Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you write before the exam starts?

Options
  • 25-03-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

I asked this question in another thread but it was off topic and so I want to know what the rules are about writing in your booklet before the exam starts.

Obviously you can't open your exam question paper before the invigilator says to do so but it seems to be ok to open your writing copy and start writing like crazy if you want.

Like if you are sitting there for 15 minutes before the exam starts you could have 3 or 4 pages of a brainstorm done. Would you not get strange looks from the guys around you and people shouting 'cheat'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm not sure what the exact rules are, but I don't think I've ever heard of some writing anything other than their exam number and centre before they got the paper. I mean, what would even be the point of brainstorming when you don't even know what the questions are? You'll just be tiring yourself out for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Lawliet wrote: »
    you don't even know what the questions are?

If it was allowed I wouldn't see any harm in lashing down all the Yeats and Lear quotes I know together with the a table for the comparative question. Better to write them down at 10 to 2 when they are fresh rather than at 4 o clock in a panic

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Ya I'm wondering the same thing,It would just put my mind at ease knowing I had all the quotes I needed on a piece odf scrap paper so I wouldn't haveto worry about forgeting them in the middle of the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Im sure you cant write down anytihng until the exam papers are handed out. Theyll take the script off you and give you a fresh one if they find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭furbey

Depends on the examiner most of em don't care once you get the paper you could open it and start away unno....
    Just see if they are sound so obviously not an option for the first english paper.

They usually have sympathy and know your nervous and your afraid you'll forget it
    It just proves to them you've worked hard and they shouldn't have problemes with you cheating when it means alot to you so they usually don't mind:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It was a good few years ago, but in my Geography LC, it was 4 questions in 3 hours 20 minutes and you needed every single bit of that time.
    Every year, the field study question (basically write about a project you did) was exactly the same and so when I got the booklet I started scribbling down this question for the 5 minutes or so before the exam actually started. I'm pretty sure the invigilator saw me but didn't call me up on it.

It would probably depend on the invigilator though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

furbey wrote: »
    It just proves to them you've worked hard and they shouldn't have problemes with you cheating when it means a lot to you so they usually don't mind:)
    *blinks*

*wanders off to find the world he grew up in*

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Don't think they would have a problem. How could you possibly be cheating or anything like that - you haven't see the exam yet! Last year I remember I wrote out all the formulas and drew the accounts in the accounting exam(inface the whole class did) without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

pathway33 wrote: »
    I asked this question in another thread but it was off topic and so I want to know what the rules are about writing in your booklet before the exam starts.

Obviously you can't open your exam question paper before the invigilator says to do so but it seems to be ok to open your writing copy and start writing like crazy if you want.

Like if you are sitting there for 15 minutes before the exam starts you could have 3 or 4 pages of a brainstorm done. Would you not get strange looks from the guys around you and people shouting 'cheat'?

That's not going to happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

wrote:
    randylonghorn*blinks*

*wanders off to find the world he grew up in*
    Hahah. Oh thank God I'm not the only one.

Student to examiner: Hey listen, do you mind if I cheat in the exam.
    Examiner: Under no circumstances may you cheat!
    Student: Please? It would mean a lot to me!
    Examiner: Ah OK so! If it would mean a lot to you go on! Ya little scamp!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

pathway33 wrote: »

Write a big "I <3 YOU" on the front of your answer booklet, guaranteed extra marks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Write a big "I <3 YOU" on the front of your answer booklet, guaranteed extra marks! ;)

Haha. "Dear examiner. Enclosed is a cock shot and some pics of me wearing some heels and pink lingerie. If this appeals to you in any way please call 087******* and give me an A1. Cheers. PS - ASL???!?!? :D"

Advertisement