Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing climate control from car to car

• 25-03-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads. I have a 07 highline passat scrapped at home. I am buying a 09 in the uk. I have a small problem the 09 has no dual zone climate control but my 07 has. Would it be possible to transfer the gear from the 07 to the 09. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It's always possible, but how you'd go about doing it would be another thing. I reckon it would be a dash out job as there is probably some signifcant differences between both units.

You could get a copy of Elsawin (the VAG Workshop manual) on eBay and see if that tells you anything.

You'd want to be pretty brave to take that on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Im pretty sure the piece with the dials etc would screw out maybe.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

SARASON wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the piece with the dials etc would screw out maybe.....

In fairness, if you want to retro fit an AC system to a car than this will be the least of your worries.

You will need to fit an AC rad, pipes, pump (belt driven) pipes into car etc etc....

Its a fairly mammoth job, and if you are need to change the analogue heating control dials to digital ones, thats another headache.

Not to mention that you would need the system re-gassed once completed...

Best of luck if you want to try this OP, but personally i think it'll be too much hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Am I right in thinking it's just the 'dual zone' bit the OP wants to install?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Car already has A/C, just UK Poverty Spec Manual A/C rather than the dual zone that All Irish Passats bar the base model come with.

I'd guess it's just automatic control of the existing system, but there is probably more to it than just the dials. For Climate Control there must be an internal temp sensors somewhere to regulate the climate control. Whether that is fitted in to cars with manual A/C and just not connected I wouldn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Don't even bother. There's a guy on the UK totalMINI forum who upgraded his manual aircon, to climate, and holy sh1t, what a job it was. He had to rip out most of the dash, get a full loom and some control units/servos from a scrapper, spend a few days identifying what control units and wires in the loom did what, then try to splice the additional wires onto his own, then fit all the ancillaries to make it work, temp sensors, servos to actuate the vents, etc. It took him nearly a fortnight all in - AND he was an ex MINI mechanic who thought he had a good idea of how to do it. Even connecting it to the diagnostic machine so he could code the car to accept his home made climate control upgrade was a nightmare after, it didn't want to recognise it for ages.

Too much hassle, and not even remotely worth it. Just trade it in sometime when you're in the mood for a change and get one with the options you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Don't even bother. There's a guy on the UK totalMINI forum who upgraded his manual aircon, to climate, and holy sh1t, what a job it was. He had to rip out most of the dash, get a full loom and some control units/servos from a scrapper, spend a few days identifying what control units and wires in the loom did what, then try to splice the additional wires onto his own, then fit all the ancillaries to make it work, temp sensors, servos to actuate the vents, etc. It took him nearly a fortnight all in - AND he was an ex MINI mechanic who thought he had a good idea of how to do it. Even connecting it to the diagnostic machine so he could code the car to accept his home made climate control upgrade was a nightmare after, it didn't want to recognise it for ages.

Too much hassle, and not even remotely worth it. Just trade it in sometime when you're in the mood for a change and get one with the options you want.

agreed too much hassle, better to look for a 09 passat with dual zone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you'd be looking at changing the heater unit as well as wiring loom, controls, sensors etc. not worth it.

robtri wrote: »
    agreed too much hassle, better to look for a 09 passat with dual zone.....

My 07 has the dual zone but the 09 dont. Thanks paintdoctor ill just look for something else ill find a scrapman in cork that will buy the 07. Gas thing is people say its a buyers market... Cars aint that cheap at all when you go lookin for them......

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you'd be looking at changing the heater unit as well as wiring loom, controls, sensors etc. not worth it.

Thanks colm i was goin to pm you actually. I just had a closer look at the 09/10 passats are slightly facelifted inside with black dials etc where my 07 had blue and red........

• Advertisement
Advertisement