Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Group Commercial Insurance - Threaten to cancel policy

Options
  • 25-03-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

WTF??

Can someone please offer me some advice on this.....

I used to have regular motor insurance. I took out a policy on my car in October 2009 for 12 months.

On the 20th of February this year I bought a commercial vehicle. I do a lot of water sports and needed the space.

I contacted my insurance company asking them (Munster Group) to transfer my policy over. The very nice lady on the phone explained to me that because my old policy was regular motor insurance I would have to cancel that policy and start a new commercial policy.

She gave me two options. I could cancel my car policy and

i) she post me the new commercial policy document which I would fill out and return with balance of payment (the excess owed after the refund from the regular motor policy was taken into consideration). Which I was told would take a couple of days.

ii) She could insure me straight away, if I paid in full, and she would then send out my policy declaration, and my refund.

I choose the second option as it would mean that I would be insured straight away. I asked how long would it take to receive the refund, as I am unemployed and money is tight. I was told no longer than 2 weeks.

So to now. I have just returned home from visiting my parents, who live on the other side of the country, to find a letter from Munster dated 20/March/2010, threatening to cancel my policy and charge a 70% (of my Premium) cancellation fee if I do not return my policy document within 7 days.

Firstly, I never initially received a policy document to sign (only the one which arrived with this letter). I just assumed, naively, as I have had all my recent motor policies through this company, I would not need to sign another one or at least, it was no big deal, because if it was important, they would have sent it to me by now, right!?

Secondly, I have not received my refund.

Am I over reacting, because this letter has enraged me. I think they have some cheek to threaten to cancel my policy, when they failed to send me any documentation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I assume they're looking for your non-commercial policy to be returned, you don't sign that. They will need it to be returned before they give any refund, because if you hold on to it you would still be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

jor el wrote: »
    I assume they're looking for your non-commercial policy to be returned, you don't sign that. They will need it to be returned before they give any refund, because if you hold on to it you would still be insured.

No, they requested that I return the insurance disc on the day that I took out the commercial policy. However, I couldn't because I left it in the car when I sold it... stupidly. They then sent me out a lost disc or equivalent form which I filled out and returned. That was the last I heard from them..... Until now that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Surely you didn't leave the policy document in the car with the disc though? They will need that to be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

loctite wrote: »
    So to now. I have just returned home from visiting my parents, who live on the other side of the country, to find a letter from Munster dated 20/March/2010, threatening to cancel my policy and charge a 70% (of my Premium) cancellation fee if I do not return my policy document within 7 days.

I assume you dont have the car registered at the address where you live.
    Thats the argument they'll take.

Your meant to have the address on it where you normally live.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

jor el wrote: »
    Surely you didn't leave the policy document in the car with the disc though? They will need that to be returned.

No & No. Didn't leave old policy document in car, still have it. Certificate only is required to be returned NOT old policy document.... It is irrelevant either way.
    I assume you dont have the car registered at the address where you live.
    Thats the argument they'll take.

Your meant to have the address on it where you normally live.

Of course I have my car registered where I live. If you read what you quoted, I returned home from visiting my family to find a letter there......

Anyway I rang them and voiced my anger. They admitted it was their own fault for not sending me the new policy document for the commercial policy. They had no record of ever sending it to me.......

Its nice (however unusual) when such businesses admit they were wrong and admit they made mistakes:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

loctite wrote: »
    No & No. Didn't leave old policy document in car, still have it. Certificate only is required to be returned NOT old policy document.... It is irrelevant either way.

Of course I have my car registered where I live. If you read what you quoted, I returned home from visiting my family to find a letter there......

Anyway I rang them and voiced my anger. They admitted it was their own fault for not sending me the new policy document for the commercial policy. They had no record of ever sending it to me.......

Its nice (however unusual) when such businesses admit they were wrong and admit they made mistakes:D

Ah .. I read it the other way around :)

Nevermind then, glad your sorted !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement