Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I put a border collie on a long chain or is it cruel???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

I do apprecaite that fact, as i have never dealt with sheep (only cows) I do not know much about them, I can see the point and obviously don't want to annoy my neighbors

I have been told of a few dogs shot around here because they looked at sheep the wrong way (even a labrador)

You would not make that statement if you had seen the damage that dogs can do to a flock of sheep even if they only scare them it can result in miscarriages.
    If you had seen the results of a full attack with sheep walking around with flesh hanging off and and intestines sticking out.

All types of dogs have attacked sheep even "labradors"

If you live in the country and want to get a dog then build a good run with a decent house. No dog ever looks happy on the end of a chain![/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

Try to be realistic the OP is in a rented house so I doubt the landlord will let him put up a 6ft fence all around.
    Plus this would cost a lot more than a RUN which if long enough cannot be compared to a cage!

Yes the OP is in a rented house - fencing is a possibility only depending on landlord etc.

Perhaps OP should not get a dog at this time and wait until he is living in accomodation more suited to keeping quite an intelligent and active breed (collie).

Would agree with a run, but again depending on how long the dog will be spending in there - OP hasn't actually explicitly stated the exact time each day the dog will be unsupervised/ chained up etc

I was just chatting to my GF, Max time will be about 4.5 Hours at a stretch, Is this too long???

I also head down the country to a farm every two weeks or so (for the weekend), Would he be ok to drive down with me (about three hours) if i stop along the way,

He would have 130 Acres there and other dogs also

Even if the OP is working 8 hours and didnt have the girlfriend, it wouldnt exactly be 7 hours tied up, it would be 3, then some play time, then 4. Quite different in my opinion. But with the information we've been given im under the impression that the girlfriend will be around during the day so further cutting the 3hour and 4hour sessions!

Obviously fencing in the land would be much better, but maybe thats not an option for OP.

Again, OP never said dog would be tied up all day!!

OP hasn't confirmed the actual time the dog would be chained up.
    You seem to be reducing the time to 3/4 hours based on what?

Just to note, there is a fence around 4 foot high all around the front of the house from the last girl here (a small dog), There would be no issue raising this to say 6 foot

• Advertisement

ste2006 wrote: »
    I was just chatting to my GF, Max time will be about 4.5 Hours at a stretch, Is this too long???

I also head down the country to a farm every two weeks or so (for the weekend), Would he be ok to drive down with me (about three hours) if i stop along the way,

He would have 130 Acres there and other dogs also

Sorry ignore my last post, was cross-posted with this one.

Ste you seem to be a reasonable person who is genuinely concerned about how the potential dog will fare being tied up. My gut feeling is even 4.5 hours is too long. I think you yourself are worried too, hence posting on this forum.

A former housemate of mine had two dog (small terriers ) that she kept in the house while she worked and they slept all day - literally wouldn't raise their heads if it was raining :rolleyes:
    Had they been chained up outside I know for a fact they would have been constant barkers - unhappy and discontent.

Please just ask yourself are you really in a position to have a dog right now? If not, why not wait a few years until you can organise accomodation that suits the needs of the dog better ? Remember dogs are a long commitment - 15+ years etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rctn1904

I had a dog that became vicious as a result of being tied up.
    My next dog I built a simple pen/run with plastic coated wire and with a hole into the garage and a walled section in the garage. She could go in and out. I also planted a nice hedge at one side of the pen and she lived happily there for 14 years -remember the investment is for a long time. When we were home she was out in the garden, once she got trained to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nichola seaver

I have a collie aswell, there great dogs. In my opinion i dont agree with dogs been tied up. also if its on ur mind already u might feel guilty about it if u decide to go ahead and do so, U mentioned u had a big garden which is great for the dog but not if he is tied up. I think u should try fence up the area and let the dog roam as they wish, as they say a happy dog is a happy owner.

Thanks again for all the advice,

Last thing, Would it be ok to bring the dog on a car trip every two weeks or so to the country, Trip is about three hours but i would stop on the way with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Pretty disappointed that no one has even suggested training your dog so it doesn't look twice at sheep i have a German pointer and all though its a gun dog its also very much a family pet and if she was within five yards of a sheep it will not go near it.. If bought as a pup and trained properly there should be know need for it to look twice at one. A run would be a good idea when your not in. Chains drive dogs mad. Once regularly walked and exercised it should have a no reason to leave the confines of your garden. Dog that are left to roam free are 9/10 bought for children and no time or effort has been put into training it and never get exercised which really annoys me. Make a good choice: a dog that likes an active life style but is also happy for some down time. Labradors, German pointer are all good active dogs and remember the extra cost in food, vets, kennels time for walks every morning evening. If after that your happy welcome to dog ownership you wont regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

elius wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed that no one has even suggested training your dog so it doesn't look twice at sheep i have a German pointer and all though its a gun dog its also very much a family pet and if she was within five yards of a sheep it will not go near it.

