Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

johnwoods wrote: »
    Really????

I guess I had naively assumed that the speed provided by those thieves on the NGB uncontended line would be your current maximum,

ie thought i'd get the 680K/sec ALL the time... I'm only an Eircom customer for the last month and I am in disbelief. They have a dismal service, they should be forced to append "in the middle of the night." to their current "Up to 7mb" slogan.

They must be breaking advertising laws, if not technically then surely ethically?!

Like I said in my previous post... I knew their service was terrible and wanted to go with Magnet, but had to have Eircom provide me with a phone line first (due to their monopoly) and at this point I was immediately contracted for 6 Months with Eircom.

To go with Magnet after the line installation I had to either break contract and pay Eircom 6 months line rental for NOTHING, or go with Eircom.... so I went with Eircom. Never Again.

When you go to NGB you'll get your highest achievable speed 'up to' 8Mb .... not your lowest 'consistant' speed

tullie wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong section to ask, but how do I find out what speed of connection my eircom line can support, having issues with the wireless speed or lack thereof.

You should be able to log into your router and it should tell you. Sorry dont know the modem IP address but you should find it somewhere online ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

You should be able to log into your router and it should tell you. Sorry dont know the modem IP address but you should find it somewhere online ...
    It's http://192.168.1.254 but that will only tell him the speed of the eircom package he's currently on.
    It won't tell him the max speed his telephone line can support which might be more or less than that.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It's http://192.168.1.254 but that will only tell him the speed of the eircom package he's currently on.
    It won't tell him the max speed his telephone line can support which might be more or less than that.

Very good point ... mis-read the initial post!!

Tullie, post your dB stats and we might be able to help you ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As noted by someone else above, this is an increase for most eircom customers and no busy hour slow-down. Very hard for me to see an issue with this!

Ok, let's do the maths on this marketing bs, shall we?

Lets say you are currently on only 1mb/s, as this is all your line can take and you are paying €46 per month.

But at least Eircom doesn't currently enforce the cap, so you can effectively download up to 316 GB in one month (at 1mb/s).

Under this new product, you will be moved to "upto" 8mb/s, but since your line is only capable of 1mb, you won't actually get any faster speed.

But now you have a 10GB cap, go over it and your charged €2 extra per GB, up to an extra €50 per month.

Last month if you downloaded 300GB you paid €46
    Next month if you download 300GB you will pay €96

That is an almost a doubling in price.

This is a sneaky and underhand way for Eircom to get more money out of people while dressing it up in marketing BS about getting faster speeds that most people won't benefit from.
    When you go to NGB you'll get your highest achievable speed 'up to' 8Mb .... not your lowest 'consistant' speed

Actually I've read the Eircom wholesale documentation on the new product located here: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/ and it actually doesn't say either way what people will get.

Reading this document it is clear that this is NOT an uncontended 1:1 product, don't kid yourself, Eircom are simply moving peolple around between different VLANs.

Lets make this abundantly clear, Eircom aren't laying a single extra meter of fibre optic cable to achieve this, nor are they installing a single extra DSLAM. Not a single piece of physical Eircom networking gear has changed since last month. They are simply moving people around different VLANs on existing in place fibre, in areas where there was spare capacity available.

As johnwoods mentioned a few posts back, some of the largest exchanges right bang in the middle of Dublin city center like the north main exchange, aren't part of this NGB, which you would normally expect they would.

The reason is the fibre to these exchanges is already at capacity and Eircom will need to spend actual money running new fibre to these exchanges in order to move them to a similar product. But lets be clear Eircom don't want to actually spend any money on this, they just want to launch a new bs marketing campaign and milk more money out of unsuspecting victims.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »

Lets say you are currently on only 1mb/s, as this is all your line can take and you are paying €46 per month.

But at least Eircom doesn't currently enforce the cap, so you can effectively download up to 316 GB in one month (at 1mb/s).

Under this new product, you will be moved to "upto" 8mb/s, but since your line is only capable of 1mb, you won't actually get any faster speed.

But now you have a 10GB cap, go over it and your charged €2 extra per GB, up to an extra €50 per month.

This is a sneaky and underhand way for Eircom to get more money out of people while dressing it up in marketing BS about getting faster speeds that most people won't benefit from.

Actually I've read the Eircom wholesale documentation on the new product located here: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/ and it actually doesn't say either way what people will get.

