Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has boards.ie influenced your decision to buy or sell?

Options
  • 25-03-2010 10:25pm

Have threads on the housing market changed you mind?

Has boards.ie influenced your decision to buy? 38 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    28% 11 votes
    other (comment in thread)
    71% 27 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Both Boards and The Property Pin have very much so in my case. I bought a house in London in 2006 and was pretty convinced that it was a great buy. I had been waiting for a price crash for years but around 04 I decided it was never going to happen and that I'd been kidding myself for years and should just accept that high pries was just how things were. And as prices in London were "cheap" when compared to Dublin buying there seemed like a fantastic idea. I really thought that people talking about a property crash were as naive as I thought I had been up until about '04.:o

Thankfully I started reading through the pretty epic property crash thread in '07 and realised that there were some pretty good arguments in favour of the crash. Then I followed a link in someone's sig to the Pin and I never looked back. It culminated in me selling my house here before prices started to tank in the UK, which I'm so grateful for because neither of us wanted to be stuck here forever.

I literally feel like scales have fallen off my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Have threads on the housing market changed you mind?

The thread's on here haven't helped changed my mind but they are very interesting and certainly help information wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No, I've never even thought of buying as prices are still insanely high here. Boards has just reinforced that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

No, I've never even thought of buying as prices are still insanely high here. Boards has just reinforced that.

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

iguana wrote: »
    Then I followed a link in someone's sig to the Pin and I never looked back.

Wasn't me by any chance? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Yes and no. It along with the pin and others like McWilliams etc have been a huge help and certainly all factors in reaffirming things I suspected and feared already about prices and the property bubble. So ya boards has been an influence but just one along with many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Not boards, the propertypin however helped confirm my decision to sell an apartment 2 years ago.

I got burned badly, but it'd be much worse now.

The pin has some great information, it's much meatier than boards.ie on this issue. I wish I'd found it 2 years earlier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

Neither Boards nor property pin (messier) influenced my decision. A lack of what I would deem standard did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes and no. I'd never be one for letting what's posted on an internet message board influence my thinking but I'd certainly take on board what I'm reading and either accept or reject it. It was more the Property Pin than here that made me feel happier in myself for continuing to rent rather than give in to pressure to buy. I don't read it so much anymore because it's too depressing but it was refreshing to see people debunking what the vested interests were saying in the media and to point out how we were on the one-way track to exactly what has happened re. the banks etc.

graphh.png
    Typical property bubble graph. Of course Ireland is different :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

Sold 3 months ago at 85% of June 2004 purchase price. Got 98% of asking price.
    Decision was partly due to a protracted period of reading here for probably 12 months plus (used to be blast05 but stopped working ?!).

I am completely bearish now on the future ... now to try and help get over a loss of 45K (not an issue .... presents an opportunity to avoid paying capital gains taxes from share dealings over the enxt 5 years !!) but more so convinced that we are in for a major second dip once interest rates start their climb and once reality sinks in among the public that the fiscal actions taken to date by the government in the last budget barely mark the start of what will need to be done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement