Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Has anyone been moved to the 8mb line yet? and if so what do they think?
    http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/ claims that 8mg ngb is already up in my area but I havn't been migrated.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Creel

I signed up for NGB the evening it came out. I was on an 3mb bundle for €51 - got the €61 bundle with the 250gb FUP (Advanced). Did it because of the cap. It's my da's line, but I pay for the broadband. I usually download between 75gb-150gb per month on a 30gb cap. So it was an extra €10 a month not to have to worry about the cap (couldn't move provider because he hates UPC).

Anyway, after a couple of days it went through. The speed went up to 5mb. Where it had said 'Download Allowance' on the stats page is now blank.Don't know if that's it though. When I was on 3mb and typed my line stats into 212.23.23.177 it always said 5 1/2 was about the highest on ADSL. So I expected 5 or 6mb would be the limit. Now though it says the limit would be 8mb. So my question is, does anyone know if this is an interim speed? Will it go up again? Or have eircom maybe set it a stable speed? Here are my stats (ping times have doubled, though I don't game so it's not an issue):

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 5120 kbps 512 kbps
    Line Attenuation 42.0 db 21.0 db
    Noise Margin 15.0 db 26.0 db

771947223.png

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

Creel wrote: »
    (couldn't move provider because he hates UPC).

Oh I know that feeling :p. One of their engineers wanted to put a cable down in our garden and refused to take one out which was supposed to be temporarary, an argument ensued and of course there's a grudge against them in our household now, rightly so I suppose (even though the technicians are 3rd party), but they're obviously far superior to Eircom performance-wise.
    Creel wrote: »
    771947223.png

That worries me. At this hour of the morning I'm downloading full-whack on the 7mb package no problem and obviously I'll be 'upgraded' (using that term very loosely at the moment) soon so I don't like the look of the NGB speed you have there on 'advanced' (gotta love the NGB terminology) which I'll be ending up with.

771968230.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Why are they calling this Next Generation Broadband? Its the same ADSL1 broadband they have had since 2001. bit of a joke really. Upgrading everyone in Ireland to ADSL2+ 12Meg is a bit more realistic and a higher chance people will see slightly higher speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Selfish interest here, but what happens with the amber lines?? Eircom have simply fixed other packages at a maximum speed if the line seemed unlikely to take any more. Like what happened when the upgrades to 7.6mbps went through.

I have an amber line, as do my neighbours. But one of the neighbours had the 3mbps package ordered off eircom and still received a fixed 1024/128.

My parents line is on 1024/128 as it should be. Now eircom have told me that the line is 6.5km long and tested at 78dB attenuation, yet I get a stable 1024 with 53dB attenuation and a signal margin of 16dB! The modem is currently reporting a crazy 31 dB signal margin on the upstream, even though the attenuation is 31.5dB*!

If I put those stats into a calculator or else using my experience, I should manage about 2mbps or a bit above! Yet the line is 4 miles long, so how is this possible?

*I believe the modem is unable to report >63.5 downstream or >31.5 upstream when using ADSL1 connections. It's a netopia 2247.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

Look at this rubbish speed, I'm supposed to have a 1MB speed!

773380066.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I am on 3mb with 30gb limit in Drogheda. From our latest bill it seems I'm paying around 36euro for broadband, would this be correct? I probably I'm over the 30gb limit so that might explain the why 36 rather than 29.99.

My question would it be worthwhile to upgrade to the 7mb & 50gb limit package now? Or should I just wait till the NGB is brought out to Drogheda?

We're on the eircom talktime family 2010 & Broadband Home Plus package.

Here is my speed below.

773447549.png

My pings are around

14190041.png

I game alot online on my PS3 so would a larger speed help? Although I don't have much of a problem online at the moment. However I game wirelessly, so my speeds and pings are slightly lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

can anyone confirm that latency is going to increase using this fantastic new technology Eircom is offering its loyal customer base.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im gonna take a good guess and I'll imagine that those of us who managed to get our pings reduced will end up with high 'default' latency once again when we get moved to the NGN packages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Lots of places added to the due by august list.Cobh missed out again stuck with my 3mb:mad:

http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bruno, can you get to this matter this week, ta.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I knew that this new 'packaging' of old technology was gonna cause havoc with those on low bandwith bundles but this is unconscionable :(

eircom have a nominal price for BB as part of a bundle and the excess charges kick in in Dublin if you exceed the caps associated with these nominal prices.

In Dublin most eircom customers are now in a bundle of 3mbit, typically. but many are in 1mbit bundles. These guys are all in for a nasty shock!!!

Thank feck this expensive old NGB crap is being tried out in Dublin first biggrin.gif

They are as follows.

1. 1mbit costs as little as €8.97 and you can be surcharged up to €41.02 in a month or 460%.
    2. 3mbit costs as little as €13.94 and you can be surcharged up to €36.05 in a month or 260%
    3. 7mbit costs as little as €23.90 and you can be surcharged up to €26.09 in a month or 110%

All surcharges calculated from eircoms new packages clearly detailed here.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/

The max charge for the BB component of a bundle in any given month is €49.99 but then again some are only paying less than €9 for it right now, or that is what they think anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

dave1982 wrote: »
    Lots of places added to the due by august list.Cobh missed out again stuck with my 3mb:mad:

http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

Where on their website did you see the 'due by August'? I couldn't find any times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Bruno, can you get to this matter this week, ta.

Hi Spongebob,

Just to clarify .... the €49.99 price point includes the monthly broadband rental. As such, the max excess usage is as follows: (extract from FAQs)

"The maximum you will be charged for your NGB (including excess usage & Broadband rental) is €49.99.

You will be charged €2 inc Vat per GB used above your allowance to a total of €49.99 for your Broadband package (including your Broadband rental).