Reading this document it is clear that this is NOT an uncontended 1:1 product, don't kid yourself, Eircom are simply moving peolple around between different VLANs.

Lets make this abundantly clear, Eircom aren't laying a single extra meter of fibre optic cable to achieve this, nor are they installing a single extra DSLAM. Not a single piece of physical Eircom networking gear has changed since last month. They are simply moving people around different VLANs on existing in place fibre, in areas where there was spare capacity available.

As johnwoods mentioned a few posts back, some of the largest exchanges right bang in the middle of Dublin city center like the north main exchange, aren't part of this NGB, which you would normally expect they would.

The reason is the fibre to these exchanges is already at capacity and Eircom will need to spend actual money running new fibre to these exchanges in order to move them to a similar product. But lets be clear Eircom don't want to actually spend any money on this, they just want to launch a new bs marketing campaign and milk more money out of unsuspecting victims.

bk - Animated :D

I respectfully disagree. To clarify a couple of points ...

[/QUOTE] Last month if you downloaded 300GB you paid €46
    Next month if you download 300GB you will pay €96 [/QUOTE]

The 'usage cap' of €49.99 includes your BB rental ... soooo .... it's a cap of about €24 in additional to your rental on NGB Basic and €20 in addition to your rental on NGB Regular. Confirmed by sales agent (after loooong chat!)

next re moving people around different SVLANs ..... c'mon ... I've read your stuff ... you know this isnt true and would make little difference :)

Have a read of the below ... quite a good summary.... essentially, eircom are achieving an uncongested service by increasing the backhaul in exchanges. Thus the 100million investment as noted in the papers ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055869976

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fie, foh, fum, I smell the blood of an Eircom employee/shill.

No seriously, BaldiePablo hasn't posted on boards.ie in over two years and the last time he posted he was also accused of being an Eircom shill:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54438361&postcount=60

Suddenly he is back with an avalanche of pro Eircom posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

Sarn wrote: »
    One of the lucky ones here. The speeds are consistently high. The cap is the biggest problem that I have. 30 GB disappears rapidly when downloading games.

13707554.png

766192636.png

The benefits of being about 800 m from the exchange. :D

Sorry if i'm just missing something but how do you get that speed from an eircom line? like are you on a 7mb line and just live on the exchange and you somehow get this pure speed as a function of distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Fie, foh, fum, I smell the blood of an Eircom employee/shill.

No seriously, BaldiePablo hasn't posted on boards.ie in over two years and the last time he posted he was also accused of being an Eircom shill:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54438361&postcount=60

Suddenly he is back with an avalanche of pro Eircom posts.

In fairness I got the same info from one of the sales lads a while back about the max cost of 50 euro as I posted :p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BK is not quite right about the per month cost but is on the right track.

1. A 1mbit user busting their cap is liable to be charged UP TO €26 extra a month.

2. A 1mbit user IN A BUNDLE is liable to be charged up to €30 extra a month

Baldie forgot to mention that eircom can only switch 50gbits in their network core which means that they can only concurrently handle 50000 1mbit users uncontended.

Most of their users are on 3mbits or higher, uncontended network my hole :D

• Advertisement

In fairness I got the same info from one of the sales lads a while back about the max cost of 50 euro as I posted :p.

No, that isn't the reason I think he is an Eircom employee, it is my mod spider sense that tells me he is :D

Basically over two year ago he was accused of being an Eircom shill after a similar series of posts and right after the accusation he disappeared for two years from boards.

Then suddenly he is back and in the space of 24 hours posts 12 pro Eircom posts. It just doesn't smell right.

Not that there is anything wrong with an Eircom employee posting here or the employee of any ISP, in fact they are welcome. However if they are going to be posting about their own or competitors products, then it is only fair that they declare who they work for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

No, that isn't the reason I think he is an Eircom employee, it is my mod spider sense that tells me he is :D

Basically over two year ago he was accused of being an Eircom shill after a similar series of posts and right after the accusation he disappeared for two years from boards.

Then suddenly he is back and in the space of 24 hours posts 12 pro Eircom posts. It just doesn't smell right.

Not that there is anything wrong with an Eircom employee posting here or the employee of any ISP, in fact they are welcome. However if they are going to be posting about their own or competitors products, then it is only fair that they declare who they work for.

