Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

This is what I'd like to know as well. I have no problem paying extra for the "Unlimited" product with the 250GB fair usage limit, as this is way over what I usually download anyway. But my current 7mb product is limited at 50GB and I usually hit 80 - 100GB every month, so I certainly don't want to be charged. I just want the peace of mind that I have an actual limit (not the "limitless" limit that was there before), and I'm willing to pay for it.

In the same situation as yourself and agree 100%, 250 GB is acceptable enough for me. At least they actually quote the fair use limit and don't try to conceal it.

765362337.png

13656481.png

765362927.png

13656526.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And just to clarify so everyone stops asking the same questions, The upgrade to 8MB is raising the minimum speed in the NGB areas; so you'll be upgraded whether you like it or not! If your on the 1MB, 3MB and 7MB speeds you will now be put on the Basic (10GB), Regular (30GB) and Advanced (Unlimited) usage limit respectivly. If you exceed your limit you will be charged €2 per GB.

I wonder about the legality of that. Surely Eircom can't just force you onto a completely new type of product and contract?

Also the 1,3,7mb/s products will continue to exist.

I assume Eircom will have to leave it be either opt in or opt out to be legal.

Sponge Bob LOL :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

bk wrote: »
    I wonder about the legality of that. Surely Eircom can't just force you onto a completely new type of product and contract?

To change the terms of any contract you'd need the consent of both parties. If they change you and you don't want to be changed don't let them away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Matt Cooper just replied to my tweet saying that he's asked his production team to get back onto eircom's broadband packages this week..
    Now's a good time for all users having issues to post their crap speeds.
    Or even better yet add it to a sig like I did. The higher profile these issues become the faster Eircom will sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Just did this one a minute ago

765143521.png

3MB package. Mar dhea! :mad:

5 second ping time. Something else is going on there. Are you downloading something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Berkut wrote: »
    Matt Cooper just replied to my tweet saying that he's asked his production team to get back onto eircom's broadband packages this week..
    Now's a good time for all users having issues to post their crap speeds.
    Or even better yet add it to a sig like I did. The higher profile these issues become the faster Eircom will sort it out.

Good stuff! I was listening to that pirate yesterday on Matt Cooper and nearly lost control of the car with rage. Let us know if you find out when they will readdress the issue this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

Meh! I don't really care it's a free line upgrade, and if your a heavy downloader then just pay the €10 extra to get unlimited (it's fairly hard to break the 250GB limit) For once I think eircom have done something right, I couldn't believe it when I found out they won't be charging to upgrade to 8MB.

Meh! I don't really care it's a free line upgrade, and if your a heavy downloader then just pay the €10 extra to get unlimited (it's fairly hard to break the 250GB limit) For once I think eircom have done something right, I couldn't believe it when I found out they won't be charging to upgrade to 8MB.

Why would they charge?
    Eircom are miles behind UPC and by August once UPC goes to 120meg they'll be decades behind.
    It's only a matter of time before the company is dead and buried.
    Years of screwing over Irish customers at ISDN at the expense of broadband have now left it in a perilous position. They can't afford to invest in fibre and yet can't afford not to...so either way they're screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Regarding usage of speedtest.net, could people make sure they use the Galway server for speed tests, hold the mouse pointer over the yellow star until a list appears and choose Galway. The Limerick server does not have enough bandwidth to do a proper speedtest, so a lot of the poor results people are getting are not correct.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But is it, it is only a free upgrade if your line is capable of higher speeds and in Ireland most people aren't.

So if your line can only take 1 to 3mb at the moment, you won't get any benefit, while you maybe forced to pay an extra €15 per month to continue to receive the service you currently have (unlimited downloads, as Eircom don't enforce their current cap).

And even if your line can benefit from the extra speed, you can't use it because of the crappy 10GB and 30GB caps. These caps mean you can only use the full 8mb/s for less then 1% of the month :eek:

The only people who slightly benefit are those already on 7mb/s, they will get a very small bump to 8mb and might benefit slightly from reduced contention.

BTW this still isn't a non contended 1:1 product, their is still contention, it is just being managed on a separate big 155mb/s VLAN, so most people shouldn't see congestion, but it is still possible.

So in fact it is a pretty big price increase for most people with no benefit for them, scandalous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I have a 3 meg home package from eircom, with excellent line stats. Will this upgrade affect me at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

nuxxx wrote: »
    I have a 3 meg home package from eircom, with excellent line stats. Will this upgrade affect me at all?

You'll probably have a package of less that 1Mb soon enough with the upgrade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

flanzer wrote: »
    You'll probably have a package of less that 1Mb soon enough with the upgrade!

what ya mean :eek:

I may read this thread!

douglasman wrote: »
    Regarding usage of speedtest.net, could people make sure they use the Galway server for speed tests, hold the mouse pointer over the yellow star until a list appears and choose Galway. The Limerick server does not have enough bandwidth to do a proper speedtest, so a lot of the poor results people are getting are not correct.

not much difference really..my speed went upto 0.96 (I had tested this already last night). Packet loss is a consistent 24% :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Manchester server:
    765900324.png

:D (not on NGB yet though)

Galway one:
    765908353.png
    :D:D

and pingtest for Galway server:
    13690350.png

Couldnt get one for Manchester for some reason, kept getting A* and B* results

Edit: got one :D
    13690616.png

on the 3 megabit Old Generation Broadband package

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

That'll do pig, that'll do

765917221.png

From eircom's Twitter:
    With the NGB is Customers will experience consistent broadband speeds regardless of what time of day or night they are using the Internet

Nowhere does it say it will be consistently good, they just said the speeds will be consistent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

just wanted to get an opinion from you guys...

