Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Could I ask your source for this? Surely you couldn't, say, go over by 100GB and still be charged for 25GB (€50)?
    1234.jpg

enfant terrible posted the link to their products earlier.
    http://www.eircom.net/ngb
    Still though its a rough deal as the usage allowance (10GB, 30Gb etc) is inclusive of both upload and download, which sucks.

Oh yes I saw that on the website given to me earlier. But what will happen to those of us not on the NGB? Will we be charged at the same rate? I'm on 7mb but Limerick isn't blue on the coverage map. I have a 50gb allowance so will I be charged €2 per GB up to a max of €50? Or will they continue to turn a blind eye to those of us on the old packages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Well, I can only manage a 2.5mb on my 3mb line, so if they start charging me for going over my 30GB limit (which happens every month due to the house being full of heavy internet users) they'll be losing me as a customer.

Oh yes I saw that on the website given to me earlier. But what will happen to those of us not on the NGB? Will we be charged at the same rate? I'm on 7mb but Limerick isn't blue on the coverage map. I have a 50gb allowance so will I be charged €2 per GB up to a max of €50? Or will they continue to turn a blind eye to those of us on the old packages?

As it stands they can currently charge you 2 euro per GB over your 50Gb allowance.
    allowance.jpg
    From http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/3/?view=Standard

It's just that they don't.

Well, I can only manage a 2.5mb on my 3mb line, so if they start charging me for going over my 30GB limit (which happens every month due to the house being full of heavy internet users) they'll be losing me as a customer.

I've only the 3Mb line too. I'd jump ship in a heartbeat if I could it's just that there's no one else offering broadband in this part of Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I've only the 3Mb line too. I'd jump ship in a heartbeat if I could it's just that there's no one else offering broadband in this part of Galway.

I'm actually quite happy with Eircom as things stand. My bill averages around €75 a month, with a number of heavy phone and internet users in the household I can't complain with that figure at all and find it very reasonable.

However, I'll find it hard to justify paying the extra €50, when we inevitably exceed the 30GB download allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I'm actually quite happy with Eircom as things stand. My bill averages around €75 a month, with a number of heavy phone and internet users in the household I can't complain with that figure at all and find it very reasonable.

Thats because we're used to being horribly shafted in ireland. If you live in any other European country (including ones that we'd normally group as the poor, Eastern European countries like Estonia) then you'd be getting at least 24mb Broadband, UNLIMITED national calls and a very decent digital TV package for less money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will this download limit effect those of us who are not going to be on the Eircom NGN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Broadband Kid

Gonzo wrote: »
    will this download limit effect those of us who are not going to be on the Eircom NGN?

I certainly hope not Gonzo. I think it's just those who are on the NGN package in some parts of Dublin. I'm on 3mb but Cork isn't scheduled for NGN according to Eircom's coverage map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Whats the story with 10meg and 12 meg users? Are we being left out in the cold or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

According to Eircom,

Caps will be enforced, 2 euro for every GB over the cap - to a max of 50 euros.

Seems a pretty crap deal, at least as is they dont enforce the cap which makes the broadband at least usable.

If they start enforcing the caps then the broadband will be nothing short of a joke. Getting broadband seriously sucks in this country.:mad:

It's to a max of 50 euro including the price of your broadband.

It's to a max of 50 euro including the price of your broadband.

I saw that too and have been wondering about it.

Considering that their 7Mb package is 40 euros a month.
    Surely it couldn't be a case of pay the 10 euros extra and then download all you want for the rest of the month?

If it was people would take them to the cleaners!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Denmark101

I'm with meteor mobile broadband and they advertise it as a 'fixed' monthly bill. I got a bill this month for 405 euro! For ONE month! I was paying the same rate for the first 6 months and using the internet more or less just as much and now all of a sudden they said I went over my monthly allowance. My bill date was just a week ago and I cheaked online and already it says this months broadband is 68euro on top of the fixed amount.
    I didn't have time to change networks yet, will do next week- can someone suggest a network with a definate monthly fixed rate for unlimited use??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Surely it couldn't be a case of pay the 10 euros extra and then download all you want for the rest of the month?

For you yes, the price cap is €50 a month and you will only pay for 5GB of excess usage to reach that price cap. The next problem is what happens if you bust 250gb.

However a 1mbit user could pay €35 a month in excess charges if they bust their 10gb cap big time.

Their traffic counter app does not work right now so they can charge nobody anything till it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

hmm its really weird that eircom have changed there model from speed to usage with these new packages, from day one my lines only been capable to 3meg according to eircom, so with these upgrades i would only expect to get 3meg

This might be the kick in the ass i need to leave them and go with somebody else in all honesty

Shin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be honest this is a big step backwards.

Previously Eircom didn't charge anyone for going over the cap and everyone knew exactly how much they would pay each month. Now we are going back to the old days of per minute dial-up and no one knowing how much it is going to cost them.

Speeds up to 8GB and no contention is pretty useless when you've only got a 10GB cap.

