Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highest wages for unskilled labour?

Options
  • 25-03-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking to myself where could one go to make money. Wouldn't have to be fun or anything, just good money.
    I wonder about the scandinavian countries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Very high taxes in Skandinavia.
    Maybe an off-shore oilrigg somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

EI111 wrote: »
    I was just thinking to myself where could one go to make money. Wouldn't have to be fun or anything, just good money.
    I wonder about the scandinavian countries.

Republic of Ireland.

You'll have the highest net income in relation to pay (thats if you can find an unskilled labour job)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Republic of Ireland.

You'll have the highest net income in relation to pay (thats if you can find an unskilled labour job)
    Well theres a problem.
    Maybe I should have said: where are there high paying jobs available.
    I'm sure there must be a lot available in the wilderness of different countries doing something that there is low labour supply for.
    Offshore oilrig sounds promising, I wonder how I could go about finding a job on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Oilrigs aren't really unskilled labour. Fishing jobs might be more in your line, as in a deck hand or something. Unless you're a hot female in which case I can think of many different options ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was just about to say fishing and fish factory* jobs in Norway. Not pleasant, from what I hear, but Norwegian taxes aren''t as high as in other parts of Scandanaiva.

*I know it's not a factory, so to speak, but where the gut the things! The knife go in... the guts come out... that's' what [japanese corporation name unknown] is all about'.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭haven27

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Was just about to say fishing and fish factory* jobs in Norway. Not pleasant, from what I hear, but Norwegian taxes aren''t as high as in other parts of Scandanaiva.

Be careful thinking that you can just come to Norway and find a job easy in a factory, Norwegian companies tend to prioritise Norwegian speakers before anyone else even if the job is just unskilled labour so it's slow going to get jobs here. Most people say you're better off to get in with an international company at first.

In terms of the money in Norway looking better, it does on paper but just be prepared for everything you buy to be more expensive then Ireland especially alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

haven27 wrote: »
    Be careful thinking that you can just come to Norway and find a job easy in a factory, Norwegian companies tend to prioritise Norwegian speakers before anyone else even if the job is just unskilled labour so it's slow going to get jobs here. Most people say you're better off to get in with an international company at first.

In terms of the money in Norway looking better, it does on paper but just be prepared for everything you buy to be more expensive then Ireland especially alcohol.

Your right there.But since most norwegians have english as second language i dont think that will be an issue.
    But if any interest in working in Norway you can information about taxations here.

http://www.skatteetaten.no/en/International-pages/

And for offshoreworkers like myself who work 6 months away from either Norway or Ireland.(183 days or more away)
    Meaning that we are not working more than 30 days on either Norwegian or irish sector,onlypay 15 percent taxes.
    But if paying full tax in Norway single you probably have to pay 40-50 percent depending on earnings.

Your right there.But since most norwegians have english as second language i dont think that will be an issue.

I don't know about that, don't get me wrong norwegians are excellent at english but they do tend to prefer norwegian speakers above others, maybe because of the low unemployment rate and that they have a choice in who to hire. But obviously this depends on skill level and who no matter what language is most suited to the role.

As for the tax, you get a deduction as a foreigner working in norway for the first two years of 10% if you are living here permanently.

I don't know about that, don't get me wrong norwegians are excellent at english but they do tend to prefer norwegian speakers above others, maybe because of the low unemployment rate and that they have a choice in who to hire. But obviously this depends on skill level and who no matter what language is most suited to the role.

As for the tax, you get a deduction as a foreigner working in norway for the first two years of 10% if you are living here permanently.

That''s definintely the case in Denmark with Danish speakers, but I've heard exactly the opposite about Norway FROM Norwegians...

That''s definintely the case in Denmark with Danish speakers, but I've heard exactly the opposite about Norway FROM Norwegians...

Well if you where living on Mars the norwegian tax authorities would have found you lol.
    But theres a difference from the Norwegian tax system to the Danish,Swedish etc.
    I work on a Norwegian offshore boat and have both Danish and swedes working here,so looking at the systems it looks like the swedes have the best taxsystem with less tax to pay.
    And i dont think language is a problem in Norway if you speak english.

• Advertisement

Yeah i totally agree with you there about the language.
    But like any other EU country(Norways part of the EEC and follows the same rules),they have to put a add out for new jobs troughout the hole of EU,and like you said it depends offcourse on who they find the most qualified for the job.
    And then the language isnt a issue thats what i was trying to say earlier.
    But it all depends on their trade and qualifications.I work on a offshore vessel and we have Norwegians,Danish,Swedish,Faroe Islands,Polish
    working here.And 80% of the time we are working on the UK sector.
    And i know quite a few Irish working in Norway,in Offshorerelated jobs.