I live in the city centre and I was checking out the NGB coverage map where it shows the currently covered and proposed covered areas (in the green and blue)

for some reason there are tiny pockets of the city centre just not coloured at all neither green nor blue... I am in one of those tiny areas (Just off O'Connell street)

I am on the 7mb package and its absolutely DESPICABLE, I get about 1mb a sec the majority of the time, and I have near perfect Line Attenuation 21db and superb SNR about 19db, no crc errors, good ping and 7mb speeds during the middle of the night so its PURELY contention and Eircom's committed attitude to providing a substandard service.

I would welcome the 8mb uncontended speed so I might finally get what I pay for... very angry at Eircom... only went with them as my new Apartment needed to have the phone line newly installed and once they did this I couldn't go with magnet because I was in a 6 month contract with Eircom automatically (No NTL where I live)

just wanted to get opinions does this map not being coloured in, in my pocket of the city centre mean I'm excluded from NGB service?

I'm on the north main exchange.

Heaven forbid they should provide me with a service verging on acceptable.

Thanks for your comments,
    John

johnwoods wrote: »
    just wanted to get an opinion from you guys...

I live in the city centre and I was checking out the NGB coverage map where it shows the currently covered and proposed covered areas (in the green and blue)

for some reason there are tiny pockets of the city centre just not coloured at all neither green nor blue... I am in one of those tiny areas (Just off O'Connell street)

I am on the 7mb package and its absolutely DESPICABLE, I get about 1mb a sec the majority of the time, and I have near perfect Line Attenuation 21db and superb SNR about 19db, no crc errors, good ping and 7mb speeds during the middle of the night so its PURELY contention and Eircom's committed attitude to providing a substandard service.

I would welcome the 8mb uncontended speed so I might finally get what I pay for... very angry at Eircom... only went with them as my new Apartment needed to have the phone line newly installed and once they did this I couldn't go with magnet because I was in a 6 month contract with Eircom automatically (No NTL where I live)

just wanted to get opinions does this map not being coloured in, in my pocket of the city centre mean I'm excluded from NGB service?

I'm on the north main exchange.

Heaven forbid they should provide me with a service verging on acceptable.

Thanks for your comments,
    John

From what ive been seeing you dont want to be on the NGB packages, instead of having 1mb in the day and 7 mb at night youll end up with 1mb all the time (eircoms definition of consistent)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

teddy b123 wrote: »
    From what ive been seeing you dont want to be on the NGB packages, instead of having 1mb in the day and 7 mb at night youll end up with 1mb all the time (eircoms definition of consistent)

Really????

I guess I had naively assumed that the speed provided by those thieves on the NGB uncontended line would be your current maximum,

ie thought i'd get the 680K/sec ALL the time... I'm only an Eircom customer for the last month and I am in disbelief. They have a dismal service, they should be forced to append "in the middle of the night." to their current "Up to 7mb" slogan.

They must be breaking advertising laws, if not technically then surely ethically?!

Like I said in my previous post... I knew their service was terrible and wanted to go with Magnet, but had to have Eircom provide me with a phone line first (due to their monopoly) and at this point I was immediately contracted for 6 Months with Eircom.

To go with Magnet after the line installation I had to either break contract and pay Eircom 6 months line rental for NOTHING, or go with Eircom.... so I went with Eircom. Never Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Technique

I've got the basic 1mb package, but because of the distance from the exchange, my d/l speed is approx 0.4mb. Will my speed automatically increase with the 8mb package, or am I at my limit due to the length of the line?

youll be still on 0.4 im afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

One of the lucky ones here. The speeds are consistently high. The cap is the biggest problem that I have. 30 GB disappears rapidly when downloading games.

13707554.png

766192636.png

The benefits of being about 800 m from the exchange. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Sarn wrote: »
    One of the lucky ones here. The speeds are consistently high. The cap is the biggest problem that I have. 30 GB disappears rapidly when downloading games.

13707554.png

766192636.png

Does that translate in to the same level of throughput?
    i.e when downloading a large file does the same speed apply?

13707554.png

766192636.png

pfft terrible upload speed

what package are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

766192636.png
    You could hit your monthly cap in less than 30 minutes if you tried :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

Apologies if this is the wrong section to ask, but how do I find out what speed of connection my eircom line can support, having issues with the wireless speed or lack thereof.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into one where people post boring speedtest results. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

It may look nice but unfortunately it doesn't achieve those speeds in reality. I haven't tried getting anything from a decent source but it averages about 7 Mb/s which is fine with me. Keeps me away from that cap a little longer.

It shows that those speed tests aren't everything.

It seems I'm on NGB as I was on 3 Mb before this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

But is it, it is only a free upgrade if your line is capable of higher speeds and in Ireland most people aren't.

So if your line can only take 1 to 3mb at the moment, you won't get any benefit, while you maybe forced to pay an extra €15 per month to continue to receive the service you currently have (unlimited downloads, as Eircom don't enforce their current cap).

And even if your line can benefit from the extra speed, you can't use it because of the crappy 10GB and 30GB caps. These caps mean you can only use the full 8mb/s for less then 1% of the month :eek:

The only people who slightly benefit are those already on 7mb/s, they will get a very small bump to 8mb and might benefit slightly from reduced contention.

BTW this still isn't a non contended 1:1 product, their is still contention, it is just being managed on a separate big 155mb/s VLAN, so most people shouldn't see congestion, but it is still possible.

So in fact it is a pretty big price increase for most people with no benefit for them, scandalous.

I'm missing something here .... "no charge to move customers to the NGB products" .... so what's the price increase?

As noted by someone else above, this is an increase for most eircom customers and no busy hour slow-down. Very hard for me to see an issue with this!

Advertisement