Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokémon HeartGold SoulSilver Launch in Europe Tomorrow!!1!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

marko93 wrote: »
    Is it worth it? :P

I think I may have missed the sarcasm in that statement... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

marko93 wrote: »
    I wan't to get this but i face endless judgment from friends and family -_-, why cant a brother just enjoy a game without being judged :(

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Pokemon-Soul-Silver-DS-Nintendo-DS-Game-NEW_W0QQitemZ170467798280QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item27b0ac2d08

Boardies what do you think of that? seem legit?
    Seems like the very early English language Box art, which is oddly enough on the official Nintendo staff training manual for the Arceus event (I'll bring it on Monday, don't know what I'm talking about go here)
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Avoid like the plague mate.
    Couldn't have put it better myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Seems like the very early English language Box art, which is oddly enough on the official Nintendo staff training manual for the Arceus event (I'll bring it on Monday, don't know what I'm talking about go here)
    They've clearly just used the first picture that came up in google image search. I've reported the item now anyway.
    Not that I'm that against piracy, it just sickens me to see opportunistic bastards trying to profit from it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

tman wrote: »
    I've reported the item now anyway.

Looks like it's removed within the past minute, as it was up as I was filling out the report form, and down now that I'm nearly done :P

tman wrote: »
    They've clearly just used the first picture that came up in google image search. I've reported the item now anyway.
    Not that I'm that against piracy, it just sickens me to see opportunistic bastards trying to profit from it....
    I am against piracy, as I want to someday perhaps work withing the gaming/animation industry but it doesn't stop it happening. Don't worry, I do know when to turn a blind eye. Profiting from it is the ultimate wrong way of doing it.

On and mark93, HG/SS is €44.99 in Smyths and they have 10% off for loyality card holders which brings it down to €40.49. It is however €39.99 in HMV with 10% off for students and €39.95 in your local Tesco. Put all that Easter Egg money together and you'll afford it no problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Teferi wrote: »
    Has anybody got any phonecalls to battle again? I've gotten a load of phonecalls (off of Joey) but it's all random rubbish...
    I want to kill Joey so bad. Who the hell can't catch a metapod?!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

After beating Team Rocket in Goldenrod I am being spammed with battle requests when I had never even gotten one before. Maybe the game waits until you have reached a certain point before letting the NPCs challenge you to a re-match?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

I kinda spent my easter money on stuff XD guess i can wait :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

After beating Team Rocket in Goldenrod I am being spammed with battle requests when I had never even gotten one before. Maybe the game waits until you have reached a certain point before letting the NPCs challenge you to a re-match?

probably, to make sure you are within a certain level range so your not outclassed.

Also Pokewalker is great fun, am doing almost 1600 steps everytime I go to feed the sheep, and am at it 3 times a day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

It is however €39.99 in HMV with 10% off for students
    HMV don't do the student discount, they stopped it last year, unfortunately. I'm always very reluctant to shop there now!

• Advertisement

syncosised wrote: »
    HMV don't do the student discount, they stopped it last year, unfortunately. I'm always very reluctant to shop there now!
    I thought they still did a student discount, but only if you had their special student card. I guess I'm wrong though, I've not been getting student discounts as I'm not technically a student anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

syncosised wrote: »

Did they stop student discounts entirely? I don't think they ever gave student discounts off games or consoles anyway, but 40 quid is a good deal especially as it comes with a pokewalker. HMV used to consistently charge a few euros over the RRP, but they seem to have changed their tune recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Hello all!

Im a poke-geek as well, so thought I should drop by. I got it on Monday, having great fun. I missed the original Gold/Silver (Ruby was my first) so it's a sort of new experiance for me, but I remember it from the anime, it's quite good. Im just after beating Morty, and attempting to get a water pokemon so I can have surf :rolleyes: The PokeWalker is currently holding my interest, I can see it just being a fad though, and the stupid wild pokemon that turn up are slightly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The PokeWalker is currently holding my interest, I can see it just being a fad though

Haha, it becomes one of the things you throw in your pocket without thinking, like your phone or your wallet.

Hello all!

Im a poke-geek as well, so thought I should drop by. I got it on Monday, having great fun. I missed the original Gold/Silver (Ruby was my first) so it's a sort of new experiance for me, but I remember it from the anime, it's quite good. Im just after beating Morty, and attempting to get a water pokemon so I can have surf :rolleyes: The PokeWalker is currently holding my interest, I can see it just being a fad though, and the stupid wild pokemon that turn up are slightly annoying.
    Welcome to the Pokémon Boards! I'm glad you are enjoying HGSS.

As for a surf dude, don't forget that lots of Pokemon can learn it not just your [insert the blank] water type Pokémon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Welcome to the Pokémon Boards! I'm glad you are enjoying HGSS.

As for a surf dude, don't forget that lots of Pokemon can learn it not just your [insert the blank] water type Pokémon

Oh, Sentret can, well that's that solved, Thank You! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

picked up ss today. Other half is going hill walking at the weekend so shes gonnas get me some amount of steps. At the moment im resisting the temptation to start playing. Damn college work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

The PokeWalker is wrecking my head.

As far as my “Refreshing Field” is concerned, it is a land littered with the corpses of 1000 slaughtered Pidgeys. When I take the bloody thing for a walk (with my actual Dog) all I ask my Totodile to do is find a Nidoran. Instead he keeps bringing me back Pidgeys to fight.

At the start I just evaded them, no point battling for no reason I thought. However as the frequency of Pidgeys increased and with it the message “need more watts” I lost it. From that point on I ordered Totodile to murder any Pokemon it found unless it was a Nidoran. To be fair the odd Dudoo and Kangkaskan did pop up but alas my anger held and they too joined their Pokemon brethren in Pokehell.

