Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shoes for toddler with flat feet

Options
  • 25-03-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi I was wondering of anyone could help me.
    When my son was only a couple of months he was at physio for his foot as he was inclined to turn it inwards but thankfully after a couple of sessions his foot was ok. But now at the age of 2 he has started to turn it in again so much so he is inclined to trip himself up so at his 2 year developmental check-up I looked for the phn to refer him for a physio appointment which he attended yesterday.
    The physiotherapist has said that he has flat feet and his bones are so hyper mobile that when he walks that his foot is just collapsing under him, and so she gave me some exercises to do with him, but she also said that he needs a good pair of leather supporting shoes that have laces and also as he has quite a narrow foot that he will need a particular size.
    So my question is, if anyone has any experience of this and if they can recommend a different shoe shop other than clarks?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not clarks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Where are you living... or what area?

My kids have flat feet, was recommended not to get clarks either

She said that the bubble gummers in heatons are quite good and very reasonable

Try ecco, geox and start rite.

Also go for a shoe with a rigid back. That will support his foot.

Boots are great, make sure that the back of them are stiff. Runner boots as well. but make sure they are laced up tight.

Do not buy uggs or sandals/ flip flops.

The most important thing to do is the exercises.. walking on tippy toes, the penguin walk, walking on a straight line..

All my kids have the flat feet.. My daughter has insoles now, she was detected late.. But my little fella who is four is coming on great with just exercise.

Best of luck...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

i used to be a trained fitter for Start-Rite kids shoes. the heel bone tilts to one side, causing the arch to droop, so a shoe with rigid heels and good straps/laces help that. if you got physio, would they not be able to recommend a brand that they would trust?

i dont know any other brand for comparison, but they were a good sturdy shoe. you will need that anyway with good straps/laces so shoes are not too loose, there will be no support in that. start rite also do narrow fittings and are geared towards correcting feet before they get too problematic.

my boss in the shoe shop often pawned a half size big/small when the correct size was out of stock just to get the sale, (sizing is only a guide anyway,) its the fit thats important - so check the fit yourself before you buy:

when fitting the shoe on the child, check that by pushing the foot as far as it will go towards the toe, with the shoe open as much as it can -you should be able to get your index finger between the heel of the shoe and your childs foot. if you do this, then any arch supports will be in the right place, and toes have growing room - kids can get bunions too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

My son is 7yrs and plays a lot of sport. Was complaining of pain in his legs and I noticed he was running awkwardly...upon checking he has very flat feet. So GP gave me number for Orthotics guy who examined him and given him custom made insoles for his footwear. Pair for everyday wear and a softer pair for playing sports. He has to be assessed every 3mths for next year and half but it should rectify....thankfully we found it now as his feet are still developing as it could cause posture/back problems in later life.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/Shoe_%26_Footwear_Shops/Well_Shod_Orthopaedic_Footwear/IE_12459951_9999_1001

This is his contact details if you live in the Midlands, if not maybe he could give you name of someone in your area. Good luck!

Advertisement