Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two months rent in advance AND deposit

Options
  • 25-03-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭

Is this normal? I have rented now for almost 8 years and I have never had to do this! The house we are looking to rent is for long term, asked the landlord for a two year lease, as we are building and won't have the site sorted until then. When I saw the house it was perfect. Landlord said he won't expect us to sign a lease :confused::confused::confused: but does expect two months rent in advance at start of april and deposit which is equal to one months rent!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Doesn't look like your landlord is legit with not having you sign a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

yeah, I was thinking that, He also asked us not to apply for the rent allowance from our end of year tax credits! He said if we did that he would have to charge us a little more!
    I don't mind him not being registered if he was a bit decent, like that is day light robbery, two months in advance! How can you be guaranteed you are going to get it back! So annoyed, because I fell in love with this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

In America this is the norm, you pay your first month, your last month and a months security deposit.

But this seems that the landlord just want the money, and seems a bit dodgy with no lease!.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

He also asked us not to apply for the rent allowance from our end of year tax credits! He said if we did that he would have to charge us a little more!

He's not paying tax on the rental income so. Lol, can't believe he came out and blatently told you that! AND 2 months rent up front!!! Stay well away. Clearly a charlatan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Mention PRTB registration to him and gauge his reaction.

Then ask for a rent reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

She Devil wrote: »
    Is this normal? I have rented now for almost 8 years and I have never had to do this! The house we are looking to rent is for long term, asked the landlord for a two year lease, as we are building and won't have the site sorted until then. When I saw the house it was perfect. Landlord said he won't expect us to sign a lease :confused::confused::confused: but does expect two months rent in advance at start of april and deposit which is equal to one months rent!!!
    keep clear
    he does not want to sign anything
    one months rent is normal, red flag
    find someone there are plenty honest decent people out there, who will be glad to sign and agreement and take one months rent along with deposit
    pay by cheque, keep everything traceable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭__________

I'd stay well clear, sure the lack of rent relief alone should knock about €100/month off the price anyway. But because he's not registered as a landlord if anything goes wrong it will be much more difficult to sort out.

That may be "normal" in the usa, but we are in ireland and 2 months rent up front + deposit is definitely not the norm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

He's not paying tax on the rental income so. Lol, can't believe he came out and blatently told you that! AND 2 months rent up front!!! Stay well away. Clearly a charlatan!

the taxman would have a field day with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 posgoofy

This is what I gave my landlord however Im dealing with a management company and got receipts and a contract so...I wouldn't give him anything without a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

No harm in asking if hes with the PRTB from this or any landlord - it would be the first question I'd ask, in fact. If not, drop it there. Telling you he'd raise your rent if you claimed tax credits at the end of the year is outright illegal however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    No harm in asking if hes with the PRTB from this or any landlord - it would be the first question I'd ask, in fact. If not, drop it there. Telling you he'd raise your rent if you claimed tax credits at the end of the year is outright illegal however.

You can't be with the PRTB until you have a tenant to register. No point registering if the place is vacant or you havent rented it out before, who's going to be fighting with you?

I'd stay well clear of this landlord, doesnt sound like he'll do anything by the book which can lead to trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Two months advance rent + one month deposit is hardly crazy. It's on the higher end of it, but I would expect one month advance + one month deposit to be the standard

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

28064212 wrote: »
    Two months advance rent + one month deposit is hardly crazy. It's on the higher end of it, but I would expect one month advance + one month deposit to be the standard
    Agreed. Two months advance rent + one month deposit is rare, but it happens sometimes. Of course some landlords confuse if with paying in advance rather than in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Cathooo wrote: »
    You can't be with the PRTB until you have a tenant to register. No point registering if the place is vacant or you havent rented it out before, who's going to be fighting with you?

I'd stay well clear of this landlord, doesnt sound like he'll do anything by the book which can lead to trouble.

You're right about the landlord.

The point about mentioning PRTB registration is just to see what they say about it. Its a trick i used on an estate agent before taking a place. I got some excuse about it being too much paperwork and it was up to the landlord to sort. That was right after she just told me that the agency would handle everything. I kept that as an ace card which did need to be played much later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Cathooo wrote: »
    You can't be with the PRTB until you have a tenant to register.
    Indeed, should have said "he or she registers with the PRTB"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

... So annoyed, because I fell in love with this house.
    Never fall in love with someone else's partner/house!

2 months rent in advance is above normal as everyone is saying. However, its not that big a deal if you can afford it up front - you have a month extra rent free at the end , kinda. Its the lack of a signed lease, never mind PRTB registration, that I'd run a million miles away from. Without a document, you have nothing to argue with if thing go sour. Things can always go sour.

BTW, asking for a two year lease gives you little other than maybe bargaining power for a lower monthly rate which appears to have not been discussed. After you are in six months, you have tenancy rights anyway. All you'd have done is committed yourself to the rented property for an extra 12 months above normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

When I moved into my existing place at the end of August I had to pay a deposit and then one months rent, the landlord is registered with the PRTB otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with him if he was not tax compliant, my brother rented in Galway a few years and his landlord got snared by Revenue for tax evasion when my brother claimed his rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Thanks guys, Ah couldn't help falling in love with it, its brand new, its in my home town and we are due a baby soon so it is perfect for all that!
    As we are having a baby I don't want to spend stupid money to begin with, so we are going to try to bargain him down AND sign a lease! I'll draft it up if I have to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks guys, Ah couldn't help falling in love with it, its brand new, its in my home town and we are due a baby soon so it is perfect for all that!
    You don't love this place, its the hormones talking. ;) Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I actually paid 6 weeks deposit. Sounds very fishy though. Leases were not common 7 or 8 years ago but nowadays are usual - generally for the landlords benefit though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement