Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford - Donegal : Which route?

• 25-03-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Thinking of going to Donegal this weekend (only part of Ireland I haven't been to).
    Which route from Waterford would you suggest?
    - Dublin - Belfast - Donegal
    - KK - Portlaoise - Athlone - Sligo - Donegal
    - Other suggestion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Thinking of going to Donegal this weekend (only part of Ireland I haven't been to).
    Which route from Waterford would you suggest?
    - Dublin - Belfast - Donegal
    - KK - Portlaoise - Athlone - Sligo - Donegal
    - Other suggestion?

Really depends on the part.

Letterkenny/inishowen via Dublin - m1 - Monaghan - Donegal

Donegal Town, Bundoran, Ballyshannon via Dublin - Sligo - Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I have tryed every possible route and it depends largly which part of Donegal you are going to.

I have been living in South east having moved from Donegal in 2001. When the M9 is complete it will be an hour and a half quicked for me to visit the folks back home from when I first moved down.

I always now use the M9 to Dublin, the M50 as far as the M1, the M1 as far as the N33, the N33 to Ardee onto the N2, the N2 to the Border, the A5 to Stabane and the N14 to Letterkenny.

The old way I use to go was to Portlaois, on to Tullamore, Mullingar, Cavan, Enniskillen, Castlederg, Strabane and then into Donegal

My views are my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 blah_frenchie

the route via Dublin then M1 looks the fastest one indeed.

I don't know where exactly in Donegal to go. Just going on a road trip with my girlfriend...
    We'll stop wherever it looks good to us :D

If you have any suggestion on where exactly to go, don't hesitate...

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Well the fact the you are on on 'Infrastructure' maybe you might appreciate the Harry Blaney bridge in Mulroy bay.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11287317@N04/3456781295/

and also take in Portsalon...

My views are my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Moved from Infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You'd be better off going to somewhere like Leitrim. If you really want to go to Donegal you're probably quicker flying via London to Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

johnbk wrote:
    I always now use the M9 to Dublin, the M50 as far as the M1, the M1 as far as the N33, the N33 to Ardee onto the N2, the N2 to the Border, the A5 to Stabane and the N14 to Letterkenny.

This is the route I would take as well, although if only going as far as Donegal Town, the road to Sligo might be a better option.

This thread might give you some ideas about where to go in Donegal.

Might be no harm travelling as far as Letterkenny initially, spending the night there, and then touring the county from there.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I find going via Sligo works best, but if you're heading for the northern part of the county you're probably best going through the North.

I'm generally travelling from Dublin though so the M/N4 is a good route for me but if you're going via Dublin anyway you may as well take that route.

Hi there,

We drove to Sligo via Naas, took the turn in Naas towards Sallins then Kilcock. Then M4.
    Great ddrive. Only 4h driving 130 kmh on the motorway.

The new motorway between Waterford and KK does not really help as there's a lot of traffic on the KK ring...

Slept in Sligo on friday night. then drove from there to Bushmills via Donegal, letterkenny, Derry.
    Beautiful drive!

Slept in Bushmills Saturday night and drove all the coastal drive down to Belfast. Nice drive as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement