Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really need help with an "audio in" problem on a Philips 32PFL5604H LCD TV

• 25-03-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Am currently pulling my hair out over this bigtime!

Bought a Philips 32PFL5604H last week....and I have a DVI out on my PC as well as a VGA out (my PC monitor is connected to this)

The bloke in DID I bought it from told me that if I wanted to hook my PC to it then I'd have hassle gettin the sound transferred because obviously running a DVI to HDMI cable would only give me video & if I hooked a jack (from PC) to RCA red & white (into TV) it wouldnt work cos those inputs are for a seperate input - ok I say

The same guy also told me it wouldnt play avi's off a memory key in the USB input when it does, but thats a different story alltogether

So now, I look at the built in manual on the TV & it clearly states if I wanna hook the PC to the TV....I need to run a cable to get the pic & then a seperate cable from the audio out on my soundcard to the RCA red & white audio in connectors on the side of the TV (thus reversing what the sales guy told me)
    So off I go to Komplett, bought the appropriate leads which arrived today....after a bit of dickeying around I got the picture sorted, all good I thought now for the simple bit - wrong!

Plugged the jack into the audio out (which I know is giving sound out cos i plugged headphones into it) & then the 2 RCA's into the side of the TV as instructed by the diagram in the manual, no joy with the sound....then I noticed theres also a jack input for audio on the back of the TV which states this is for the VGA input but also HDMI1/DVI & HDMI2/DVI.
    So I find a dj mixer here at home, route the sound from the PC to the mixer....then reverse the way I had the audio lead originally with the RCA's coming out of the mixer output & the jack end into the aforementioned audio input on the back of the TV - still no joy!!!

Have tried putting the HDMI end into both spare ports also, one on the back & the one on the side with the audio, still dosnt work

Am absolutely cracking over this & know it must be a simple thing that needs doing...the diagram in the manual clearly shows it shouldve worked the first way I had it but the audio just does not pass through to the TV no matter what I do & there dosnt seem to be any settings on the TV in order to activate audio from the line in

Sorry for the long post but has anyone had a similar experience or know a fix?? Am absolutely cracking here over it & am desperate to get some HD mkv files on the go from my PC to TV

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Does the sound card on the PC have a "Line Out" as well as "Headphone" connector? The signals to drive your headphones are different to those needed by the phono input on your TV.
    If not, there may be an option in your audio driver software or control panel to switch the output from Headphone to Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Yeah, its got 6 little ports & whenever I plug something in a Realtek Audio Interface comes up showing me what each of them are for.
    So say if I plug my headphones into one of the 3 line outs which have a speaker symbol, i then get a little checkbox thing pop up which asks me what have i just plugged in with a list of all the available output options & i just check which one it is, almost like its doublechecking for me that ive plugged it into the right output port

When I plug in the lead going to the TV I've always selected Line Out :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Am currently pulling my hair out over this bigtime!

Plugged the jack into the audio out (which I know is giving sound out cos i plugged headphones into it) & then the 2 RCA's into the side of the TV as instructed by the diagram in the manual, no joy with the sound....then I noticed theres also a jack input for audio on the back of the TV which states this is for the VGA input but also HDMI1/DVI & HDMI2/DVI.
    So I find a dj mixer here at home, route the sound from the PC to the mixer....then reverse the way I had the audio lead originally with the RCA's coming out of the mixer output & the jack end into the aforementioned audio input on the back of the TV - still no joy!!!

Sorry for the long post but has anyone had a similar experience or know a fix?? Am absolutely cracking here over it & am desperate to get some HD mkv files on the go from my PC to TV

Thanks! :)

Hi there,

looks like a simple solution to this:
    You need to run an audio lead from the jack beside the VGA connection directly into the port on the soundcard where you would connect speakers/headphones - do this together with the VGA cable connected to the PC (i.e. run the cable from the PC to the TV instead of to the from the PC to the monitor)
    I`ve hooked up my laptop to my sony tv like this many times(the volume on my TV needs to be raised up alot higher than normal though)

I`ve viewed the online manual and it looks to me that the audio connection required for this is either number 2 or 5 on page on page 37 of the complete user manual

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5604h_12/32pfl5604h_12_dfu_eng.pdf
    this is an example of the type of lead required
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=11422

A much better solution for playing MKV files on your tv would be to buy a media player such as a WDTV Live (I got one for my birthday this week, bit slow at times but plays MKV`s from my external Harddrive no problem- Komplett sell it too). The device uses a HDMI cable for both video and audio. There are loads of these devices on the market at the moment so have a look and see what suits your needs best

Alternatively, I used to use my PS3 as a media player, again I hooked up my external Harddrive to it, but MKV files need to be converted first in order to play them, bit of an inconvenience though, but doesn`t take long to convert the files.....

Yeah, its got 6 little ports & whenever I plug something in a Realtek Audio Interface comes up showing me what each of them are for.
    So say if I plug my headphones into one of the 3 line outs which have a speaker symbol, i then get a little checkbox thing pop up which asks me what have i just plugged in with a list of all the available output options & i just check which one it is, almost like its doublechecking for me that ive plugged it into the right output port

When I plug in the lead going to the TV I've always selected Line Out :mad:
    The port you need to use on the PC should be lime green or blue
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card#Color_codes

My old PC`s audio output was lime green and my current laptop has only 2 connections - the audio out is blue....

Superleedsdub is right, you need to get a jack to jack lead and hook it into connector 5 on the back of the TV.
    The phono leads at the side will only work with the video-in on the same panel.

• Advertisement

hmmm first off thanks a mil for the effort you've gone to, downloading the manual etc

I had a quick scan through...I see the bit your talking about, I think its actually fugure 5 on page 40 you're referring to?
    That would be this:

Screenshot2010-03-25at211040.png

...and also DerMutt I see where youre coming from as it says here the side audio in red/white are for video-in or s-video
    This is the page here that highlights that:

Screenshot2010-03-25at211106.png

But...if you scroll down another page to numbers 42 & 43 you'l see they have another section on connecting computers to it, the first diagram tells you to hook HDMI to HDMI if you have a HDMI out on your PC, then on the next page there is this which shows you a number of different ways to do it & as it just so happens, the middle one in the left hand column is exactly what Im trying to do with the same cables :mad:

Screenshot2010-03-25at211142.png

hmmm first off thanks a mil for the effort you've gone to, downloading the manual etc

But...if you scroll down another page to numbers 42 & 43 you'l see they have another section on connecting computers to it, the first diagram tells you to hook HDMI to HDMI if you have a HDMI out on your PC, then on the next page there is this which shows you a number of different ways to do it & as it just so happens, the middle one in the left hand column is exactly what Im trying to do with the same cables :mad:

Screenshot2010-03-25at211142.png

yeah thats exactly how you should be connecting:-(......stupid question: have you tried raising the volume in the TV up (my TV needs to raised much higher than normal in order to hear the sound from my laptop)

Yeah mate, had it whacked up full

Also I did another move with the dj mixer whereby I ran a different jack out from that into the red & white audio in conectors just to make sure it wasnt my original cable & still nothing

Also....just to anger me more, I plugged in my digital camera to the yellow video in & the black connector it has into the "white audio in" on the telly.....f**kin thing plays no problem, sound an all!!!

So its not the audio ports at fault & its not the cable cos ive tried 2 separate ones, one carrying audio from the PC & a different cable carrying audio from the dj mixer & neither route through the TV

So strange when it clearly shows in the manual its as simple as that....Im honestly stumped!!!

Yeah mate, had it whacked up full

Also I did another move with the dj mixer whereby I ran a different jack out from that into the red & white audio in conectors just to make sure it wasnt my original cable & still nothing

Also....just to anger me more, I plugged in my digital camera to the yellow video in & the black connector it has into the "white audio in" on the telly.....f**kin thing plays no problem, sound an all!!!

So its not the audio ports at fault & its not the cable cos ive tried 2 separate ones, one carrying audio from the PC & a different cable carrying audio from the dj mixer & neither route through the TV

So strange when it clearly shows in the manual its as simple as that....Im honestly stumped!!!
    yeah I`ve just read the Philips FAQ page for connecting a PC and saw this...

If the source signal is of High Definition (HD) content and when the TV is used as a monitor for home and office work, it is recommended to set the PC MODE in the TV menu to ON mode for best signal handling.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=IE&slg=ENG&sct=LCD_TV_SU&cat=TV_CA&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=32PFL5604H/12&mid=Link_FAQs&session=20091104184517_66.249.65.34&hlt=Link_FAQs

PC connection is the second question - from viewing the VGA to VGA connection diagram you have set it up correctly....

Are you trying to play a MKV file or a normal audio file? Could be that the audio codec in a MKV file cannot be downgraded to stereo and the TV might not play any audio at all....

I presume you are using the HDMI input on the side panel below the Phono inputs, it's the same story as video/S-video...
    Also, have you upped the Line Out level in the Realtek Control Panel? No point in upping the TV volume if there's nothing coming out of the sound card! :P

• Advertisement

I set it to Unscaled picture type like it recommends in the FAQ, but even when its at that or 16:9 view the PC Mode option is greyed out & I cant access it on the list, its just not pickable as an option which is kinda weird.
    Im just streaming a normal avi through it at the moment, havnt downloaded any mkv's yet

...and also yep, using the HDMI input on the side & also using the red & white inputs on the side - output on PC soundcard is set to full whack too lol

Absolute nightmare this is!!

Strange one. Which model of sound card is it?

Not sure how to go about checking that...when I go into properties it just tells me its a Realtek HD Audio output device

Also have an external Edirol sound soundcard which is what was sending the audio to the dj mixer, from which i was then pushing a feed to the TV

Have you tried going directly from the card in the PC?

How'd you mean....jack out of the card in the PC to the red/white in the TV?

Yeah, thats how I began this whole headwrecking mission lol :)

Duh! *slaps head* :P It's getting late...
    It should work.
    Have you tried turning it off and back on again? :pac:

Funnily enough I hadnt.....just did though & still not a dickeybird!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement