Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

bk wrote: »
    I was actually talking about BT UK.

yeah thats who I meant :)

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

im on the 7mb at 61 a month or something like that
    will i be upgraded to 8mb ?

should i go back to 1mb, and get the 8mb upgrade and only pay 49 a month ??

how does it work ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

BOBBY wrote: »
    im on the 7mb at 61 a month or something like that
    will i be upgraded to 8mb ?

should i go back to 1mb, and get the 8mb upgrade and only pay 49 a month ??

how does it work ?

If your on 7 it looks like you'll go to 8mb NGB advanced.
    If you go back to 1mb you'd go to 8mb but be charged €2 for every GB you exceed 10GB.

When you say ONLY pay €49 for 1mb broadband?:eek:
    That kind of charge would put you out of business in any other country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Anybody have an idea where the 24Mb package stands in all this?

I'm guessing that it'll be unlimited downloads too (subject to 250GB fair usage policy) yes/no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

bk wrote: »
    Speeds up to 120mb/s :D

In other countries UPC has deployed DOCSIS 3 and they sell products like 60mb/s, 90mb/s and 120mb/s on it:

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

Now that is real Next Generation Broadband speeds.

wow:eek::eek::eek: they get 120 mb for a little dearer than our highest 24mb with eircom and thats fibre powered broadband with upc not ****ty copper wire that eircom use the internet in this country is backwards :(:(
    120mb now id call that next generation broadband i wish upc was in my area all i have is eircom vodafone and whoever else that does DSL i hope upc hurry up and squash eircom out of alot of customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Anybody have an idea where the 24Mb package stands in all this?

I'm guessing that it'll be unlimited downloads too (subject to 250GB fair usage policy) yes/no?

wouldnt say so as of still the cap is 75GB for 24mb package then again i could be wrong they may put up the cap ..i dont know how they call 250GB ''unlimited'' 250GB IS A LIMIT they are a bunch of tossers capping the internet is just bull at this stage :mad::mad:

jay93 wrote: »
    wouldnt say so as of still the cap is 75GB for 24mb package then again i could be wrong they may put up the cap ..i dont know how they call 250GB ''unlimited'' 250GB IS A LIMIT they are a bunch of tossers capping the internet is just bull at this stage :mad::mad:

I wouldn't have though the cap would be as big an issue.

I mean this in the sense that Smart only has a 170GB cap, and upc has a 270GB cap - so Eircom's 250 is in that ballpark (at least it'd be better than the desperate 75GB:()

I'd imagine the lack of speed (i.e vast majority wont get past 20Mb/s, and thats assuming they can even get the higher package) would be the real problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Did anyone check to see if they had 8 Mb now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

No speed change for me yet - despite being a Dublin number that is showing up as being on NGB on their coverage map...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

So if you pay for 3Mb but the max your line only gives you 1.5Mb, will there be any increase in speed with NGB? If not then they arent really helping out their customers who need better service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Did anyone else's usage kind of reset. It says I downloaded 80 gb for the month up till the 27th then it resets back to 0 of 30 gb used. I am in Limerick so I won't be getting the NGB any time soon.

On a side note I think eircom would be delighted to see the back of all of us that go over our limit, they want the people who stay under their limit, don't tax the system and don't complain to the help desk when their speeds drop because they don't even notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ttcomet wrote: »
    Did anyone else's usage kind of reset. It says I downloaded 80 gb for the month up till the 27th then it resets back to 0 of 30 gb used. I am in Limerick so I won't be getting the NGB any time soon.
    It's reset to 0 here as well. I wonder if eircom will be charging for exceeding the cap in exchanges where the NGB upgrades haven't even been applied yet?
    On a side note I think eircom would be delighted to see the back of all of us that go over our limit, they want the people who stay under their limit, don't tax the system and don't complain to the help desk when their speeds drop because they don't even notice.
    Tbh I suspect this is eircom's way of getting revenue from those that go over the limit.
    Everyone knows that they're strapped for cash. Someone had the bright idea of going after the torrenters. From their point of view it makes perfect sense.
    It makes far more sense to charge extra than to throttle the connection - from eircom's point of view of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

This is only next generation if you're still on a 56k dialup modem but that's Eircom - "bringing you yesterday's technology in 5 years time".

