Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

I went with NGB Advanced and I'm getting this......

799736468.png

I have to say I'm a tiny bit disappointed that its not up nearer the 7-8meg mark because on my 3mb/s package I was getting 2.62mb/s speeds.

That means I was getting 86% of what I was paying for. Now I'm only getting something like 72%.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

HAHAH!! NGB!!

just wanted a quick laugh today before i start the day!

m!

ps: just in case u dont get it..it SHOULD be downloads of 20meg+ and uploads of 5+! NGB!!! HAHAH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I just ordered home broadband 3MB and talktime package today.

What happens my previous voice only package, does that contract and bill get torn up?

Does someone come around to work on the broadband and will I need a router or do I just plug in a network cable and away you go.

Not sure what's going to happen.

Aparrantly I am eligible for NGB even though I live just outside Dublin County.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

It seems according to this site that Drogheda has "NGB" now - here.

I'm on a 3mb package, does that mean I'll be automatically upgraded or what is the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

As far as I know the auto upgrades may happen as far a way as August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

I checked on the NGB (hah) site, and to my suprise they said that I have, or will be getting NGB in my area (I live kinda rural so I was suprised).
    Right now I'm on 3Mb dl, 30GB limit.
    When I get changed, what will I get changed to? The NGB Regular?

And finally, someone said that the limit will be enforced, (€2/GB) up to the €50 mark.
    Is this true?
    Sorry but it's lose/lose for Eircom as:

a) If they DO have the limit, I will drop them ASAP
    and
    b) If they DON'T have the limit, then the 3 packages are essentially the same deal, everyone would get the cheapest

They need to get their act together; soon enough Eircom will be company used only by large businesses, and I hope that's enough for them.

EDIT:
    Had another look at the site and wow, Eircom have their heads up their arse so far they don't even see how they're scamming themselves.
    Check this out:
    The 10GB download limit package (8Gb dl speed) and they charge you €2 per GB, but wont go over €50, right?

HAH2.jpg

So, since all 3 packages have different download limits, but the SAME download speeds, why on earth would you pay €66 for the advanced package when you could get the basic package and pay €50 for unlimited downloads?

hah3.jpg

I'm puzzled, could they really be this stupid? Help me, boards, my IQ has fallen through the floor looking at their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

So, since all 3 packages have different download limits, but the SAME download speeds, why on earth would you pay €66 for the advanced package when you could get the basic package and pay €50 for unlimited downloads?

I'm puzzled, could they really be this stupid? Help me, boards, my IQ has fallen through the floor looking at their site.

I think its the broadband part of the package that they'll charge a max of €50 for. So in the above example with Broadband basic and talktime chatter, the broadband aspect is €13.94 and so you can be charged an extra €36.06 (max bill would be €82.85). With Broadband advanced and eircom talktime €66.71 is the max you can be charged.

Hope that makes sense.

mgsrocks wrote: »
    I think its the broadband part of the package that they'll charge a max of €50 for. So in the above example with Broadband basic and talktime chatter, the broadband aspect is €13.94 and so you can be charged an extra €36.06 (max bill would be €82.85). With Broadband advanced and eircom talktime €66.71 is the max you can be charged.

Hope that makes sense.

Ah that does make sense. Hopefully they will be be more open with information soon.
    I've been checking my router page, still on 3Mb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Ah that does make sense. Hopefully they will be be more open with information soon.
    I've been checking my router page, still on 3Mb/s.

I'm switching to UPC as soon as they do. I'm on 3mb at the moment with eircom talktime regular, it costs €56 a month. I got a letter from eircom today saying that I'll be upgraded in the next two months and warning me that because I exceed my current download allowance I'll either need to pay penalties or upgrade my package costing an extra €10. Btw, I know for a fact my line wont handle 8MB.

I looked up UPC as soon as I got the letter and they have a package for €57.75 for 15MB unlimited download and free worldwide calls. Can't see many people staying with eircom once the upgrades roll out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Can't see many people staying with eircom once the upgrades roll out.
    Unless you are in an area with no choice. :(

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Unless you are in an area with no choice. :(
    Like me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

51184_eircom1_122_114lo.jpg

I'd rather stick with the Up to 3Mb than get charged for going over download limit.
    Although 8Mb does sound nice, but €2/Gb download :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Handy tip when for dealing with Eircoms automated phone line, I got so frustrated trying to get through to someone who wan't technical support I shouted "put me through to a representative!" into the phone and wouldn't you know it the voice recognition recognised it and put me through to an Indian call centre. Cut through a lot of BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Unfortunatly due to my location i couldnt get NTL or any of the wireless interent options. So i activaated the eircom line hoping to switch to Smart, and then found out that Eircom send you a cancellation bill if you do this:(

So i need to get an eircon broadband only package, but from looking at it, am i right in saying that the cheapest 3md broadband only package costs 29.99 plus 24 quid a month for line rental? Or does the 29.99 include line rental? thats mad money for 3mb broadband!!

Can anyone tell me the cheapest 3mb package/bundle...the site is so confusing, doesnt tell you what includes line rental and what doesnt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Unfortunatly due to my location i couldnt get NTL or any of the wireless interent options. So i activaated the eircom line hoping to switch to Smart, and then found out that Eircom send you a cancellation bill if you do this:(

So i need to get an eircon broadband only package, but from looking at it, am i right in saying that the cheapest 3md broadband only package costs 29.99 plus 24 quid a month for line rental? Or does the 29.99 include line rental? thats mad money for 3mb broadband!!

Can anyone tell me the cheapest 3mb package/bundle...the site is so confusing, doesnt tell you what includes line rental and what doesnt...