Couldn't it be used to our benefit?
    Get him/her to be recognised as an official rep and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rabitec

HI John,

I am an eircom employee. Please see below a few comments in relation to your message:
    just wanted to get an opinion from you guys...

I live in the city centre and I was checking out the NGB coverage map where it shows the currently covered and proposed covered areas (in the green and blue)

for some reason there are tiny pockets of the city centre just not coloured at all neither green nor blue... I am in one of those tiny areas (Just off O'Connell street)

Well spotted! Do you leave west of O'Connell Street? If so, I apologize there is an error in the coverage map. The entire Smithfield area should appear as blue, meaning that the whole area is connected to an exchange that will be NGB enabled by august (please note the edit).

The map will be corrected ASAP. Apologies again for the confusion.

I am on the 7mb package and its absolutely DESPICABLE, I get about 1mb a sec the majority of the time, and I have near perfect Line Attenuation 21db and superb SNR about 19db, no crc errors, good ping and 7mb speeds during the middle of the night so its PURELY contention and Eircom's committed attitude to providing a substandard service.

John

Your line will be migrated to NGB. As you currently have a 7Mb package, you will be migrated to "NGB advanced", i.e. 8Mbit/s downlink, 512Kbit/s uplink and unlimited usage allowance (with a 250Gb per month fair usage policy)

You can insert your telephone number and your account number on the www.ngb.ie website (in the same section where the coverage map is showed) to check when/if your line will/has been migrated to the new service.

Based on the attenuation numbers you have reported in your message, I'm also confident that your ADSL modem should sync at the full speed, (i.e. 8Mbit/s down and 512Kbit/s up).

Just to be 100% clear, this (8Mbit/s minus ATM overhead) is the speed that you will consistently get, day and night.

We have just deployed a new speedtest tool on our website (www.eircom.net/speedtest). This speed test app is provided by Ookla (www.ookla.com) , i.e. the company that provides the www.speedtest.net and www.pingtest.net services. We hope this demonstrates that we want to be as transparent as possibile with you.

Finally, do feel free to contact my colleagues in eircomconnect: they will be happy to assist you with any further query you may have. I am also happy to reply to messages here, but please bear in mind that looking after boards.ie messages is not my full time job so I may be late in addressing your queries.

Best regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Hi Pietro,

Thanks very much for coming out, as it were. Quick question, why is the upload speed only 512k? Shouldn't adsl give 1meg up if it was uncapped. OR to put it another way, was this a technical decision or a marketing decision?

Thanks

Hi Pietro,

Welcome to boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rabitec

Bk, et al.,

some of your statements are incorrect, see below:

This is not correct. There is a cap in place, see below:

The maximum you will be charged for your NGB (inc. excess usage) is €49.99. If you have NGB in a bundle then the maximum you will pay for your bundle (including NGB & excess usage) is as follows:
    • NGB Basic & talktime chatter: Normal Price = €46.79; max price incl. excess usage = €70.79
    • NGB Basic & talktime talker: Normal Price = €51.78; max price incl. excess usage = €75.78
    • NGB Regular & talktime chatter: Normal Price = €51.78; max price incl. excess usage = €71.78
    • NGB Regular & talktime talker: Normal Price = €56.75; max price incl. excess usage = €76.75

I am sorry if this is not clear from the product documentation, I will make sure this is highlighted.

This is also not correct. NGB is being launched in those exchanges where we have actually deployed additional equipment. Our CTO commented on Monday on this (as reported by the press) and said that approximately €100million has been spent in Layer 2 and Layer 3 equipment for this to happen and backhaul capacity has been increased as a consequence.

You can check this with OAOs: as you noted, eircom has launched a wholesale product that OAOs can avail of. This uses the same NEW infrastructure to provide a better service to their own customers.

As I said in the other post, I apologise for the mistake with the Smithfield area. North Main will be an NGB enabled exchange by August. Most of the Dublin exchanges are also being upgraded, as you can see yourself from the coverage map on www.ngb.ie

Based on my comments I hope you agree with me that this statement is also incorrect.

Best regards

PS: yes, I am an eircom employee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 justatechy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Baldie forgot to mention that eircom can only switch 50gbits in their network core which means that they can only concurrently handle 50000 1mbit users uncontended.

Most of their users are on 3mbits or higher, uncontended network my hole :D

Disclosure: I'm a networking professional currently employed by eircom.