If you are on the ‘NGB Basic’ package at €24.99, the maximum you will pay for excess usage is €24.00.

If you are on the ‘NGB Regular’ package at €29.99, the maximum you will pay for excess usage is €20.00

If you are in a bundle, usage charging caps will be applied as follows:

NGB Basic & talktime chatter: Normal bundle price is €46.79. Max price including excess usage is €70.79

NGB Basic & talktime talker: Normal bundle price is €51.78. Max price including excess usage is €75.78

NGB Regular & talktime chatter: Normal bundle price is €51.78. Max price including excess usage is €71.78

NGB Regular & talktime talker: Normal bundle price is €56.75. Max price including excess usage is €76.75

It is recommended that you download the Broadband Usage Meter to help you manage your usage. The usage meter will notify you when you are approaching your usage allowance threshold."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Bruno2010 wrote: »

It is recommended that you download the Broadband Usage Meter to help you manage your usage. The usage meter will notify you when you are approaching your usage allowance threshold."

Which only works under windows so not a lot of use really...specially on iphone or linux. Is a web based meter available?

Condi wrote: »

Guys,

As per your question ... the eircom Broadband Usage Meter only works on NGB broadband accounts. If you are on an NGB product then you'll be able to track your usage this way. This is built on .Net Framework and as such is a Windows based tool. If you are using a different OS I would suggest using the Broadband Stats site (www.eircom.net/broadbandstats)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Guys,

As per your question ... the eircom Broadband Usage Meter only works on NGB broadband accounts. If you are on an NGB product then you'll be able to track your usage this way. This is built on .Net Framework and as such is a Windows based tool. If you are using a different OS I would suggest using the Broadband Stats site (www.eircom.net/broadbandstats)

But Bruno, every eircom Netopia Router is preconfigured to contact "https://nbbs.eircom.ie:443" which is your own TR-069 ACS server.

Is it entirely beyond eircom to allow a customer to control their usage by setting periodic router throttles on request via the bandwidth monitoring client and the TR-069 ACS to their own Netopia ...and to unset too ???

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

I'm being migrated from the 7 Mb package to the NGB Advanced on the 17/04/2010.

When I spoke to eircom last night they said each of the packages are up to 8Mb, depending on line quality.

However today the said if I opt for the NGB Regular package not only will the download usage be capped (30Mb) but the download speed will be capped to 3Mb?!

I'm being migrated from the 7 Mb package to the NGB Advanced on the 17/04/2010.

When I spoke to eircom last night they said each of the packages are up to 8Mb, depending on line quality.

However today the said if I opt for the NGB Regular package not only will the download usage be capped (30Mb) but the download speed will be capped to 3Mb?!

Hi ... answered in other topic for you .. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055867198&page=5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Somebody asked in a previous post about amber lines but I did not see a reply.

I phoned Eircom and was advised I have an amber line that can only manage 1mb now but in the next 6-8 weeks the NGB will be available on my line.
    If this is over the same line how can there be such an improvement ?
    Can anyone advise any details on amber line improvement when on NGB?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

manufan16 wrote: »

I phoned Eircom and was advised I have an amber line that can only manage 1mb now but in the next 6-8 weeks the NGB will be available on my line.

thanks
    +1

I'm on an amber line but I have a signal margin of 16/20 on my home DSL line. Room for a speed upgrade there methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

hope it never comes to my area!

Im at least 3k from exchange, and get this ALL the time! No matter what time i test at.

795410013.png

I tried them all, bt, imagine, and UTV internet. Eircom, well the best for me.

I get ping times from 25 to 40ms, on gaming servers ALL the time.

my it NEVER come here! Im on the 7 meg package.

And i download anything from 50gigs, to 150 gigs some months. note: I use my own download/upload tracker software. Im afraid to use eircom's, incase they find out!

m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

dont worry they will seek you out!! good luck long may it continue, they are mighty ping speeds.

gb---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I rang Eircom 1901 last night to complain about a fault on the line for a friend - After being advised to do so by Eircom "Technical Support".

So this chap answers;

Me"Hello"
    "....."
    Me"Hello"
    "Yes"
    Me"I was advised to ring about a fault by your Technical Support team. The line number is x x x x x x x x"
    "Your not an Eircom Customer"
    Me"Sorry? There is Eircom Broadband and phone service here. I have Years worth of bills sitting in front of me, the latest one being March"
    "System says your not an Eircom Customer"

dringgggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Hung up on me just like that - talking absolute and utter rubbish, should have got his name, it reminded me on the "Computer says No" sketch on little britian:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

So this was there big NGN announcement? they never fail to amuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

manufan16 wrote: »

thanks

I want to test my (amber)line to check capability, the line is with Eircom but I am not signed up for any BB package just the phone line.
    Do I need to be on a BB package with Eircom before I can test ? or can I just connect a DSL modem/router to the phone line and test from there? Do I need to enter a number to the router ?:confused:

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

i dont think so, eircom have to enable the line, you could try plugging in a router but as you are not connecting to anything it wont register anything. You should ring eircom back and ask how far is your line from the exchange. Also when you ask eircOm to do a test on the line you should unplug everything. And check your main socket is in fact a main socket, they way houses are wired here is a joke.

1MB uncongested means you will get a constant 1mb ie it will not drop, you may not be aware but at the moment speeds go up and down like billyo so at times you could be stopped for all you know. 1MB constant will look rocket fast but like everything can we believe eircon???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

NGB should be downloads of 20 meg..and uploads of at least 5-10 meg...like most eastern european country. or norway, sweden..

NGB me ARSE!

like i said..i allways get these speed..just checked and its 12:48 pm!

798165477.png

anyone one know, why eirom only have .34 of a meg upload? why not , say a meg or 2?

m.

Advertisement