That's fine if you're a sheep, but the problem isn't controlling your dog near a sheep. The problem is your dog wandering. Whether or not your dog would hurt a fly, farmers don't wait until a dog runs for a sheep - it's not unusual for an unaccompanied dog trespassing on a property to be shot.

Yes the above is exactly my worry,

I know if the dog wanders into any of the fields around here on his own he will be shot, even if he has no interest in sheep,

That's fine if you're a sheep, but the problem isn't controlling your dog near a sheep. The problem is your dog wandering. Whether or not your dog would hurt a fly, farmers don't wait until a dog runs for a sheep - it's not unusual for an unaccompanied dog trespassing on a property to be shot.

Anyone any opinion on the below,

Would it be ok to bring the dog on a car trip every two weeks or so to the country, Trip is about three hours but i would stop on the way with him????

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

don't forget dogs are denning animals and like small comfortable spaces - especially when their master isn't around. he'd sleep all day indoors (once you exercise in the morning).

No one has suggested getting 2 dogs? (although I hated that suggestion when I was looking ;-)

A dog left alone with a large area will pace and get anxious. They are rubbish at entertaining themselves.

If I leave mine in the back garden for 5 mins she comes to the door looking to get in. The garden is just another room of the house to her.

2 dogs in a garden would work better I'd say / or keep 1 dog indoors.

my2cents - hope its some help with your decision.

Thanks Howitzer,

What do people think, would two dogs keep each other happier during the day or would the space be just too small for them????

Howitzer wrote: »
    don't forget dogs are denning animals and like small comfortable spaces - especially when their master isn't around. he'd sleep all day indoors (once you exercise in the morning).

No one has suggested getting 2 dogs? (although I hated that suggestion when I was looking ;-)

A dog left alone with a large area will pace and get anxious. They are rubbish at entertaining themselves.

If I leave mine in the back garden for 5 mins she comes to the door looking to get in. The garden is just another room of the house to her.

2 dogs in a garden would work better I'd say / or keep 1 dog indoors.

my2cents - hope its some help with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Anyone any opinion on the below,

Would it be ok to bring the dog on a car trip every two weeks or so to the country, Trip is about three hours but i would stop on the way with him????

You just need to build up the time in the car with the dog. Feed him treats so he learns to love the car etc.
    We took ours round the block a few weekends in the car and tossed in treats as she figured it all out. Now she just nods off in the car - no problem.

We used to stop in the local supermarket carpark and 'hangout' in the car - showing its a fun place to be and nothing to woryy about etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Howitzer wrote: »
    You just need to build up the time in the car with the dog. Feed him treats so he learns to love the car etc.
    We took ours round the block a few weekends in the car and tossed in treats as she figured it all out. Now she just nods off in the car - no problem.

We used to stop in the local supermarket carpark and 'hangout' in the car - showing its a fun place to be and nothing to woryy about etc.

agree with this, and dont feed your dog before long journeys as he may get sick with the food in his tummy on top of nerves.

There are loads of mouth sprays, tablets etc that you can get to calm your dog, especially for long journeys, but ive no experience of them, so not sure if they actually work, perhaps someone here has used them in the past?

Weekends at the farm sound like great fun for your dog!!! Just make sure he's very good at recall. Collies are extremely intelligent dogs, so if you dedicate yourself to training him, you'll have a genius dog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Thats why everyone should be prepared to walk the god at least twice a day. And the dog should be trained not to leave the garden of the house. unless instructed to do so. As said though when your out a run will be more than good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

just a few points to note on these tie outs - I had to use them when we stayed at my in-laws for a few months before buying - their garden was impossible to fence off due to the vegetation there, I tried, Tyson broke through or dug under everything, anyway

1) they can get tangled up, on anything and everything that's lying on the floor, twigs, sticks, and if you got plants forget them, will wrap round trees as well

2) once they are a month or so old, they become weathered, at this stage they can become unattached easy at the clasp and also Tyson managed to snap/chew through about three of them

3) biggest problem is the dog getting tangled up in them, did happen now and again, personally i would only use them for supervised short periods of time i.e. if you have people/workmen round and need to keep the dog away from them

i'd go for a dog run, in my new house we gave over the side of the house to Tyson, he had a kennel and about 15ft by 25ft of pebbled area to run in, now we have the four i'm giving over part of the back yard to them, doubling the space as well as a 10x8 foot shed (which has a dog hatch) and two kennels, a rain shelter and ton of toys/footballs - they also are walked morning for 30min and eveing for 1hour

What do people think, would two dogs keep each other happier during the day or would the space be just too small for them????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just to note, proper Collies NEED to be worked constantly. A few walks a day + hiking at the weekend really isn't enough. Unless you get a cross breed, with something a little calmer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Personally i wouldnt get 2 as it seems like you arent really even set up for one. Also 2 dogs together can get up to more mischief than 1, so if one decides to run off or get out the other will follow.