The above is rather disingenuous. What do you think the likelihood is of all users using all of their bandwidth simultaneously? No ISP in the world dimensions their core network by a rule like that. They would go bust in weeks (if they could get investment for such a ridiculous scheme in the first place). This is equivalent to saying Dublin bus should have a seat available for every potential commuter in Dublin, every day, all the time. Do you want buses parked bumper to bumper on every street in the city 24x7? Or that ESB should provide enough power for all cosumers to run all their appliances, every day, all the time. How would you fancy a nuclear power station in every county? There are many similar examples all as silly as each other.

All ISPs capacity manage their core networks to cope with peak demand. This demand is usually very predictable and very consistent, and can be forecast for up to a number of years in advance with reasonable accuracy. The bigger the ISP and larger the customer base, the more consistent and predictable the traffic on the core network.

ISPs make decisions on core capacity based on average bandwidth per user, plus overhead for growth, plus overhead for peak demands, plus overhead for resilience. Depending on the network design and the ISP this will usually lead to somewhere between 40-70% peak link utilisation. Some taxpayer funded networks may run at lower utilisation but commercial ISPs need to make money from their investments...

While there are potential events that can lead to unusual sudden traffic levels (e.g. big news event, critical windows patch, virus/worm etc. ), these spikes are generally surprisingly small in relation to the total core network capacity and congestion if any often takes place at the source of the unusual traffic rather than in the ISP core.

That's not to say there are never issues with congestion in an ISP core. But they are rare and tend to be as a result of unusual outages / failures or (very occasionally) delays in upgrading links. They are much, much less likely to cause a customer impact than congestion at the access layer.
    It is this access layer congestion that the new NGB products are addressing. Believe me (or not, if you desire)... this is where you want improvement in capacity. This is also the layer that costs the most money (orders of magnitude more than the core) so it is not a cheap option to gain popularity. It is an expensive option, to deliver real improvements to real life DSL performance.

I've been on the 8Mb/s uncontended* service on trial for a couple of months and it has made a noticeable difference to my usage. If I get a popup for a large OS patch at 8pm I simply click it and continue working with little impact on browsing, VPN or other downloads. In the past I would wait and run it the following morning as doing so at evening peak would kill the connection for anything else for 30 mins due to contention.

Whether the caps are fair or not is subjective. I would point out that most users are not power users who max out their connections daily. If the caps prove too low or too expensive for a significant number of customers, they will vote with their feet and eircom will need to react to that.

All I am saying is that I believe the NGB product will make a real and noticeable improvement to broadband performance for a majority of users. I'm surprised at the amount of negativity towards it and would recommend people wait for their upgrade and see how they find it.

this was going to be a short post...

*To be correct: "managed contention" - but the experience for customers if if it managed effectively should be "uncontended"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah but, the availability nationwide is rubbish.

Theres a lot of people with slow internet connections in the country too, you know. I have to bear with the shyte everyday, off peak and on peak. It's truly horrendous, but I have to bear with it. No matter which ISP I switch to, it'll most likely come to the same conclusion.

If you really think that this so-called 'NGB' is the way to go, you should roll the damn thing out nationwide, instead of the large suburbs, the average connection is far higher than the rural areas, as is the contention ratio on the higher speed packages.

From the site, most areas have no plan for this 'NGB', which just leaves a lot of customers lurking in the past, having to deal with slow connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

So how does this €2 per GB work for us non NGB customers (the ones that are deep in the white patches of Munster)
    will we get charged €2 Per GB for all excess usage?
    will we get charged €2 Per GB to a max combined broadband bill of €49.99
    or
    are we going to be charged at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Cherryghost,

In terms of NGB i didnt find a place on the site that says "Its only going to be in major parts, now sod off"

It does say for me here in wicklow that, at this point its not available but eircom may expand in the future (presumably when the correct links are upgraded downstream).

Just as justatechy states, running an infrastructure of scale and capacity like Eircom's takes carefull planning; Just like is stated this sort of stuff costs a whole heap to upgrade, you will naturally see major area's benefit first because the density of customers is much much more. Im sure if Mr. Lenehan handed Eircom a few Billion that NGB would have a huge coverge rate (98%++).

