Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

FINGAL FAN wrote: »
    Reading this thread with interest . One thing I have to say to any posts in support of Eircom is - the Boards.ie Broadband forum is largely populated by a large crew of anti-Eircom types and your arguments ,however merited,will fall on deaf ears . Boards could just change this forum to the anti-Eircom forum to make its title more accurate .

Eircom can only be described as rubbish if your any bit out side of Dublin there's no competition for fixed line broadband, and they feel free to charge you what they want. When we were looking for broadband first we had to argue with Eircom nearly all the time and in the end out of desperation to finally get some sort of broadband, We used a connection in Eircom who took it upon himself to supply broadband to the area! We have one of the most expensive line rental, for some very slow advertised speeds and even slower real speeds in the developed world. Eircom is just scamming everyone outside of Dublin as they have a monopoly on fixed line broadband!

Also can I ask why Eircom will be upgrading the minor towns in Leinster/Connaught but won't even cover Cork, the second biggest city or Limerick or any other major towns in Munster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    That only tells him what speed he's getting.
    To tell the state of Your line You're gonna have to look at Your line stats on your router. Login on 192.168.1.254, enter expert mode and the stats will be under dsl statistics. Post them here or check by putting them in this link
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx
    ...... | Downstream | Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) | 3072 |384
    SN Margin (dB) | 25.00 |9.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) | 40.00 |24.00
    CRC Errors | 621 |0

Currently on the up to 3mb, looks like thats where I am going to stay. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eircom can only be described as rubbish if your any bit out side of Dublin there's no competition for fixed line broadband, and they feel free to charge you what they want. When we were looking for broadband first we had to argue with Eircom nearly all the time and in the end out of desperation to finally get some sort of broadband, We used a connection in Eircom who took it upon himself to supply broadband to the area! We have one of the most expensive line rental, for some very slow advertised speeds and even slower real speeds in the developed world. Eircom is just scamming everyone outside of Dublin as they have a monopoly on fixed line broadband!

Well that's not quite true, the issue is more one of if you are outside a large urban area. There is widespread cable broadband in Cork and I would assume Limerick and Galway etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

I'd just like to ask one of the Eircom employees on here:

I'm on the 3mb Eircom Package (€51.78 per month as standard IIRC) and my area isn't going to be upgraded to NGB until August at least according to your Coverage Map. Where do I stand in relation to the Usage Cap? I'll almost certainly be going over the limit each month due to there being a number of heavy Internet users in the household, so can I now expect to be paying €101.78 per month?

Thanks.

Hi ... (for the record, I am an eircom employee!!!)

To clarify some questions raised on this forum (and specifically your question above)Currently, eircom reserve the right to charge for excess usage on the standard 1Mb, 3Mb and 7Mb product set. As things currently stand, there are no excess usage charges applied to these products but this may be subject to change at a later date. For now, excess usage is only applied to the NGB products as the key differentiator on these products is usage.

With specific reference to your question:
    The excess usage cap is applied on this particular equivelant NGB package (I am assuming you are on talktime chatter) at €20 so in your case the most you could expect to pay including excess usage charges would be €71.78 (note, only after you are on an NGB product) on your current package and not €101.78. There seems to have been confusion that the €49.99 cap was excess usage only. This is not the case. This also includes the broadband rental.
    If you are going to regularly exceed the cap then it might be cheaper for you each month to move to the NGB Advanced package (after you move to NGB). To assist in understanding the excess usage charges and how this may affect customers we have updated the FAQs on www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie (select FAQs and it’s number 21) … I hope this helps!!

To answer another question raised earlier in this thread
    "Can customers opt to stay on the existing 1,3,7mb/s rather than being upgraded to these new products?"

The NGB products are now eircom’s flagship Broadband product set and we will be moving all eligible customers over to these new products as exchanges become NGB enabled. These migrations will initially take a couple of months before all customers in NGB exchanges are moved as there is a large volume to move. Once the migrations have caught up with exchange upgrades, customers can expect to be migrated within a couple of weeks of their exchange being upgraded. One point to note, eircom have not yet begun to migrate customers onto these NGB products. This will begin over the coming weeks. Given the above, the standard 1Mb, 3Mb and 7Mb products will no longer be available in NGB exchanges and customers will not have the option to revert or opt to remain on these products.

I hope this is of some help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

Hi Bruno2010

I wonder could you answer a question for me?

