Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Investigation' or disciplinary tomorrow

Options
  • 25-03-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I had a barney with someone in work today. The basis is that they will be claiming that I verbally abused them while I will be claiming that I was approached in a confrontational manner, the time taken to do my work questioned without any foundation or evidence that I wasnt working. I asked if this was 'a complaint'. Other party said it was - and I told them I wanted know more to do with them. They then 'threatened' to take the discussion to another level ie. disciplinary - which i invited them to do.
    AFTER the incident, the accusser approached a work colleague of mine and asked if it should have taken me so long to do the work I was doing.
    7 Hours later - at the end of the day - I was told by a line manager who works in the same 'team' as this individual' that there would be an 'investigation' tomorrow and that it would be necessary to meet with her and another line manger (who also works on the same team as the accuser).
    I have not been given an exact time for the meeting nor have they indicated that I should bring someone along as a witness. Should this have happened?
    Both of the people 'investigating' are line managers who work with the accuser (another support staff member but not a line manager) on the same support team.
    This person is a bully who has taken a keen interest in harassing me of late. I have witnesses who on another occassion were present when she made derogatory and threatening remarks about me....along the lines of 'I'll f..ing kill him ...the bastard.

Any advice as to how to deal with this situation would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

make sure you have a witness with you who is willing to back up your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

I had a barney with someone in work today. The basis is that they will be claiming that I verbally abused them while I will be claiming that I was approached in a confrontational manner, the time taken to do my work questioned without any foundation or evidence that I wasnt working. I asked if this was 'a complaint'. Other party said it was - and I told them I wanted know more to do with them. They then 'threatened' to take the discussion to another level ie. disciplinary - which i invited them to do.
    AFTER the incident, the accusser approached a work colleague of mine and asked if it should have taken me so long to do the work I was doing.
    7 Hours later - at the end of the day - I was told by a line manager who works in the same 'team' as this individual' that there would be an 'investigation' tomorrow and that it would be necessary to meet with her and another line manger (who also works on the same team as the accuser).
    I have not been given an exact time for the meeting nor have they indicated that I should bring someone along as a witness. Should this have happened?
    Both of the people 'investigating' are line managers who work with the accuser (another support staff member but not a line manager) on the same support team.
    This person is a bully who has taken a keen interest in harassing me of late. I have witnesses who on another occassion were present when she made derogatory and threatening remarks about me....along the lines of 'I'll f..ing kill him ...the bastard.

Any advice as to how to deal with this situation would be very welcome.

Sounds like a disciplinary meeting to me. What I would do if I were you is to email the managers you are meeting first thing in the morning, and outline to them in the email the nature of the meeting taking place with them, and MAKE SURE to ask them in the email is it a disciplinary meeting that is taking place? If they say its an investigation, ask what is the exact nature of the investigation. Is it because your accuser is stating that you verbally abused them, and management are investigating that issue, or is it because they are going to question you about the length of time it took for you to do your task. If the meeting is about you being accused of verbally abusing your collegue, then the company are in breach of legislation SI 146/2000 the disciplinary and grievance procedure. This mean that they did not put the meeting in writing to you first and have not given you the opportunity to have a work collegue or union representative present, which you are entitled to under this piece of legislation. If management are questioning you about how long it took you to do your work then I would ask would it take you longer than someone else, would this be occuring alot of the time? If the answer is no, then there is no basis for management to question your work, when it may have taken you a bit longer to do once.
    If the person cannot back up their claim of you verbally abusing them (ie if there were no witness's present) then the complaint will not stand as there is no solid evidence to indicate that it took place. I hope this helps. Good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Thanks to you both for your replies - particularly yourself nicegirl - as I took your advice and mailed the manager in question. The response i got an hour later was that she had just read my mail and to phone her. The verbal clarification that followed was that it was neither an investigation or a disciplinary. No clarification as to the specifics of the complaint were given.
    2 Minutes prior to the meeting, I was told I could bring someone along with me if I wished but that it was just an informal chat. In the meeting, I again asked for clarification and was told that it was with regard to a 'complaint' following an 'incident'. I was given no information - but probed for my version of events of this 'incident' which I provided. The meeting was attended by the Line Manger who was covering my dept. on that day and another line manager who took notes. Both are part of the same 'support team' as the complainant - they all work closely together.
    My line manager (the guy I normally report to) returned to work today and asked if I was prepared to apologise - and I said no. - particularly as I didn't know in the first instance what specifically I was being accused of. Afterwards, I mailed him again asking for clarification as to what exactly the complaint was/is and I told him I would need the minutes of the meeting from the previous day if the complainant was taking the process further.

So basically, I've been left none the wiser other than to be told that someone will come back to me next Thursday with the outcome.

I would be grateful for any thoughts/comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My line manager (the guy I normally report to) returned to work today and asked if I was prepared to apologise - and I said no.
    This the bit struck me as very odd: being asked to apologise for something that you don't what it is. I'm thinking they want to bury this issue, and the quickest way to do so is to get you to say sorry to the accuser.

the_syco wrote: »
    This the bit struck me as very odd: being asked to apologise for something that you don't what it is. I'm thinking they want to bury this issue, and the quickest way to do so is to get you to say sorry to the accuser.
    Yes, in fairness to him - I believe thats what he wants to do - and from his standpoint, I can see the logic in this. However, I am not going to apologise for something that simply isn't true (the truth be told, its totally the other way round and i believe I can prove it if it comes down to it) - although i don't know what that is yet (!) - but i'm guessing shes going with verbal abuse ...or something of that nature.

I found out that the individual in question had to apologise to another employee earlier in the week for accusing him of being aggressive.

• Advertisement

I found out that the individual in question had to apologise to another employee earlier in the week for accusing him of being aggressive.
    Ah, one of those people. The saying "the best defence, is a good offence" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

The response i got an hour later was that she had just read my mail and to phone her.

Hi Op

My alarm bells went off when your line manager asked you to ring her, basically there is no written record for you of the proceedings, you have given them all the information but they have not given you the full information. You are right not to apologise because if you do it is a form of admission to something you did not do. I would suggest in future if you are asked to make a phone call when you send an e-mail, e-mail back saying you would prefer a written confirmation to your request / question, that way you have some back up and keep an element of control in this issue.

@miec: Yes, of course - you are absolutely right!

In the meantime, 'mediation' was organised between me and this other individual. I was as flexible as I could be as I just want to continue on with my work. Everything was cordial - but we certainly did not agree on the way the 'incident' played out. The other party maintains that I was verbally abusive while I maintain she was confrontational . On that basis, she said she wants to escalate. She was looking for an 'admission' from me that I 'mistreated' her - and I was not going to 'admit' or 'apologise' for something I simply didn't do. I was also very mindful of the fact that if I did so, I would be a target for this person in the future - and any event that SHE was of the mind that she was mistreated, I would be well and truly screwed!

She maintained during the meeting that she had no interest in my work - only aspects of her job role that she had to contact me about. Yet, when I told her she had enquired later in the day of a work colleague as regards how long it should take me to do my duties, she claimed this had nothing to do with the issue! Later she admited that she had but that it was after the 'incident'. I put it to her that it was exactly the point that she had done this AFTERWARDS that was an issue. Why take issue with me and my work without the facts?? In the meantime, I have heard that she has requested through her manager that a security (CCTV) audit be carried out - so i guess she does have an issue with my work :D (im not at all concerned by this - as i have nothing to hide)

The saga continues. I could do without this but I feel I have no alternative but to stick it out. This is an non-union workplace and HR issues can be very intimidating to say the least...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Hi Makeorbreak, in my work I come across a lot of these types of situations. Just make sure you document everything (meetings, comments etc). Its amazing how many people(and HR depts) rely on memory, especially when the issue can go back many months. As a previous poster said it looks like you are being bullied. Hope it works out for you.

Well, it looks like its gone nowhere as I haven't heard anything and no apology :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Just keep your notes on it , as that individual may drag it up again at some future date. :)

InReality wrote: »
    Just keep your notes on it , as that individual may drag it up again at some future date. :)
    Aye, and when sh|ts like that do so, they often have thrown a few "facts" in that the managers won't remember if true or not, or even relevent to the case.

Thanks folks. I have my notes all typed up. Luckily, i'm not working with that individual any more so there should be no opportunity for future conflict.

Advertisement