Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future proofing house

Options
  • 25-03-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,

I am about to embark on the rennovation of an end terrace house, close to town centre which I will be renting out.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice to offer?

The house will be insulated and drylined and pretty much everything else will be done - doors, skirting, architrave, moving kitchinlocation and putting in a new one/ moving bathroom upstairs to improve layout(new one), putting in a new skylight in flat roof extension area to rear to imorove light, solid fuel stove instead of open fire for living/kitchen area, energy effecient boiler.

Basically, I want to do this house to a good standard but am very conscious of costs...any tips on reducing costs appreciated?:confused:

The house will also have to be fully furnished.

I also want to try to future proof the house as far as possible so what needs to be considered here after the insulation box has been ticked? I want to try to make sure this house will still be attractive to rent in 10/20 years.

Should TV points be put in each bedroom or will this be needed with the advent of digital TV? Any other ideas on this front?

I have had a family friend price the job and am waiting for him to come back with price..

All ideas and advice appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

lotus1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Should TV points be put in each bedroom or will this be needed with the advent of digital TV? Any other ideas on this front?

I know houses with Ethernet ports all over, and all they use is wireless, and similarly, houses with co-ax connections everywhere for the TV, but have had to drill holes everywhere to get sky in.

Best bet I reckon is to put in some sort of ducting, with a few ropes, so whatever fancy cables come out on a few years time, they can be pulled through the house with the rope without ripping up the floors and walls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agreed with aboev, ducting will be your best bet as at least this way if you instlal sky for example you can just access the wall and run the cable rather than having to do damage.

Advertisement