Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avensis, Back Pain

• 25-03-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Well its my 1st week in the Avensis after 4 years driving my automatic Carina.

Driving the Avensis last nite i woke up this morning with back pain, where as it never happed when i drove the Carina? Now i dont know what it could be but i have a feeling it could got do with driving a Manual car after 4 years of driving a Automatic?

Maybe this is normal, asides from the back pain the avensis is a nice car but i dont like it one bit, it alot better equipped than the Carina, a smoother ride. But i deeply regret buying it, damned taxi regulator. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Common enough, your old seat was bo11oxed so it was. Now your back is straight for once and your poor 'aul back is feeling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Maybe the massive mileage has affected the structure and support of the seat? It shouldn't be that bad - maybe a breakers yard replacement?

Try keeping it more upright and make sure that your legs and arms are slightly bent in the normal driving position. Adjust the steering for a little more rake?

My moneys on seat wear and sag though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

squod wrote: »
    Common enough, your old seat was bo11oxed so it was. Now your back is straight for once and your poor 'aul back is feeling it.

Dont think so, the seats in the Carina were out of a 70K mile executive spec one and the hard hardly no wear on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I Was VB wrote: »
    Well its my 1st week in the Avensis after 4 years driving my automatic Carina.

Driving the Avensis last nite i woke up this morning with back pain, where as it never happed when i drove the Carina? Now i dont know what it could be but i have a feeling it could got do with driving a Manual car after 4 years of driving a Automatic?

Maybe this is normal, asides from the back pain the avensis is a nice car but i dont like it one bit, it alot better equipped than the Carina, a smoother ride. But i deeply regret buying it, damned taxi regulator. :mad:

Well I did say that your passengers deserved something alittle better (in your original thread )than a €1600 taxi. It seems you require something better too.

mickdw wrote: »
    Well I did say that your passengers deserved something alittle better (in your original thread )than a €1600 taxi. It seems you require something better too.

There is very little wear on the drivers seat, yea i agree i need to get my Carina back!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The Avensis is a very uncomfortable car over long distances. Reps hate them for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Why not bodge in the drivers seat from the carina ? ( air bag issues tho .. )

I reckon the the manual will get to you eventually too...( after 4 years in an auto )

homer90 wrote: »
    Why not bodge in the drivers seat from the carina ?

I reckon the the manual will get to you eventually too...( after 4 years in an auto )

All the electrics and airbags in them would be dangerious to mess around with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Look after your back. I have had a problem with mine since mid-December. €800 on visits to the doctor, chiroproactor & more recently an oesteopath still hasn't got me right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

You could try one of those car seat covers with built in adjustable lumbar support and message function.

Heres a few -> http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/carseatheatm.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Avensis is a very uncomfortable car over long distances. Reps hate them for that reason.

A friend of mine drove me to Shannon Airport a while back and it was almost a three hour drive, This may sound a bit mad, but I swear the seats on the Ryanair plane afterwards were more comfortable than his car!

New Toyotas today are generally crap and only for the new taxi regulations your old Toyota could probably have lasted you for the next ten years as they certainly don't make em like they used to! I think you were a bit mad to get a Manual especially for a taxi, all that trundling through gears must be a nightmare and will be harder to sell as a taxi which is the market you'd be aiming for with the meters and various other taxi related accoutrements. One thing I advise is see after your back as there is nothing worse and if it is the car (Most likely a contributing factor) I'd advise you get new seats or get rid of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'm afraid they just don't have good seats OP, I'm driving the very same car as you at the moment(till I can afford something decent) though with about 1/3rd of the mileage yours has and I get neck pains if I have to drive more than say 90 minutes, if it's any consolation the ones in the poverty spec 1.6s are considerably worse than the Luna seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 1.6 and Luna seats are the same, just different material covering them. no lumbar support in either, which is unusual given that the older Avensis had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 1.6 and Luna seats are the same, just different material covering them.

For the pre and post facelift models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pre facelift are the same, post facelift has slightly heavier bolstering on the Luna. none have Lumbar support (except Sol and 2.4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jesus, toyotaboy, you need to take care of yourself a little bit better. I'm guessing you're only in your (early or mid) 20s? Surely you don't want to be troubled by back problems for the rest of your life :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I found that I always seem to end up sitting on rather that in Avensis due to the being up in the air.

unkel wrote: »
    Jesus, toyotaboy, you need to take care of yourself a little bit better. I'm guessing you're only in your (early or mid) 20s? Surely you don't want to be troubled by back problems for the rest of your life :(

You will be glad to know i found the reason why i borked up my back last nite, had the seat too far back in the car was messing about with it before i went out to work. Home now and i'm like a new pin :D , was a bit of a strech to use the gearstick and clutch.

A rookie mistake :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Scrapyard, LS400 Seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I've had the (mis)pleasure of driving a 1.8 Luna Eventless for the last couple of months - I find it a comfortable car to drive... besides the fact it wouldn't pull you out of bed. Been on a few long journeys too, never had any aches or pains!

• Advertisement
Advertisement