Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

haha you quoted me before i deleted.

I was using the eircom tool. rang their support and they said it was setup. Told me to restart the modem then restart the eircom tool as it might not pick it up first time.

Did that and unlimited then popped up.
    ah, nice :) enjoy your downloading :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pizzican

Oh yes I saw that on the website given to me earlier. But what will happen to those of us not on the NGB? Will we be charged at the same rate? I'm on 7mb but Limerick isn't blue on the coverage map. I have a 50gb allowance so will I be charged €2 per GB up to a max of €50? Or will they continue to turn a blind eye to those of us on the old packages?
    Now Limerick has two blue areas. One covering the city center and another covering Castletroy area and around.
    http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/ (coverage map)

pizzican wrote: »
    Now Limerick has two blue areas. One covering the city center and another covering Castletroy area and around.
    http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/ (coverage map)

Yeah I don't know about the Castletroy area but the blue one over the city centre has been there for a few weeks now. It's all well and good doing a big launch and setting up a fancy website...there's still only a very small portion of the country actually getting NGB! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 spot2008

[IMG][/img]828049160.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11 spot2008

[IMG][/img]828075171.png
    Eircom sales say that it should be at 8mb, but broadband support guy said it will never be over 2mb cause thats all the speed the line can handle. So much for NGB, was sold another lie by eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

currently on the 3mb line and getting this
    828093155.png
    have signed up for the NGB and currently waiting on the router for about a month
    how long was it before people got their routers and then the change over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Eircom rang me yesterday looking for me to change over to them. Girl said they would be rolling out the 8 MB and mobile/home phone and broadband package in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I got my first Eircom bill today after being upgraded to 8MB broadband with 30GB usage limit over a month ago. There was no mention of additional costs for going over the usage allowance, I had used 60GB.

Happy days :cool: I can't see this lasting forever though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I just took the plunge and upgraded, been monitoring my monthly downloads and the lowest in the last 12 months was 35 gig. I reckon I use 30 gig on live.twit.tv alone. Back to watching online video at the highest resolution for me, yay.

It seems the fastest i can get is 4mbit though, pretty annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Im on 7mb at the moment with a 40gb limit, so it seems i should be upgraded to the unlimited(250gb) Advanced pack, is this right?!
    There is no way i'll use that much in a month, but i wont complain!:D

Do i need to upgrade online, or will they automatically do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just got upgraded there automatically. My new line stats:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5120 512
    SN Margin (dB) 11.10 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 46.00 29.00
    CRC Errors 194 20

EDIT: And now they're showing this:
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1984 512
    SN Margin (dB) 14.10 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 44.50 29.00
    CRC Errors 540 5

Load of bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got the letter the other saying it was being upgraded from my 3 meg package,
    thought it would be a while though. Last night I downloaded 15 megs in 45 seconds,which surprised me. I just checked speedtest now
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/848562038.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]848562038.png
    Well it's not 8 megs,though nearly and my upload speed seems to be the same as the 3 meg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Was 3mb the max your line could handle before?
    Thats my situation hoping it will up my speeds

I have no idea. Though just to make us all feel sick,here's a guy I know speedtest results from Stockholm

http://www.speedtest.net/result/701821154.png

Approx $30 a month in Sweland money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cp9a

Had 2 lads around to the house today looking for me to change back to eircom. I asked about the download limit and one said that they only look at people who have downloaded over 1Tb in a month. Then I asked him about the 3 strike rule and he said that all ISP's have brought that in but Eircom is the only one that ever gets mentioned because its the biggest provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭marrm

cp9a wrote: »
    Had 2 lads around to the house today looking for me to change back to eircom. I asked about the download limit and one said that they only look at people who have downloaded over 1Tb in a month. Then I asked him about the 3 strike rule and he said that all ISP's have brought that in but Eircom is the only one that ever gets mentioned because its the biggest provider.

Be careful. I've had them round also, guaranteeing 8Mb on my line which can only take3.5Mb, and talking about the 1TB limit. But when you sign up, if you go above 10GB, the extra pricing kicks in! :mad::mad:

Checked this with eircom over the phone. The salesmen are deperate and running wild. Don't believe them! :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

If you go over your monthly cap and they charge you €2 per GB. Is their excess charge capped at a certain price per month?

Zatoichi wrote: »
    If you go over your monthly cap and they charge you €2 per GB. Is their excess charge capped at a certain price per month?

Got this from the FAQ:
    The maximum you will be charged for your NGB (including excess usage & Broadband rental) is €49.99.

You will be charged €2 inc Vat per GB used above your allowance to a total of €49.99 for your Broadband package (including your Broadband rental).

If you are on the ‘NGB Basic’ package at €24.99, the maximum you will pay for excess usage is €24.00.

If you are on the ‘NGB Regular’ package at €29.99, the maximum you will pay for excess usage is €20.00.

If you are in a bundle, usage charging caps will be applied as follows:

NGB Basic & talktime chatter: Normal bundle price is €46.79. Max price including excess usage is €70.79
    NGB Basic & talktime talker: Normal bundle price is €51.78. Max price including excess usage is €75.78
    NGB Regular & talktime chatter: Normal bundle price is €51.78. Max price including excess usage is €71.78
    NGB Regular & talktime talker: Normal bundle price is €56.75. Max price including excess usage is €76.75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

How long after you upgrade should the Usage Stats app take to stop telling you that you are over your monthly download limit. I upgraded to the unlimited NGB on Tuesday, yet it still tells me I only have a 30gb download limit.

• Advertisement

Isn't the whole point of NGB that you get consistent speeds?

Since I was migrated my speeds have been up and down, at the moment it's 1800kbps and at best it's 5120kbps.

Eircon at their finest, huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

are you sure you have been migrated? give them a call anf complain.

gb--

Well my road on the coverage map is yellow so that means I've been migrated.

Tbh I couldn't be arsed calling their support to complain as they're absolutely hopeless. Just wish I could get UPC.

Well little has changed in terms of congestion with my upgrade. The router has just redlighted as I type,which was normal for a sunday afternoon and early evenings midweek with my 3 meg.I see some posters say their line can only accept 3.5, how do you find out if your line can actually take the 8 megs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

If you look at the stats in your router it will show downstream speeds and upstream, it will also show attentuation and the further you are from the excahnge the higher it will go. I am 4,5km and I get 44db. Have a look in router and post back the readings.

And just because the map shows yellow does not mean you have been migrated.

If are migrated and speeds are not constant then as I feared it is another big con.

gb--

The reason I think I've been migrated is because my speeds went up to a 5 meg line (and I'm on 3meg). So unless they've just bumped my speed for the time being and I'll be put on NGB later, it's all a load of bullcrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Shaneboyle

These are my speeds according to the map i have been migrated.
    But nothing has changed since last year

Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    63/31 dB

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8128 512
    SN Margin (dB) 7.00 25.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.50 16.00
    CRC Errors 1522 5

I think I'm about 2k as the crow flies from the exchange.
    Just did a speed test
    853894058.png

tonight not so good.

Shaneboyle wrote: »
    These are my speeds according to the map i have been migrated.
    But nothing has changed since last year

Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    63/31 dB

With line attenuation that high you're unlikely to get anything higher than what you already have. You're simply too far from the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I got a call from Eircom today telling me that NGB was now available for me on the Finglas exchange. Currently I'm with Digiweb's 7MB (40GB cap up/down).
    The price difference if I switched would be very small, but I don't think my downloading policies would agree with Eircom's download policies :D

Does anyone know if resellers like Digiweb will be able to offer something similar to Eircom's NGB in the near future?

Advertisement