Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go service

• 25-03-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am bringing over a new mobile phone from the US with SIM card capability and want a simple "top up", pay as you go service for use mainly within Ireland. I spend almost all my time in South Kerry, and I don't make many calls, and don't need any other features like texting. Anyone have any suggestions on getting an Irish phone number, new SIM card and this type of service option?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can get free sims here for some networks. You caould request one online now, and it will be waiting in your address in kerry when you get there.

https://sim1.o2online-media.ie/SimOrderDetail.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DougB

Thanks. I looked at the site, and realized I probably don't fully understand what a SIM card does. Does it allow you to use a certain service like O2, who assigns you a phone number using a certain SIM card, and if you want to switch to another service provider, you just get another SIM card from them?

Ye pretty much what you have said.

O2 provide you with the sim, and a number assigned to the sim to use on their network.

Then if you dont like them, and want to use vodafone, meteor etc you can go and get a new sim from them. You can deicide at that point if your happy with a new number, or you can keep your same number, the one that o2 gave you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

If you like I can post you a sim to your home address in the US this evening if you PM me with your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

SIM means "Subscriber Identity Module". It's basically a smart card which the network uses to identify you as a subscriber. For all intents and purposes, it is your mobile phone account.

Your phone number is assigned to that SIM card, not to your mobile phone or device. You can move the SIM card from phone to phone, and your number moves with it.

SIM cards also store a phonebook, so if your phone book is stored on your SIM, if you change phone, the numbers move with the SIM. (Although many phones now store the contacts in the phone's memory instead / as well!)

SIM cards were introduced with the advent of GSM, which is the European mobile phone standard. So, all European mobile phone operators, including those in Ireland, use SIM cards.

You can get a SIM card for any of the mobile operators in Ireland:
    If you are mostly in rural areas, O2 and Vodafone are the best for guaranteed coverage.

Check out their tariffs by clicking on the links above and following the links to prepay.
    • Mobile phones are topped-up in Ireland as follows:
    • Vouchers - you can purchase these in thousands of shops, supermarkets, petrol stations etc all over the country.
    • Credit Card / Debit Card - either online or using an automated phone service (each network has its own way)
    • ATM - Using AIB or Bank of Ireland ATM machines.
    • Online banking - Directly from your bank account.
    • There are also some services for "gifting" credit from a contract phone (bill pay) on the same network.

The networks all offer:
    Full voice telephone service, with an Irish number & voicemail.
    SMS/MMS messaging
    Internet Access

If you need mobile broadband, you can also pick up a USB broadband dongle from most of the networks at a very reasonable price. This is also available as non-contract (prepay). Check locally for advice on which networks offer the best coverage where you're planning to stay.

Note : your handset must be unlocked and capable of connecting to one of these :

For 2G service:
    GSM 900mhz (and 1800mhz if you want enhanced coverage)
    (Standard European 2G GSM)
    "Triband / Quadband phone" (i.e. supports 2 North American and 1 or 2 European bands)

For 3G service:
    UMTS 2100mhz (standard European 3G)

More info on SIM cards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_Identity_Module

You'll also need a plug adaptor for your charger, or you can just purchase a new charger here (they're quite cheap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

How does it work in America if they don't have SIM cards?

Beno wrote: »

They do have sim cards over there

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DougB

Thanks everyone for your info. Talk 202 thanks but I had already ordered a free one from O2 before I saw your post.

In the US we have phones with and without SIM cards, depending on your service provider - my phone doesn't have one so I bought a cheap one that does, to see if I could get it working in Irl. We'll see if it meets the standards listed in Solair's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

DougB wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your info. Talk 202 thanks but I had already ordered a free one from O2 before I saw your post.

In the US we have phones with and without SIM cards, depending on your service provider - my phone doesn't have one so I bought a cheap one that does, to see if I could get it working in Irl. We'll see if it meets the standards listed in Solair's post.
    Well if you need anything while you are over here please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Beno wrote: »

Only on some phone services i.e. GSM/UMTS. CDMA doesn't necessarily use SIMs it just assigns the number to the handset, similar to the way the old 088 phones did it, only digital.

• Advertisement
Advertisement