If existing Eircom customers don't want the new services being offered and the old ones are no longer going to be offered, does their contract with Eircom still apply?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Hi ... (for the record, I am an eircom employee!!!)One point to note, eircom have not yet begun to migrate customers onto these NGB products. This will begin over the coming weeks. Given the above, the standard 1Mb, 3Mb and 7Mb products will no longer be available in NGB exchanges and customers will not have the option to revert or opt to remain on these products.

I hope this is of some help...

Thanks Bruno. I would like to say on behalf of all of us that all the recent eircom gang have been as pleasant and courteous as all the other eircom employees who have graced this forum over the years ...not always identifying themselves but known to the regulars in many cases.

It was never less than a pleasure to have eg Gombín posting here over the years even if they did have to be circumspect. The mods on the forum were equally understanding of their position and never allowed them to be subjected to any unwarranted abuse ...just so ye know.

I did clearly say that the excess charges were capped net of the current nominal price of the BB component in ones current bill ( inc vat) but not net of voice calls and line rental.

However I would strongly commend to eircom that a special DSLAM profile be created for each of the 1mbit and 3mbit current customers which will allow those customers to continue paying what they pay now and not go into payment shock when these new bills arrive.

eircom is technically well able to dimension and provision such a product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Mr.S wrote: »
    Does everyone get the upgrade to 8mb? I'm still stuck on

3072/384 (kbps)

In Dublin 6.

everyone gets the upgrade but your line must be able to support the new speeds. Very few lines (specially in rural areas) will support the new speeds due to a number of technical factors not least of which is line length.
    If you post your line stats somebody will be able to tell you what your line will support.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Ah.

Line Attenuation
    14/10 dB

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 19.83 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 14.17 10.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Is that good or bad?!

That's a pretty good line and you should get the full 8 on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Currently, eircom reserve the right to charge for excess usage on the standard 1Mb, 3Mb and 7Mb product set. As things currently stand, there are no excess usage charges applied to these products but this may be subject to change at a later date. For now, excess usage is only applied to the NGB products as the key differentiator on these products is usage.

Is this posted anywhere on eircom's site?
    It's not that I don't believe you but at the same time anyone can sign up to boards and claim to speak in an official capacity.
    Also there's the factor of today's date which makes one more skeptical than usual about anything posted on the web today :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Hi ... (for the record, I am an eircom employee!!!)

To clarify some questions raised on this forum (and specifically your question above)Currently, eircom reserve the right to charge for excess usage on the standard 1Mb, 3Mb and 7Mb product set. As things currently stand, there are no excess usage charges applied to these products but this may be subject to change at a later date. For now, excess usage is only applied to the NGB products as the key differentiator on these products is usage.

With specific reference to your question:
    The excess usage cap is applied on this particular equivelant NGB package (I am assuming you are on talktime chatter) at €20 so in your case the most you could expect to pay including excess usage charges would be €71.78 (note, only after you are on an NGB product) on your current package and not €101.78. There seems to have been confusion that the €49.99 cap was excess usage only. This is not the case. This also includes the broadband rental.
    If you are going to regularly exceed the cap then it might be cheaper for you each month to move to the NGB Advanced package (after you move to NGB). To assist in understanding the excess usage charges and how this may affect customers we have updated the FAQs on www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie (select FAQs and it’s number 21) … I hope this helps!!

Thanks very much Bruno, I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond in detail.

Cheers mate.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Is this posted anywhere on eircom's site?
    It's not that I don't believe you but at the same time anyone can sign up to boards and claim to speak in an official capacity.
    Also there's the factor of today's date which makes one more skeptical than usual about anything posted on the web today :).

Hi DeepBlue,

I do see your point. I joined today as I was reviewing the posts and felt I could assist with many of your queries and issues by joining the forum (and some already posting colleagues!). I can assure you I'm with eircom :)

The FAQs have been updated from today to further explain the excess usage caps and will be updated further next week to ensure everyone is fully aware of our new NGB product set and it's features etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

...... | Downstream | Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) | 3072 |384
    SN Margin (dB) | 25.00 |9.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) | 40.00 |24.00
    CRC Errors | 621 |0

Currently on the up to 3mb, looks like thats where I am going to stay. :(

Should have no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Liquidus

Is the Business Plus and Business Starter non NGB packages affected? They were unlimited allowance, are they now subject to fair usage policy?

Should have no problem
    A bit of a networking noob question, but how can you tell.
    What info from the stats I posted implies my line is capable of 8mb/s.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

The secret is in the line attenuation figure.

margin, mainly

Thanks in advance.