Also I have to laugh at Eircom calling crappy "upto" 8mb ADSL "Next Generation Broadband", what a load of bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

As someone who knows nothing about anything ( except poker ) could someone please explain to me how I can find out my usage. I have the 3mb and only use the internet to play online poker, e-mails, boards and the very odd bit of music and video.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

shinzon wrote: »
    hmm its really weird that eircom have changed there model from speed to usage with these new packages, from day one my lines only been capable to 3meg according to eircom, so with these upgrades i would only expect to get 3meg

Yup, it is taken from the BT playbook. This allows them to advertise "upto" 8mb BB and 24mb BB to better position themselves to compete with UPC, while in reality most people won't get anywhere near these speeds and most people probably won't realise. Meanwhile they manage to extract more money out of people with their sneaky caps.

I was wondering when Eircom was going to start doing this. You can forget about Eircom rolling out true NGN tech like FTTH. Instead they are just going to milk their existing network for everything it has and compete purely in terms of marketing rather then quality of service.

I expect the next step is to continue to slowly roll out ADSL2+ and it's "upto" 24mb BB products and then eventually start rolling out VDSL2+ from the exchange (note not FTTC) so that they can advertise "upto" 50mb BB, while most people still won't get faster then what they currently have.

Sneaky gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Broadband Kid

I'll be moving to Vodafone A.S.A.P.

Yup, it is taken from the BT playbook

Exactly dealing with bt on an almost daily basis and there defintion of functional speedy broadband is a joke, seems eircoms going down this route as well and god help us all when they do,

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I'll be moving to Vodafone A.S.A.P.

That'll be pointless. As vodafone/imagine/magnet/smart/digiweb etc re-sell eircoms products, you're going to see a switch to this model over the coming months from them all.

It may well end up that products might be cheaper, but it'll definitely be usage based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

This might be the kick in the ass i need to leave them and go with somebody else in all honesty

Shin

3Mb maybe if thats all you're line can get ... but it'll be uncongested according to www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie! That means no drop at busy hour ... sounds good to me!

3Mb maybe if thats all you're line can get ... but it'll be uncongested according to www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie! That means no drop at busy hour ... sounds good to me!

Not boasting or anything please dont take it that way, but my line was never congested anyways always got what I paid for so makes no diff to me, but for those that are this of course will make a huge difference to them

Shin

Exactly dealing with bt on an almost daily basis

Not disagreeing with you but I was actually talking about BT UK.

They have three products all "upto" 20mb/s (it use to be 8mb/s but they are about two years ahead of Eircom) with either a 10GB, 20GB or unlimited cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

It says in todays Sunday business post the upgrade is happening tomorrow, 29/3.
    When I read it I thought finally a bit more speed for free and was elated.
    When i read this however I thought "Oh right, we are talking about Ireland here".
    This does not sound like good news at all.
    I go over the monthly cap (Which is ridiculous in the first place) most months and the 3mb was the most their site said my line can take. As 3mb is the most the line could take, that limits me to 30gb a month. I just want to use the internet, that's all, just use the internet. Is that too much to ask, obviously it is.

Hi Eircom, can I have the internet please.
    No, you can have a slowed down, monthly capped and now censored (since court case) version of the internet, but we do have great packages that are only 20 times more expensive than our nearest neighbors in the UK.

How come my line can't take above 3mb now but I'll be getting 8mb tomorrow and now be charged when I will inevitably exceed my paltry 30gb.
    30gb could be used up in no time on a couple of nights youtube HD sessions.
    Next generation broadband my arse. NGB is 100mb and rising fast, it's just NGB in this country.

If I'm charged for going over such a small cap I'll be jumping ship and they'll be loosing me as a phone customer too. The article I referenced above in the SBP says they were forced to offer higher speeds, mainly by UPC's offerings, but if they try this, UPC will be getting me as a customer, exactly what this, ahem, "Speed move" was designed to avoid. It sounds like they were forced to offer higher speeds they're not capable of delivering so they just made something up.

Eircom is expensive but I was relativity happy with what I was getting. The broadband was reliable which was the most important thing (something that made me move from Irish Broadband) and the very fact they weren't charging for exceeding the limit was what kept me complacent about the cost, but this is an absolute deal breaker for me.

p2p2p wrote: »
    If I'm charged for going over such a small cap I'll be jumping ship and they'll be loosing me as a phone customer too. The article I referenced above in the SBP says they were forced to offer higher speeds, mainly by UPC's offerings, but if they try this, UPC will be getting me as a customer, exactly what this, ahem, "Speed move" was designed to avoid. It sounds like they were forced to offer higher speeds they're not capable of delivering so they just made something up.

Yes, exactly it is all a marketing move. Most people won't get 8mb/s but Eircom hope that most people won't actually look at what they are getting and will instead just read the marketing and think 8mb/s is competitive.

Come on UPC, rollout DOCSIS 3 and let these muppets in the dust.

bk wrote: »
    Come on UPC, rollout DOCSIS 3 and let these muppets in the dust.
    I don't know what that is. What kind of speeds would that mean please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Germag wrote: »
    As someone who knows nothing about anything ( except poker ) could someone please explain to me how I can find out my usage.

Go to http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/ and plug your phone number and Account Number (from your phone bill) into their broadband stats checker.

I don't know what that is. What kind of speeds would that mean please?

Speeds up to 120mb/s :D

In other countries UPC has deployed DOCSIS 3 and they sell products like 60mb/s, 90mb/s and 120mb/s on it:

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

Now that is real Next Generation Broadband speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

bk wrote: »

Now that is real Next Generation Broadband speeds.

Agreed, and not the crap these charlatans are peddling

Advertisement