The thing is, its all fine saying "Yeh roll out this sucker out in the morning" and genuinely i think eircom or any ISP would be like "Hell Yeah" but there is a reality and that is cost and this isnt normally concidered. Eircom is a business afterall, im sure AnPost would love the fastest, highest capacity vans for everywhere + replaces their fleet the week a new Van comes out, in this case vans are retired in a phased basis and replaced with new ones.

oh :) so i dont get accused:

These comments are my own and do not represent that of my employer (HP)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

justatechy wrote: »
    I would point out that most users are not power users who max out their connections daily.

I wonder how many of these 'non power users' or non-techy users are still using the default WEP key on their Eircom-supplied router?

I know that personally, no matter where I am in the city, I can always see at least a couple of tell-tale 'Netopia xxxx xxxx' SSIDs nearby, using the default WEP key. These users are going to be targets for nearby bandwidth hogs (looking to avoid going over their own cap), especially if all of a sudden they are upgraded to nice fast 8Mb connections.

I would not be at all surprised if Eircom receives a significant number of complaints from non-power users wondering why on earth their bill has gone up €25 or €30 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If they didn't have the capacity they shouldnt have sold all those 7 meg packages.
    I'd take my consistent 3 meg package over this rubbish any day. If eircom had any competition they would never have allowed it to get this bad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cryos wrote: »
    Cherryghost,

In terms of NGB i didnt find a place on the site that says "Its only going to be in major parts, now sod off"

It does say for me here in wicklow that, at this point its not available but eircom may expand in the future (presumably when the correct links are upgraded downstream).

Just as justatechy states, running an infrastructure of scale and capacity like Eircom's takes carefull planning; Just like is stated this sort of stuff costs a whole heap to upgrade, you will naturally see major area's benefit first because the density of customers is much much more. Im sure if Mr. Lenehan handed Eircom a few Billion that NGB would have a huge coverge rate (98%++).

The thing is, its all fine saying "Yeh roll out this sucker out in the morning" and genuinely i think eircom or any ISP would be like "Hell Yeah" but there is a reality and that is cost and this isnt normally concidered. Eircom is a business afterall, im sure AnPost would love the fastest, highest capacity vans for everywhere + replaces their fleet the week a new Van comes out, in this case vans are retired in a phased basis and replaced with new ones.

oh :) so i dont get accused:

These comments are my own and do not represent that of my employer (HP)

Mate theres 2 colours, one for implemented and one for plans by August. Most of the country has neither. I rang eircom earlier and they said my exchange isnt even being considered for this. Not now, not in the future either. So yeah, make that whatever way you want.

Mate theres 2 colours, one for implemented and one for plans by August. Most of the country has neither. I rang eircom earlier and they said my exchange isnt even being considered for this. Not now, not in the future either. So yeah, make that whatever way you want.

It does not state that it wont be done in the future. Yes there is two colours, these are for one's that are imidiately planned and known about that can be published Today.

Im very sure that back in 2003 eircom service desk / sales would of told you the same thing about your Exchange, yet here in 2010 you have a broadband service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

yet here in 2010 you have a broadband service.

That's debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

yeah only 7 years from no broadband to broadband :P
    so we can expect to see the NGB rolled out to the whole country in hmm lets see, 2017?

Cryos wrote: »
    Im very sure that back in 2003 eircom service desk / sales would of told you the same thing about your Exchange, yet here in 2010 you have a broadband service.

lulz. I still find it unacceptable that they cannot give any sort of timeframe to sort the issue.

That's debatable.

Well :) lets not go down that path.
    teddy b123 wrote: »
    yeah only 7 years from no broadband to broadband :P
    so we can expect to see the NGB rolled out to the whole country in hmm lets see, 2017?

;) thats under the presumption that cherryghost got broadband in the last 4 months :)
    lulz. I still find it unacceptable that they cannot give any sort of timeframe to sort the issue.

Are you refering to your own issue or the NGB rollout ?

If they didn't have the capacity they shouldnt have sold all those 7 meg packages.
    I'd take my consistent 3 meg package over this rubbish any day. If eircom had any competition they would never have allowed it to get this bad.

I had the same problem, i called up and im fixed at 3mb now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

Reading this thread with interest . One thing I have to say to any posts in support of Eircom is - the Boards.ie Broadband forum is largely populated by a large crew of anti-Eircom types and your arguments ,however merited,will fall on deaf ears . Boards could just change this forum to the anti-Eircom forum to make its title more accurate .

Advertisement