3Mb broadband costs €29.99 total. It includes the line rental.
    3Mb broadband with phone package costs €51.78 total. It includes the line rental.

Btw
    The cheapest is the 1Mb broadband for €24.99 total. It also includes the line rental.

cheers thanks.

suppose 29.99 isnt to bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

3Mb broadband costs €29.99 total. It includes the line rental.
    It doesnt include line rental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

My God that is crazy money...

Im actually going to keep using my unreal crap mobile broadband rather than pay stupid money for line rental and the likes.

O2 home broadband looks good, but an 18month contract doesnt...theres always a catch somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

cheers thanks.

suppose 29.99 isnt to bad!
    twinsen wrote: »
    It doesnt include line rental
    Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    My God that is crazy money...

Im actually going to keep using my unreal crap mobile broadband rather than pay stupid money for line rental and the likes.

O2 home broadband looks good, but an 18month contract doesnt...theres always a catch somewhere.

Sorry, My past bills had shown the lines rental as part of the broadband fee which is then added to the phone bundle to give the total cost.

So I thought it was the case that if you ordered a phone package it merely cost more and that that was why the phone bundles were so much more expensive..

Turns out that's not the case.
    I just went through the eircom ordering procedure, it's actually cheaper if you get the phone/broadband bundle than if you get the broadband on it's own:eek:

I.e

Phone
    and Broadband (3Mb)
    and Line-rental = €51.78

Broadband (3Mb)
    and Line-rental = €55.35:confused:

€600 a year for 1Mb broadband... says it all:(

• Advertisement

Sorry, My past bills had shown the lines rental as part of the broadband fee which is then added to the phone bundle to give the total cost.

So I thought it was the case that if you ordered a phone package it merely cost more and that that was why the phone bundles were so much more expensive..

Turns out that's not the case.
    I just went through the eircom ordering procedure, it's actually cheaper if you get the phone/broadband bundle than if you get the broadband on it's own:eek:

I.e

Phone
    and Broadband (3Mb)
    and Line-rental = €51.78

Broadband (3Mb)
    and Line-rental = €55.35:confused:

€600 a year for 1Mb broadband... says it all:(

Ye thats what i thought! Madness...will just have to male do with this unreal crap mobile broadband cos be ****ed if im paying that shower that money.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

How was I naive enough to think this might be a good deal. I like a lot of other people I'm sure, only have an eircom phoneline because I want to have the broadband. Eircom's bull**** marketing for this displaying line rental included is ONLY talking about the bundles.

I just rang them to switch to the NGB Advanced so I wouldnt have a cap and the girl tells me line rental is NOT included. So you are forced into paying the €25 a month line rental charge before you even think about what broadband package you want on top of that.

If you only want broadband and not a phone, Eircom's NGB prices are as follows (including the line rental charge):

5GB cap - €50 per month
    30GB cap - €55 per month
    Unlimited - €65 per month

Bloody joke, If NTL was in my area I'd be gone to them in a shot

Do not pay that type of money, its madness. In protest im making do with mobile broadband as that is crazy money.

Im praying NTL move into my area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd sell my soul for something other than Eircom from where I'm living.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Unfortunately they still have a monopoly in most of the country as there is no competition so they really don't give a toss about offering decent value broadband only packages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

So i goto ngb site last night to check for a friend if he was in a coverge area and noticed that I could order NGB on my line if i wanted, so went to it just to see what was on offer, I can now get superfast 3 meg broadband as the highest package on my line, which is funnily enough exactly the same as im already getting

As I predicted all along

Good going eircom

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Over the last few days I noticed that I have been getting speeds in excess of the 3Mb package I should be on. When I checked the Netopia gateway for speed it says 4096/384 (kbps). I am in an area that is already enabled for NGB, but if I have been migrated already then I am extremely annoyed, looks like I will be charged extra for going over my cap, with a very minor increase in speed.

I've also noticed that my usage stats now include upload in my 30gig download allowance. While I was usually in and around my allowance for downloads, the addition of upload means that I don't have a hope, I use an online backup service to back up my two hard drives. So they will get the extra €10 a month out of me. In that case my usual 30gig odd download and 5 gig odd upload are going to shoot up, I shall download and upload for the hell of it. Congrats eircom, you have won. I shall now proceed to congest your servers.

UPC cable goes straight past my driveway, but the feckers that built this apartment wouldn't allow it in here as they had an exclusive deal done with some other two bit outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Ill be in the same boat come ngb time (which isnt too soon!).

aprilsm.jpg

I work mainly from home doing OS Image engineering for a few customers, cant get a faster package therefore eircom wouldnt bump up the cap even though i did state i had no problem paying for a higher cap with the lower speed. (If people want to know :) Ive Altiris CMS server that replicates Software Packages and Images overnight, Mainly Downstream but a fair amount up stream).

Happy with my service from eircom, just would love faster speeds (would make my life easier!).

I was upgraded from 3meg to 8meg. I saw i was close to cap and was going to get charged so i range up for the advance package with talktime bundle. I was told 24 hours later i'd have unlimited downloads.

Two days and it still says i'm metered.
    when i changed package a while back from 1mb to 3mb, it changed on the 3rd day after changing.
    ie. i changed it monday night, and it changed on thursday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

when i changed package a while back from 1mb to 3mb, it changed on the 3rd day after changing.
    ie. i changed it monday night, and it changed on thursday

haha you quoted me before i deleted.

I was using the eircom tool. rang their support and they said it was setup. Told me to restart the modem then restart the eircom tool as it might not pick it up first time.

Did that and unlimited then popped up.

Advertisement