Well if you where living on Mars the norwegian tax authorities would have found you lol.
    But theres a difference from the Norwegian tax system to the Danish,Swedish etc.
    I work on a Norwegian offshore boat and have both Danish and swedes working here,so looking at the systems it looks like the swedes have the best taxsystem with less tax to pay.

Was referring to the hiring-Norwegian-speaking bit. Openly admit I know very little about the tax systems.

Was referring to the hiring-Norwegian-speaking bit. Openly admit I know very little about the tax systems.

Yeah dont think language will be an issue though,not if you are speaking english anyway.
    There is alot of Yanks,Limeys and Paddys in Norway lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

OK where might be a good place to look for an offshore job in norway?

EI111 wrote: »
    OK where might be a good place to look for an offshore job in norway?

On a rig or a offshorevessel.
    Whats your background or qualifications?

And then the language isnt a issue thats what i was trying to say earlier.
    But it all depends on their trade and qualifications.I work on a offshore vessel and we have Norwegians,Danish,Swedish,Faroe Islands,Polish
    working here.And 80% of the time we are working on the UK sector.
    And i know quite a few Irish working in Norway,in Offshorerelated jobs.

I totally agree if you want to work in Norway oil/offshore are more used to international workers, most of the Irish I know here in Norway are working in that sector.

I think you were talking about the offshore jobs part and I was talking about going for unskilled jobs in Norwegian based companies (e.g. factories etc.) where you might be up against a lot of Norwegian candidates and they want Norwegian for the role even if it might not necessarily really require it :)

I think I just wanted to prepare the OP for the idea that Norway is not as easy a country to find work in as it might seem outside offshore related/international english speaking companies.

I totally agree if you want to work in Norway oil/offshore are more used to international workers, most of the Irish I know here in Norway are working in that sector.

I think you were talking about the offshore jobs part and I was talking about going for unskilled jobs in Norwegian based companies (e.g. factories etc.) where you might be up against a lot of Norwegian candidates and they want Norwegian for the role even if it might not necessarily really require it :)

I think I just wanted to prepare the OP for the idea that Norway is not as easy a country to find work in as it might seem outside offshore related/international english speaking companies.

I dont think even working in a norwegian company,factory etc that the language will be a problem.Norway have a lot of Polish and other nationalities working in their factories these days,so i think you should give it a try.
    If not you have the option of gettin free lessons in Norwegian.
    Thats given to all non non residents that comes to the country:)

Anyway you can take a look at this page and take it from there:)

http://www.nav.no/82986.cms

Or even this http://www.nav.no/NAV+EURES+in+English/Work+in+Norway/Selected+professions+and+industries/85769.cms

Good luck

If not you have the option of gettin free lessons in Norwegian.
    Thats given to all non non residents that comes to the country:)

Good luck

That part is now only true of non EU/EEA immigrants unfortunately (think it changed a few years back), anyone from the EU doesn't have to take part in Norwegian lessons and doesn't get them free, I have looked into it since my norsk needs a lot of work :D At least I'm working over here so is not so urgent a need to learn it.

That part is now only true of non EU/EEA immigrants unfortunately (think it changed a few years back), anyone from the EU doesn't have to take part in Norwegian lessons and doesn't get them free, I have looked into it since my norsk needs a lot of work :D At least I'm working over here so is not so urgent a need to learn it.

thats probably right.
    I havent been over in Norway for a while either,since i am settled in ireland Now.
    But still i think you will get far with just english anyway.
    So what are you into and where in Norway?

thats probably right.
    I havent been over in Norway for a while either,since i am settled in ireland Now.
    But still i think you will get far with just english anyway.
    So what are you into and where in Norway?

I'm going to agree to disagree on the English thing :) I'm working in IT in Oslo at the moment and living a bit outside it.

• Advertisement

I'm going to agree to disagree on the English thing :) I'm working in IT in Oslo at the moment and living a bit outside it.

Ok guess thats in your own experience.
    Thought atleast the IT industry had a bit of international touch over it,but maybe i am wrong.
    In the Offshore industry its like that anyway.
    I have a friend in Norway who works as a programmer.He works on different project for Statoil.I can always ask him how he got into it.

Keep on looking:)

Advertisement