Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW E60 Enging oil level too high WTF

• 25-03-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I was going through i drive yesterday and spotted this in the service section.Car say it has 3000 more to go for oil change and service similar to go (1st check up) only 25008km on clock .any idea before i bring to stealer.checked dip stick and seems to be a bit above max but could be catching of pipe going through to get reading.dont know how long its been on but would not think to long as i am always flicking through checking things.eek.gifeek.gif
    cheers
    Ps E60 520d m sport havent put oil init since bought new!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the car might have been topped up at some stage without leaving it to level out completely, or didnt wait long enough for the oil to go down into the engine etc.

The service indicator sounds about about right, if you have it since out of the package and not had its oil changed then its probably best to do it as soon as possible, the first oil change is the most important.

changing the oil is the same as any other motor really, you'll still have the warning in the system though and to clear it you need to turn the key to red lights (dont fire the engine),reset the trip, then hold in the trip computer button until ya get a triangle warning symbol, with that showing you can press the button to cycle through the various service indicators and to reset them you need to hold in the trip button again, takes about 5 seconds and it'll show "Reset ?" and then you release the button and hold it in again for another 5 to confirm, once thats done you'll see the service interval reset to something like 40'000.

the same process is used for plugs, brakes, filters etc etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

Thanks
    , i brought it to stealers and got it sorted,booking in service couple weeks aswell.dont know exactly what they did but ok for now ,will keep an i on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Make sure you're checking the oil on level ground - double check the level on the idrive, if possible. You should be able to check the level with the engine running and the engine off (it may take up to 3 minutes to register a reading)

Assuming you have the oil at the correct level now, keep an eye on it - if it starts rising, you may be getting diesel into your sump which you would want sorted before any warranty runs out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

Make sure you're checking the oil on level ground - double check the level on the idrive, if possible. You should be able to check the level with the engine running and the engine off (it may take up to 3 minutes to register a reading)

Assuming you have the oil at the correct level now, keep an eye on it - if it starts rising, you may be getting diesel into your sump which you would want sorted before any warranty runs out;)

cheers will be checking every few days till service,09 so have sometime left on warranty TF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There was a thread on here about an 08 520d with the problem of the oil level continually increasing. Dont now how it finished up but sounds similar

• Advertisement
Advertisement