Ok, just edited this as you go hiking etc.

Just to say, that a dog wouldnt be able for a lot of exercise like this until they are over a year old as puppies cannot be over exercised until they are fully grown.

how about a year old rescue ? http://www.irishanimals.ie/collies_homes.html

i'd love Tayto Tayto
    My name is Tayto .I am a 1 year old Collie / Lab mix boy . Friendly / affectionate / good with other dogs / initial basic training / eager to please / nice even temperament .No children under 10 years . Spacious and secure garden /yard / radio fence area required with 2 x 30 minutes daily walks . Neutered / flea`d and wormed / vaccinated / microchipped . Carrick Dog Shelter , Lisdoonan , Carrickmacross , Co Monaghan .Open Mon to Sat 11am to 4pm . 042 9664236 / 087 9634121 . For all shelter adoption requirements please visit www.carrickboardingkennels.ie

101_Tayto%201.jpg

Yes a rescue one would be nice, Would they be very wild or would they be ok,

I have heard of a few people who got rescue dogs and could never train them or get them to be obidient as they were treated badly before,

Is this common, Would a shelter know if the dog is nice, calm etc

A Collie / Lab mix would be lovely :-)

if you go to a rescue a lot of the dogs are fostered out to homes so you can then get a good idea of the temprament

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure if this was suggested already.

I have a border collie, she hates being in the house (will try to jump out closed windows etc.) she is perfectly fine in a run.

It's not the run they don't like dogs simply don't like being left alone, a dog indoors being left alone will act the same as a dog in a run being left alone.

I think a moveable dog run OP is a great compramise.
    They are pricey but you don't have the dog yet so there is no reason why you cannot get the run first and have it set up.
    The run is something you can take with you, can increase in size as time goes on and can move around the garden.

cilldare.ie are the runs I use and have lasted for years and are still going strong, our whole garden wasn't fenced off origionally so while we were getting the money together for fencing we got a small run then bought more panels and chop and change things depending on the season.

You can make it larger also buy buying a small shed rather than a kennel, with a dog flop popped into it and the run attached.
    Collies love their comfort, when our collie gets tired she'll put herself to bed and both dogs will go into the run straight away.
    If you make the run a nice place to be it's a den just like a crate is a den for house dogs.

Younger collies need to keep going however collies love routine, this doesn't mean you have to be up a mountain with them 24/7 though. Eg. If they know they get out in the morning at 8am then another walkies in the afternoon and a good walk int he evening they will pretty much sleep or just keep an eye out when you're gone like any other dog will.

Saying that if you have them out for 5 hours then put them to bed, let them out 10 mins later they can act like they've not been let out in days.

They're a great dog but deffo. need a secure garden so only options really are really high fences, dog run or keep indoors.

I was looking at my garden so i can fence it off at about 5 foot high all around, The garden space would be about 15M x 3M and i would build a kennel for it in this also,

I am now looking at perhaps a Collie / Lab cross from a shelter, Anyone any thoughts on dogs from a shelter or will they be fairly wild etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Dogs from a shelter are absoloutely fine once you get to know the dog. The shelter staff can give you information on the dogs personality and whether it would suit your home, something a breeder who hands you a pup cannot do. Not all shelter dogs have been mistreated, some are strays or have been surrendered in by people unable to care for them. The staff will let you know if there are any behavioural problems that need addressing. Usually these 'problems' just need a bit of time and patience.

I have two rescue dogs an they are the best decision we ever made. Wouln't give them up for anything. One of them had a few issues when he first came to us, mainly from fear. Now he's happy as larry, a completely different dog.

Collies and collie crosses are all too common a sight in pounds and shelters. There are dozens of them. I would definitely recommend checking out a few places. They really are the most wonderful dogs! If you need any websites to check out just pm me. A collie cross would probably be best for you. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I dont think you read the post properly, he said

"i will be out during the day, home for lunch and then not home till 6 again.

My GF works odd hours so would be around a lot when im not so i think he should be ok for company.

I do a lot of mountian biking & hiking so would bring him out the weekends and evening doing that."

Between the OP coming home at lunch, and his girlfriend being around during the day (i assume bringing the dog inside) the dog wont be alone for long.

Also, the dog will be getting lots of exercise with the OP evenings!!
    the electronic dog fence would be ideal in your case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

goat2 wrote: »
    the electronic dog fence would be ideal in your case

Please dont use an electronic fence!

You seem to be sorted if you have an area that can be fenced in.

If you do find that your dog is happy chilling on the couch, then you should be fine leaving the dog inside as long as your not leaving it much longer than four hours. A walk and a bit of play before you leave the dog would be the best thing to do.

if you find that your dogs happier outside, then leave it outside (as long as the area definately is secure).

A lot of stuff will depend on the dog so wait until you meet the dog and test the waters before making your decision.

Advertisement