Eventually I found and captured the Nidoran I was looking for. I then returned it and Totodile from the Pokewalker to my DS. Totodile was silent, probably in shock at the genocide he waged against his own kind under my orders.

"No matter" I thought, "it’s time to get started training this Nidoran to become a Nidoking."

It was about that time I noticed a little symbol next to our newly captured Nidoran’s name; ♀

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

When you go walking, the route sets its tier 1, 2 and 3 pokemon and they don't change till you end that walk. So if you're not getting the tier 1/2 you wanted, end the walk and start again. Also, you don't want to catch it it's less risky to tap Evade like crazy to escape the battle - you lose 10W if you lose the fight.

Alternatively, raise her to like football and fart jokes, you might turn her into a tomboy - once they're old enough to make their own decisions Prof Oak might consider performing some gender reallignment pokésurgery for you.

Banjo wrote: »
    Alternatively, raise her to like football and fart jokes, you might turn her into a tomboy - once they're old enough to make their own decisions Prof Oak might consider performing some gender reallignment pokésurgery for you.

I've decided to be an abusive Pokemon Trainer instead.
    I will constantly remind her that I wanted a NidoKing, thereby making her try her hardest to achieve an unachievable goal. I hope that after hours of such mental abuse she will stockpile all the anger and aggression and use it in battle, effectively creating a Pokemon killing machine better then the NidoKing I would have originally had.

Failing that I will just send my Totodile after her, he has basically become a void of a person not dis-similar to Sayid's current state in Lost.

I just have to keep reminding myself that there are no ethics in Pokemon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Failing that I will just send my Totodile after her, he has basically become a void of a person not dis-similar to Sayid's current state in Lost.

Wild FLocke used Leer!

Totodile felt nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Got both Pokemon HeartGold and a DSi XL in a bundle on Wednesday. It's my first Pokemon game since Red on original Gameboy (back in 1999! I got it in the same HMV where I got HeartGold... how time flies...) so I'm getting my head around the new features and tons of new Pokemon. It is quite nostalgic to go back to the world of Pokemon though, and nice to have colour and convenient touchscreen this time instead of eye-straining green!

I've never done any type of multiplayer in a Pokemon game before, so if anyone has advice on what to do or even wants to "meet up" with me through Wi-fi to trade/battle/mess around, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Finally got SoulSilver yesterday...amazing how many places in galway it was sold out in :O (compared to heartgold...which was also sold out some places)

Ds battery died though :( and i can't find my charger....stolen my sisters dsi lite for the next few hours though (i have a feeling that'll turn into few weeks/months if i don't find it...although she also got the game yesterday)

About to start properly :D

I am now the polar opposite of my post from last week; I quite like the Pokewalker.

Its very cool to throw a Pokemon on it, do your days work and then send said Pokemon back to your DS after work having gained a new level. Pretty handy for me especially as my strongest Pokemon is currently level 19, I have a fair bit of catching up to do :)

Just don't forget they don't learn moves or evolve when they level up in the Pokewalker - make sure you don't accidentally mess up your build!

Yeah I think I read that in another post around here that they miss learning new moves on the PokeWalker, thanks for that its a great tip. I keep checking bulbapedia to make sure they're back on the DS for important levels.

Is there any reason why you would want to delay your Pokemon evolving? I see that you can make it stop evolving as it gains levels however as I see it the Poemon's stats gain a considerable boost when they level up so why would anyone want to keep their Pokemon at a lower level/ evolution form? Is it just, for example, because they like to look of a lv.100 Charmander vs the look of a lv.100 Charizard?

Some 'Mons learn moves *after* their first evolution level but only if they're still in their pre-evolved form. For example, Treecko gets Energy Ball somewhere around level 53 if you don't evolve it, which is one of the few high-damage high-accuracy special Grass type attacks that doesn't have a downside. But Grovile doesn't learn it.

Also the earlier forms tend to learn moves earlier than their evolved counterparts (but the evolutions will level faster on account of them being stronger, so winning more fights and more quickly so it's much of a muchness). You might delay evolving for a few levels to pick up the moves. (Everstone or pressing B during evolution)

Nidoran females can't breed if they evolve to Nidorina / Nidoqueen. Can't think of another 'Mon with that issue though.

If you evolve an Event pokemon such as the shiney Pichu off last months WiFi event, I don't think they trigger their event any more. Again, I think this might be a unique case.

Some pokemon lose their ability - eg Phanpy or whatever that elephant one is called loses Pickup, and you can only Pickup certain items if the Pickup-er is of a high level.

I may have misunderstood how this works, but if you have a Scyther, and if you don't evolve to Scizor, and it's got the Technician trait (boosts <=60 attacks) you have a kick ass flying-type attack that never misses in Aerial Ace. But Scythers don't evolve through levelling so this doesn't count :)

A few examples

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I FINALLY GOT IT!!! :D:D:D:D

I got HG today and have been playing it lightly. Currently in the Bellsprout Tower taking it handy.
    My Pokéwalker doesn't seem to record my foot steps, has anyone else had this problem?:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CianRyan wrote: »

I got HG today and have been playing it lightly. Currently in the Bellsprout Tower taking it handy.
    My Pokéwalker doesn't seem to record my foot steps, has anyone else had this problem?:(

Try fapping with it. Works for me. Great way to multitask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

CianRyan wrote: »

Mine seems to be a bit dodgy alright. Sometimes it doesn't record any and sometimes it records insane amounts of steps.

Advertisement