far far too tight and it had embedded. If you look closely you can actually see the 2 holes on the neck where the 2 pins had embedded. These pins have to be longer for larger breeds as they have so much more skin around their neck they would not feel the shock. For example my Rottie had to get larger pins for her collar because we discovered they were not long enough to reach her to "shock her" because she has so much loose skin around her neck! As opposed to my Sheepdog/Lab cross, she has very little loose skin so we needed shorter pins. As i said, this picture is definitely not due to the collar's shocks, it is due to people being bad/nasty pet owners. Embedded collars are very common in neglected dogs.

jujuB wrote: »
    I had 2 collars for the 2 of my dogs. One is a Rottweiler and the other is a Sheepdog/Lab cross, so both big dogs. I lived in the country and as I was surrounded by fields full of sheep/lambs I decided it was the best thing to do as they would sometimes rable up into the fields (and as you can imagine a real country farmer will not take well to a dopey Rottweiler having fun chasing his sheep!) Also I was afraid of one of them getting hit by cars as people used to bomb it up and down the road. The day I put them on they both took to it straight away (obviously the first time they tried to get out they were confused and didnt no what it was so the rottie tried again and ran back squealing, this was the last time she tried!) This link that you have posted is NOT due to the shock the collars give off, it IS in fact due to very bad pet owning, it is very obvious to me that the collar was far far too tight and it had embedded. If you look closely you can actually see the 2 holes on the neck where the 2 pins had embedded. These pins have to be longer for larger breeds as they have so much more skin around their neck they would not feel the shock. For example my Rottie had to get larger pins for her collar because we discovered they were not long enough to reach her to "shock her" because she has so much loose skin around her neck! As opposed to my Sheepdog/Lab cross, she has very little loose skin so we needed shorter pins. As i said, this picture is definitely not due to the collar's shocks, it is due to people being bad/nasty pet owners. Embedded collars are very common in neglected dogs.

Omg i cant actually believe what im reading:(

Even reading that piece makes me so upset. The pins werent long enough to SHOCK her?? seriously, can you not see how cruel and unnecessary that is?? Shocking the poor dog, its awful, did you try putting the collar on your self and see how much the shock hurts you?

It doesnt matter that the link i put up might not be necessarily down to the collar being used normally, but the FACT is, these collars CAN do awful damage to your dog and if people are prepared to put their dog at even that small amount of risk then in my eyes its cruel.

:mad:

We would still never, ever leave our dogs unattended in a garden while we were out.

If you go to the thread re lost and found you will see why.

No fence is a safeguard against thieves. Nor is any amount of training.

So many dogs left alone outside vanish in Ireland.

Omg i cant actually believe what im reading:(

Even reading that piece makes me so upset. The pins werent long enough to SHOCK her?? seriously, can you not see how cruel and unnecessary that is?? Shocking the poor dog, its awful, did you try putting the collar on your self and see how much the shock hurts you?

It doesnt matter that the link i put up might not be necessarily down to the collar being used normally, but the FACT is, these collars CAN do awful damage to your dog and if people are prepared to put their dog at even that small amount of risk then in my eyes its cruel.

:mad:

Yes that is exactly what I wrote! It is not a shock like you think, like an electric nasty shock! More like static! Do you REALLY think these collars would be on the market if they were dangerous??! Come on!!! It couldnt possibly be cruel! You obviously dont own a large dog otherwise you would understand what i meant about the pins not being long enough. They worked absolutely brilliantly for me when I had them and they prevented my dogs from being knocked over and killed, which is a responsible thing to do! Would you prefer random dogs to be knocked over/killing sheep/rambling on the roads?? I found that there is no risk involved, I am a responsible pet owner that did my research about them before I bought them for my two dogs. You just dont have a correct understanding so I suggest you have a look/read about them before you judge! :mad:

Yes that is exactly what I wrote! It is not a shock like you think, like an electric nasty shock! More like static! Do you REALLY think these collars would be on the market if they were dangerous??! Come on!!! It couldnt possibly be cruel! You obviously dont own a large dog otherwise you would understand what i meant about the pins not being long enough. They worked absolutely brilliantly for me when I had them and they prevented my dogs from being knocked over and killed, which is a responsible thing to do! Would you prefer random dogs to be knocked over/killing sheep/rambling on the roads?? I found that there is no risk involved, I am a responsible pet owner that did my research about them before I bought them for my two dogs. You just dont have a correct understanding so I suggest you have a look/read about them before you judge! :mad:

I have a perfect understanding of these collars thanks. Of course its cruel!! :mad::mad: and for your information they are actually banned in Wales now and are illegal to use so its not going to be long before they are banned in this country, hopefully sooner rather than later!!!

So yes, i do believe that there are things for sale in this country even if they are cruel!!!

No i wouldnt prefer dogs to be knocked down, but YOU are meant to be responsible for your dog to make sure this doesnt happen so thats what good fencing or a dog run is for not a collar that hurts them.

A responsible thing to do is make sure your dog is fenced in, not have a contraption on its neck that shocks it and causes pain.

Watch this video and watch the last minute or so and tell me that these collars dont inflict pain:confused:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9fQq3CuXro
    :mad::mad:

You obviously dont own a large dog otherwise you would understand what i meant about the pins not being long enough. :

Yes i do actually, i own a male rottweiler and i would never dream of putting a collar like this on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

FYI

These collars are banned in Wales, Scotland will ban next, the UK is looking at the scientific evidence and I feel will move to ban them soon. I suspect Ireland will follow.

In order for a punisher (the shock) to work it must be painful, shocking and have an affect on the animal. That is basic learning theory 101. A punisher will not decrease behaviour unless it is aversive enough for that animal. As we see in the above post re large Rottie he required the punisher to be increased in order to work.

It only takes one association of an aversive (shock) to be associated with an object or person (child) for the animal to strongly associate the shock with that object or animal hence the public safety aspect. How that animal reacts to that associated object the next time is dependent on the animal. One dog may bark another may bite. There are too many variables.

It is for these reasons that electric shock collars are being banned. The scientific evidence is there.

Appropriate social contact
    A safe and secure home where no harm comes to them - a basic need. This is not the case if a dog has a collar on his neck and he is aware of what can come from that collar.
    Shelter, warmth and good nutrition
    Not to need to LEAVE the home....

It is unacceptable to shock these dogs regardless of how many times it happens or how many beeps or warnings there are. Why? just so you don't have to build a fence? It is ironic that those who use such devices use the term 'freedom'.. how about freedom from the shocking collar that may go off at any stage? Some dogs have these on their whole life.

It is unethical to use a device that uses 2 prongs, 1 to send a shock into the meck and muscle of the dog and the second to receive the shock out of the dog. This is how they work.

If a shock collar was placed on a human and they were not told what they were going to be shocked for, stress levels increase dramatically and the anticipation of a shock becomes a signigicant stressor.

So unless you are able to measure cortisol levels in your dog and unless you are able to read canine body language, stress indicators, distance increasing and decreasing signals in your dog which many who study for years on end find difficult, then you cannot say what affect a collar has on your dog.

They are banned for a reason because they are cruel and dangerous.

• Advertisement

BeauZak wrote: »
    FYI

These collars are banned in Wales, Scotland will ban next, the UK is looking at the scientific evidence and I feel will move to ban them soon. I suspect Ireland will follow.

In order for a punisher (the shock) to work it must be painful, shocking and have an affect on the animal. That is basic learning theory 101. A punisher will not decrease behaviour unless it is aversive enough for that animal. As we see in the above post re large Rottie he required the punisher to be increased in order to work.

It only takes one association of an aversive (shock) to be associated with an object or person (child) for the animal to strongly associate the shock with that object or animal hence the public safety aspect. How that animal reacts to that associated object the next time is dependent on the animal. One dog may bark another may bite. There are too many variables.

It is for these reasons that electric shock collars are being banned. The scientific evidence is there.

Appropriate social contact
    A safe and secure home where no harm comes to them - a basic need. This is not the case if a dog has a collar on his neck and he is aware of what can come from that collar.
    Shelter, warmth and good nutrition
    Not to need to LEAVE the home....

It is unacceptable to shock these dogs regardless of how many times it happens or how many beeps or warnings there are. Why? just so you don't have to build a fence? It is ironic that those who use such devices use the term 'freedom'.. how about freedom from the shocking collar that may go off at any stage? Some dogs have these on their whole life.

It is unethical to use a device that uses 2 prongs, 1 to send a shock into the meck and muscle of the dog and the second to receive the shock out of the dog. This is how they work.

If a shock collar was placed on a human and they were not told what they were going to be shocked for, stress levels increase dramatically and the anticipation of a shock becomes a signigicant stressor.

So unless you are able to measure cortisol levels in your dog and unless you are able to read canine body language, stress indicators, distance increasing and decreasing signals in your dog which many who study for years on end find difficult, then you cannot say what affect a collar has on your dog.

They are banned for a reason because they are cruel and dangerous.
    i got the fence and collars
    used them for one week 2 hrs a day
    now i have put the lot away
    dogs are staying put
    i realise i really do not need the fence
    with the last 2 weeks they are outside without, i am happy with that, all the excitement in them is gone, so they have a great time being free

I have a perfect understanding of these collars thanks. Of course its cruel!! :mad::mad: and for your information they are actually banned in Wales now and are illegal to use so its not going to be long before they are banned in this country, hopefully sooner rather than later!!!

So yes, i do believe that there are things for sale in this country even if they are cruel!!!

No i wouldnt prefer dogs to be knocked down, but YOU are meant to be responsible for your dog to make sure this doesnt happen so thats what good fencing or a dog run is for not a collar that hurts them.

A responsible thing to do is make sure your dog is fenced in, not have a contraption on its neck that shocks it and causes pain.

Watch this video and watch the last minute or so and tell me that these collars dont inflict pain:confused:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9fQq3CuXro
    :mad::mad:

ONCE AGAIN! My two dogs were never in pain, so do not suggest for a second that I would be cruel to my pets, you don't know me or my situation so please allow me to have my opinion. Maybe they are banned in Wales, I don't really care as I do not live in Wales. The smoking age in Spain is 16, so are you going to argue with that too?! Different countries = different laws. Ugh I just really despise people that shove their opinions down everyones neck! Im outta here!

ONCE AGAIN! My two dogs were never in pain, so do not suggest for a second that I would be cruel to my pets, you don't know me or my situation so please allow me to have my opinion. Maybe they are banned in Wales, I don't really care as I do not live in Wales. The smoking age in Spain is 16, so are you going to argue with that too?! Different countries = different laws. Ugh I just really despise people that shove their opinions down everyones neck! Im outta here!

Its an opinion on a piece of equipment that causes pain to an animal so of course im going to argue the point, someone has to stand up for the poor dogs:(.
    Did you try putting it on your own neck and turning on the shock to see if it hurts or not?
    If not then you cant comment whether the dog was in pain or not unless you actually felt the shock yourself.

Theres a big diff in putting an age limit on something and banning another, very big difference so you cannot compare the two at all.

The product is banned because it causes harm and inflicts pain to the animal, so wont be long before the same happens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Quick question, if your animals were never in pain, why would they no longer cross the electonic fence? Your dog ran away squealing after it received an electronic shock to its neck, a very sensitive area of the dogs body.

IF your dog was not in pain I'm sure it would wander off when it saw something interesting.

YOUR ANIMALS ARE IN PAIN WHEN THEY RECEIVE A SHOCK. Stop fooling yourself into believing that it doesnt hurt.

Be responsible and train your dog, or else buy a dog pen. Stop hurting your dog.

I know people who have to keep watching their kids around the cooker, and have to keep telling (training) their kids to keep away from the cooker.
    Of Course, the quick and easy way to get to the bottom of it would be to let their kids put their hand on the hot hob, would you recommend this? And dont say its not the same thing, its the EXACT same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Is the principle not the same as using electric fencing such as those used for strip grazing and horse farming?
    Iv been shocked by these many times and it really isn't what you would describe as painful its just a little jolt.
    Im not sure if i would use one myself but I definitely don't think its cruel especially if it will mean the dogs can be let out to play safely.

Aversion therapy is always painful; that is how it works.

If it wasn't painful it wouldn't be any use. Dog would say, ah well that didn't hurt so here we go throgh the fence..

And animals have a different reaction to pain from humans. And even we differ greatly re pain threshholds.

So yes, it is painful and yes to be avoided. No way is it necessary or an easy on the owner let out for training and supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

goat2 wrote: »
    I would like to know what the experience of people who use these fences
    I cannot put up a timper or brick wall
    but i would like to know if they work, and where i can get them at a reasonable price, as they seem very expensive, as i have 3 pets to put the collars on
    how do they exactily work
    are they worth it
    do some dogs breach them
    where i can get them at and can they be bought second hand

I wouldnt buy one second hand... we got one installed about 4 years ago, as we couldnt keep our cocker in (1 1/2 arces) and he is a bit of a fool when it comes to cars etc.... I have to say the collar ahs been a god sent.. like other posters have stated.. a proper collars come with warning signals....

Firstly when installing you install the small flags that it comes with it along certain parts of your boundary... your dog will learn that these flags been no go.... then the collar will vibrate when you dog approcahes the wire if he persist... it will then vibrate and beep to give warning... the distance between fence and the vibration etc is set by you... you can make it as far away or a near as you wish...

the other sposters expressed worry over the use of these collars... we have ours 4 years and our dog has never gotten out... has NO marks on his neck because it doesnt sting him... as soon as its vibrates he steps backwards etc... we have never had a problem with the fence... ;)

The collars mentioned on the Facebook page... are training collars... these are totally different.. these electricute the dog while tying to train them... ie the dog barks ... the owner can press a button on a remote control and zap the dog etc... Now these collars are a total disgrace and i agree should be banned.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

You're not getting it. My dog doesn't get shocked, he knows he cant cross the wire. Does your dog run into the side of the run all day?, I bet he doesn't because he knos he can't get through it. The fact is my dog suffers the same amount of pain everday as your dog except he has half and acre to run around. I admit he did get shocked a few times in his training days, but it didn't do him any harm and was better for him in the long run.

Couldnt agree more with you.... this is a far better alternative than a poky dog run... we have a radio fence for our land ... about an acre and half... our dog NEVER gets a shock....... the beeping is enough to stop him in his tracks :D

I do agree that a dog is far worse... wouldnt have my dog confined like that all day... he would be bored and unhappy!

Advertisement