Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regulation of Kayaking and Canoeing in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Interesting thread. I agree with the posters who say increasing government intervention isn't the answer. However we do need better and more representitive self regulation, I've seen how some adventure centres and clubs operate and it's dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Truley wrote: »
    increasing government intervention isn't the answer

The things is as we stand right now there are no legal guide line or standards, its like the wild west out there.... and more than enough cowboys willing to take advantage of this.

We need soem sort of protection for students / clients.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I had a bit of a read off this topic.

Personally I think the system the ICU is running is ok. Could it be better? Yes. You will find more and more insurance companies looking at qualifications and the National and european standards are laid down by the ICU and ECF. As long as the instructor training and ratios stay in the ICU's control I reckon it is all you can do to regulate clubs. And too much interference will drive paddlers away from the ICU and incident insurance.

Commercial companies are a different business. There are best practice guidelines out there but no enforcement. But then again maybe yet another quango by a government is not the way to go. I am undecided about forcing compliance but then I would prefer all instructors to be properly qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

I know this is a bit late on the subject but thats the brilliant thing about forums you can always open up old debates.
    There needs to be a balance in regards to all of this - it is important for regulation but not to the point where it is prohibitive to the fun element. Commercial operators should be governed and maybe have to be passed by a regulatory authority, however any costs for this should be minimal otherwise it would not make kayaking as a profession viable.
    Clubs obviously need regulations and child protection courses etc are all valuable tools, qualified instructors in young clubs or in clubs that have had an issue with an instructor backfill struggle to keep to the rules and in truth if they were 100% followed in these instances the club may die. I think there needs to be a gap fill between paddler and grade 1 / 2 instructor - could there not be a system where a club could train up a series of people to assist an instructor. Maybe starting off with a level 3 skills base and then an assesment of rescue and recovery. These can be run in day or weekend courses. Not everyone wants to become an instructor and certainly not everyone has the time or money to complete the course (Travelling to log hours etc). This could help increase the ratios to an acceptable level and maybe tier how many pupils to instructor & assistants are on the river.
    Just my two cents worth - it would be interesting to hear form other people in clubs as well
    Cheers
    Chris
    kayakhut.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

That's a good point christramp; for example I have a level three proficancy, REC 3, child protection cert, sports for people with disability cert as well as nearly four years of whitewater paddling experience. The only reason I haven't managed to get as far as L2 instructor training is time and finances.

I'm part of a very small club that has plenty of proficient paddlers but only two qualified and available instructors. Coming up to summer we are being inundated with requests from individuals and groups looking to take part in flat water sessions, but it seems our hands are tied without the papers. It's catch 22 for such a small club because we can't grow without members and can't get members without the instructors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

in england they tried or are trying to get kayakers licenced under the shipping regulations. there was an artical on the surfing board before this was established.
    but to me kayaking should not be marine it should be sport afterall there are many different events and styles of kayaking that are in the olympics and a few that could be added.
    there should be alot more done with reguards the safty of adventure sports area.
    evan a proper college course within the tourism sector for people to get there proper assessments from kayak instructing to cycling

Advertisement