Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best revision Books

Options
  • 25-03-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what revision books you people find best, specifically for physics and english.

I already have Rapid Revision for Economics and I find that decent :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭furbey

dunno really "revise wise" is excellent for chemistry but its near impossible to get a good one for physics.
    any one of them is good for english but don't forget to put an original spin on your answers.
    Hope thats some help to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

'Exam Edge' by Dan O' Regan is an excellent revision book for physics. Dan O' Regan is also the same person who wrote the text book 'Real World Physics', which I use for school. It has exam questions and sample answers. It's explained very well and easy to follow. I highly reccommend it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Key notes is what I have for English and it is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I have "revise wise" and "Less Stress" for physics but neither of them are great, there are some good features in both books but the best thing to do is just use the book imo or as Validusername said above that Exam Edge revision book sounds pretty good and it's written by the same guy who did Real World Physics!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Most physics revision books are brutal. I suggest using the past papers, making your own revision notes, and this website: http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie

Learn off the yellow boxes in Dan O'Regan's book, or put them onto flash cards. I have a set of flash cards for definitions. Just write down the name of the phenomenon on one side and the definition on the other. Practise using the formulas for the mathematical questions on the papers, and most importantly: Analyse the frequency of the occurrences of which experiments came up in part A in the past 8 years, annihilate the ones which you think are the least likely to come up and study the ones which are, for example; Joule's Law, Variation of frequency of a string with length, Boyle's Law.

I'm convinced that the experiments that came up in the mock, or at least two of them are what's gonna come up on the actual paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

As most people said, Exam papers + Exam Edge is all you need for Physics.

As for English, I don't think there's any good ones for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

unknown13 wrote: »
    Key notes is what I have for English and it is very good.

Yes! Key notes all the way. It's actually very good. My English teacher is also in love with this book - no joke. She's said many a time that she "would marry key notes if she could!" And when she sees a line in it that she loves she exclaims "sometimes I just wish I could just kiss this book!" However, she's a little bit insane anyways :P I guess all the best English teachers are...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

The Comparative Study 2010 might be useful to you if your doing:

Option 1: Dancing at Lughnasa, Billy Elliot and Panther in the Basement.
    Option 2: Pride and Prejudice, Casablanca and Sive.
    Option 3: Wuthering Heights, The Playboy of the Western World and Il Postina (The Postman).
    It has notes and sample essays on all the modes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Revise Wise is great for chemistry and Irish. I'm gonna get revise wise for biology aswell (can anyone recommend this?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

'Exam Edge' by Dan O' Regan is an excellent revision book for physics. Dan O' Regan is also the same person who wrote the text book 'Real World Physics', which I use for school. It has exam questions and sample answers. It's explained very well and easy to follow. I highly reccommend it. :)

DOnt they say not to get a revision book written by the same person who writes your textbook?

zoom! wrote: »
    Revise Wise is great for chemistry and Irish. I'm gonna get revise wise for biology aswell (can anyone recommend this?)

Yes,i would defo reccommend it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

DOnt they say not to get a revision book written by the same person who writes your textbook?

Why would they say that? It makes a lot more sense to get one from the same author, for example in something like maths if you buy a revision book from a different author the notation used might be different to what your used to and may be confusing. The best revision book I have is Revise Wise: Chemistry which is written by the same guy who wrote the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I've tried a good few for english but I think the best one was KeyNotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I have Key Notes for English primarily because it covers all 3 of my comparative texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

I personally find it better though. I think it's more difficult and confusing when the methods used in revision books is different to the text books. Plus it's easier to follow this revision book since its layout is similar to the text book.
    Why would they say that? It makes a lot more sense to get one from the same author, for example in something like maths if you buy a revision book from a different author the notation used might be different to what your used to and may be confusing. The best revision book I have is Revise Wise: Chemistry which is written by the same guy who wrote the book.

^basically what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 coaster93

Rewise Wise Biology is a brilliant revision book,especially because my actual textbook is written by the same guy! it even has all the experiments summarised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Essentials Unfolded Biology is brilliant. Not really a book (Its very small but well summarised) but everythings in it:)

Advertisement