Does anyone know why Munster has been completely forgotten about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Whatever about going after very heavy users - 30GB on a 3Mb line is not 'heavy use' in my book.

In this day and age with media-heavy webpages, iTubes, Youtube, OS updates and service packs etc, I would image the average family would go over the 30GB easily enough without any kind of filesharing or heavy downloading.

Me too, downloaded 50Gb so far (didn't do any filesharing this month - thats why it's so low:p), now its saying i havn't downloaded anything:confused:

Seriously is a bummer if they start charging.

Edit: Just noticed they now have the NGB products listed on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Heres the Mutton dressed as Lamb ..http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

in kimmage....still no change for me!..goo on ya eirCON:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

So this is just residential/home users then.

Business customers on 8MB lines are getting scr*wed, no? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It's reset to 0 here as well. I wonder if eircom will be charging for exceeding the cap in exchanges where the NGB upgrades haven't even been applied yet?

This is what I'd like to know as well. I have no problem paying extra for the "Unlimited" product with the 250GB fair usage limit, as this is way over what I usually download anyway. But my current 7mb product is limited at 50GB and I usually hit 80 - 100GB every month, so I certainly don't want to be charged. I just want the peace of mind that I have an actual limit (not the "limitless" limit that was there before), and I'm willing to pay for it.

Yeah and why is Munster completely left out of this NGB project? Sorry do we not know how to use the internet here or something?

• Advertisement

This is what I'd like to know as well. I have no problem paying extra for the "Unlimited" product with the 250GB fair usage limit, as this is way over what I usually download anyway. But my current 7mb product is limited at 50GB and I usually hit 80 - 100GB every month, so I certainly don't want to be charged. I just want the peace of mind that I have an actual limit (not the "limitless" limit that was there before), and I'm willing to pay for it.

Yeah and why is Munster completely left out of this NGB project? Sorry do we not know how to use the internet here or something?
    I was going to post something similar but you said it beautifully. +1 to that brother! So we pay the same as others in the country but for an inferior product and a lower download allowance? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'm on 3Mb business lite, Dublin 13....... 8Mb ME HOLE!! :mad:

765081065.png

My whole estate has UPC barring my road because the fupper on the corner won't let UPC fit a small box on his gable end wall which makes this so called upgrade a bitter pill to swallow :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hell I even texted the Matt Cooper show while the Eircom chairman was on blowholing his crap product.
    Of course no fear that Matt would dare upset one of the main advertisers on Newstalk/TodayFM bar a mild rebuke for people about the main cities.
    It was sickening actually to hear that buffoon lie on the radio about their next gen lol broadband and not be pulled on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Just did this one a minute ago

765143521.png

13640562.png

3MB package. Mar dhea! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jeus christ..actually come of think of it..that's a good sig..combine it with mine and let's see how many people will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I don't know what's going on tonight, worse than usual

765225352.png

This is my 7 Mb package, must be giving all the bandwidth to the NGB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭barry181091

oisin wrote: »
    I don't know what's going on tonight, worse than usual

765225352.png

This is my 7 Mb package, must be giving all the bandwidth to the NGB

Well..duhh..

Their NGB is where they steal your bandwidth and give it to other people :D They dont need to upgrade anything that way
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

This is only next generation if you're still on a 56k dialup modem but that's Eircom - "bringing you yesterday's technology in 5 years time".

Does anyone know why Munster has been completely forgotten about?

Ya that's what I was thinking also because on all the newspaper articles it says it will bring NGB to Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Tralee!

Anyway, have the 'ol fingers crossed for this seeing as I'm living outside of Blarney, which is of course outside of Cork so I'm just praying for once Eircom will do something right!

And just to clarify so everyone stops asking the same questions, The upgrade to 8MB is raising the minimum speed in the NGB areas; so you'll be upgraded whether you like it or not! If your on the 1MB, 3MB and 7MB speeds you will now be put on the Basic (10GB), Regular (30GB) and Advanced (Unlimited) usage limit respectivly. If you exceed your limit you will be charged €2 per GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

765353481.png

13655803.png

^^ my results from a minute ago, i tried them last week and i got a D result but today i got a A results...i guess its cos its late now and last time i tried it during the day?stupid eircom

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Advertisement