Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf 1.6 Sport or Ford Focus I.6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I like my VW's but the Focus is a better looking car for me. I think its a bit bigger in terms of the boot then the Golf too. Probably handles better, but I dont know what your priorities are from the car so I wont assume you want a race car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ford every time, there really is no contest.

Be aware OP that the diesels from 08 onwards have 156 road tax(for both cars), ergo the 1.6 will be saleproof in a market awash with diesels come resale time a few years down the line.

Petrols will offer superior reliability, no Dual Mass Flywheels or complicated common rail injectors or turbos to worry about though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The 1.6 in the Golf is rubbish, underpowered and gussles fuel, I don't know what the Focus is like, you should consider going diesel in either 1.9/2 Golf or 1.6/1.8 Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Ford every time, there really is no contest.

Be aware OP that the diesels from 08 onwards have 156 road tax(for both cars), ergo the 1.6 will be saleproof in a market awash with diesels come resale time a few years down the line.

Petrols will offer superior reliability, no Dual Mass Flywheels or complicated common rail injectors or turbos to worry about though.

Hi thanks, can you clarify? Both cars are petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Modern diesels are very complicated beasts and sadly a lot of the complicated stuff (the stuff that gives them more power than petrols in some cases, makes them nearly as quiet as petrols and of course the mpg) in them gives trouble.

For example, manuals have Dual Mass Flywheels(no matter what make you choose), these are regarded as consumables and typically fail every 60-100,000 miles and are over a 1000 to repair, you're supposed to change the clutch too when the DMF fails so it's more like a 1500 job.

Then you have injectors, turbos, swirl flaps and DPFs. All expensive jobs if they go(if the swirl flaps go the engine is a write off), some makes are more likely to cause trouble in these areas than others.

Ford and VW diesels are usually fine, the 1.8 is better than the 1.6 in the Ford and the 1.9 is better than the 2.0 for the VW. The 1.9 is old school diesel and doesn't have a lot of the complicated technology and so is practically bulletproof, but also explains why it sounds shall we say very diesely:)!

Now petrols of course do give trouble but are far less likely to do so and when petrols go wrong it is far cheaper to repair them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

mothel wrote: »

between those two id go for the focus without a doubt.
    newer car, much better looking, more space and more fun to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'd prefer the golf. Nice leather interior on it too. It's a matter of preference in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd buy neither of those particular cars to be honest. The Golf is overpriced which is the norm in this country, even the leather interior would not sway me to pay that kind of money for a 3 year old one.

The Focus is also overpriced, it's petrol and costs €447 to tax for the year on the new tax system. Come resale time you will find it very difficult to shift it. Demand has dropped so much for petrol Focus since the new tax system came into place that Ford have actually stopped selling them here now.

Here is a diesel model for similar money, this would be my choice:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201002196513449

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Drove both of these when my gf was getting a car, got a 07 Focus in the end. The focus is quite nice to drive but in my books it does not "feel" as much as a car as a golf - not that golf is THE car but it just has better gearbox, controls, materials i think.

But - as someone said above don't buy either of these, certainly not at the prices advertised. What I would suggest as a sensible option is to get a 05 or 06 focus (almost same shape) in very good condition reasonably low milage for like 6-7K, drive that for a year or so, if you don't like it sell it on for like a grand less then you bought it for, if you like it keep it for like 2 years. You may have your mind up already what you like to spend but that is what I would do (and advised my gf to do....). You really will not feel that much difference in driving them unless you can't BARE it says 05 or 06 on your reg...

Whatever you do do not get a 1.4 focus - horrible horrible engine

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Captainspeed. - "ergo the 1.6 will be saleproof" Do you mean by this that resale will be difficult or easy? Not quite sure what saleproof means?:o

I never really thought about the deiesel/petrol options. I didn't realise new deisel engines are more expensive to maintain, even though they are cheaper to run regarding fuel and m tax. Also worried about resale of Ford petrol in a couple of years. I certainly have a lot more to consider than I first thought.

Thank you all, and if you have any more advice I'd welcome it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Captainspeed. - "ergo the 1.6 will be saleproof" Do you mean by this that resale will be difficult or easy? Not quite sure what saleproof means?:o

I never really thought about the deiesel/petrol options. I didn't realise new deisel engines are more expensive to maintain, even though they are cheaper to run regarding fuel and m tax. Also worried about resale of Ford petrol in a couple of years. I certainly have a lot more to consider than I first thought.

Thank you all, and if you have any more advice I'd welcome it.

Saleproof = very very very hard to sell/ get rid of the car........

when you would be selling that petrol focus on, you will be competing with other buyers selling similarly priced diesel 08 cars, considering the massive difference in motor tax.... no one will want to buy the petrol car.

Advertisement