Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex me Turtles

Options
  • 25-03-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I have two turtles that I'd like to get sexed they've been hiding in the corner dancing with each other over the last month, they're non stop moving stuff around the tank.

Are they male/female, will they start breeding? They don't look exactly the same either so maybe they're not even the same breed?

This is Chuck.
    chuck2-1.jpg

This is Obama.
    obama.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's kind of hard to tell from the photos, but are they different subspecies? the colouring and markings are a bit different on both of them.
    If I had to hazard a guess.. I'd say chuck was male but it's just a guess at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know what species they are, my sister got one in Spain and my brother got the other in Portugal (I think, or they both came from Spain) and they both abandoned them when they brought them home so I took them.

Here'e the underside of Obama.
    chuck3.jpg

Here's the underside of Chuck
    chuck4.jpg

The curved tail could indicate a male... they both look to be in good condition too.

You should try the tortoise trust site scumlord, it's a great resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Very short nails, I'd suggest females. But I've no idea really.

I notice in one picture you have an abrasion, you should be careful handling terrapins with open sores on your hands. They're filthy (no offence chuck and friend) and carry a lot of bacteria. Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'll have a look at that tortoise site.
    Very short nails, I'd suggest females. But I've no idea really.

I notice in one picture you have an abrasion, you should be careful handling terrapins with open sores on your hands. They're filthy (no offence chuck and friend) and carry a lot of bacteria. Just sayin'.
    The wound was caused by the turtles, don't worry I was the one holding the camera so I was unharmed.

Chuck does have very long claws compared to the bigger one he just didn't have them extended there.

• Advertisement

There's always a risk of salmonella with turtles so be sure to wash your hands after handling them.

Link to the Tortoise Trust site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'll have a look at that tortoise site.

The wound was caused by the turtles, don't worry I was the one holding the camera so I was unharmed.

Chuck does have very long claws compared to the bigger one he just didn't have them extended there.

let us know how you get on, i hope you won't have to restock the aquarium with pink stuff now rather than blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

both females 100%.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Is this the very best thread title on boards?

Yes, I think it might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

usually the males have a longer thicker tail. the females is very small. i was told i had 2females. when i got home i found out they were male and female!

• Advertisement
Advertisement