Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What provider to use for 3g?

• 25-03-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hey guys im about to buy a nokia n900 and am just wondering what is the best route to go for 3g on a pay as you go sim? I heard 3 had the best offers where you pay 10 euro for 5 gigs of data usage or something like that; I am living in Tralee Co. Kerry right now so another question i have is is there any way to check if il actually be able to get 3g speeds here and not just 2g
    any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Have you looked at threes coverage map?
    http://maps.three.ie/threeireland/Pages/Public/CoveragePublicPage.aspx

I use Mobile Surfing 1GB Add On from three for €9.99 per month.
    http://maps.three.ie/threeireland/Pages/Public/CoveragePublicPage.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i checked that map and there is light blue and dark blue on the map for mobile broadband does that mean i can get a 3g connection on my phone?

Yep you should be fine but note that map is a computer generated estimation of converge so it may not be 100% accurate.

Maybe someone on boards is in the same town as you and can help?

im currently with meteor but we dont get any 3g reception from them down here (at least i think we dont :) ) i think meteor are a bit slower than the rest to get 3g out there would i be right on that?
    another thing that 1 gb for 10 euro on 3 is it good for general browsing on a phone that is capable of full java? is there a higher alowance for like 20 euro or something?
    trying to sort all this out before i get the phone thanks for the help:)

im currently with meteor but we dont get any 3g reception from them down here (at least i think we dont :) ) i think meteor are a bit slower than the rest to get 3g out there would i be right on that?
    another thing that 1 gb for 10 euro on 3 is it good for general browsing on a phone that is capable of full java? is there a higher alowance for like 20 euro or something?
    trying to sort all this out before i get the phone thanks for the help:)

I've not used meteor so I don't really know about there converge.
    Yep I'm using using the net on my 900 every day (while in work) and I never come close to using up the 1GB. Also the speeds are nice and fast too.

There is higher allowances available from 3 but I'm not sure if that's for the 3 dongle only or not.

• Advertisement

and say if you use up the 1 gig before the month is out can you just pay another 10 euro for another gig? how do you top the data usage up? do you have to go into the 3 store every time you need it?

Yep you can just add a new allowance as and when needed. You can do it over your phone. (Note: if you were buying a three branded handset it would have a dedicated 3 online button, if not you can save a link to it on your favorites.

You can buy the topup's and internet in the shop or online at three.ie

ya im just going to buy a 3 sim and use that for my n900 sounds like the best way to go being able to top up the data allowence online is great, is there a method of checking how much data you have left to use or do you get a notification when its getting low?

Yes and yes.

You can do both and you also get a text about two days before your addon runs out.

Advertisement