You can also use this site

Thanks for the help guys, feeling a bit more assured now.
    Now it's just down to how long it will take for eircom to roll this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Your one of the lucky ones. Im on the fastest mine is ever going to be :

Your maximum line connection speed using an ADSL (up to 8Mbps) service is: 3072Kbps
    If your service provider uses ADSL2+ the maximum line speed likely is: 3531Kbps

:( based off:

Down up
    DSL Noise Margin: 7.4 dB 13.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation: 56.0 dB 31.5 dB
    DSL Transmit Power: 18.3 dBm 2.1 dBm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Given the above, the standard 1Mb, 3Mb and 7Mb products will no longer be available in NGB exchanges and customers will not have the option to revert or opt to remain on these products.

They will also have the added option of cancelling their contract with Eircom. I'll say it again people if don't want this 'upgrade' cancel the contract. If they feel they can tear up the old contract then there's no reason you should be bound by a new one.

Liquidus wrote: »
    Is the Business Plus and Business Starter non NGB packages affected? They were unlimited allowance, are they now subject to fair usage policy?

Hi Liquidus,The Business Plus and Business Starter non NGB products are not currently affected by the roll out of NGB

I knew that this new 'packaging' of old technology was gonna cause havoc with those on low bandwith bundles but this is unconscionable :(

eircom have a nominal price for BB as part of a bundle and the excess charges kick in in Dublin if you exceed the caps associated with these nominal prices.

In Dublin most eircom customers are now in a bundle of 3mbit, typically. but many are in 1mbit bundles. These guys are all in for a nasty shock!!!

Thank feck this expensive old NGB crap is being tried out in Dublin first biggrin.gif

They are as follows.

1. 1mbit costs as little as €8.97 and you can be surcharged up to €41.02 in a month or 460%.
    2. 3mbit costs as little as €13.94 and you can be surcharged up to €36.05 in a month or 260%
    3. 7mbit costs as little as €23.90 and you can be surcharged up to €26.09 in a month or 110%

All surcharges calculated from eircoms new packages clearly detailed here.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/

The max charge for the BB component of a bubndle in any given month is €49.99 but then again some are only paying less than €9 for it right now, or that is what they think anyway :confused:

Probably not for Me then, no?

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 24.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 48.00 27.50
    CRC Errors 13952 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

You can also use this site
    That site tells me I can expect a speed of 8128 Kbps when I enter my stats.

|Downstream|Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)|3072|384
    SN Margin (dB)|22.40|18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)|42.50|26.00
    CRC Errors|114|463

I'm surprised. How reliable is that site? I'm at least 3 miles from the exchange.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    That site tells me I can expect a speed of 8128 Kbps when I enter my stats.

|Downstream|Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)|3072|384
    SN Margin (dB)|22.40|18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)|42.50|26.00
    CRC Errors|114|463

I'm surprised. How reliable is that site? I'm at least 3 miles from the exchange.

Your line is fine and the site is reliable, but its a maths calculation based on the figures the router gave You at that time, doesn't allow for realworld variables, Your SNR will vary throughout the day.

So can anyone tell me if I'll be able to get NGB speeds?

You will be able to get eircom Next Generation 2mbits which is the exact same as eircom Last Generation 2mbits. Next Generation 2mbits sounds nicer don't you think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

is the ping time going to get messed up with this, the 7mb has long times so will 8 be worse or is this next gen part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I'm 18 and would start listing everything that is ****ed up in Ireland but it would only turn into a huge rant.

I'm lucky enough that my dad can afford to bring us to Austria a few times a year. Among everything else (facilities, efficiency, etc.) most people we have met (which is a lot over the years) have a completely different attitude towards everything compared to the Irish.

We have been having huge problems with our phoneline. Something that surprised me is how prompt Smart Telecom were. Their local technician came out within a few days. He seemed to try everything he could but in the end the only thing he could recommend was going back to eircom (something he claims to never have had to do before) [an eircom engineer had been out].

eircom have been pathetic as usual (my brother, a former employee, can attest to that). It has been months and we are finally being connected in one and a half weeks. I'm sure it will be a few more months before our problem is fixed if at all. We will surely need a new line put in.

We had no plans to move away from eircom once our problem was fixed (even though we would start paying about €7 extra a month: it's not a lot to my dad) but now that has completely changed. As soon as we are sure the problem is fixed and our contract is up (I hope this move voids it) we will be changing to another provider.

Advertisement