Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowered car and insurance...

• 25-03-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I got my 01 Fiat Bravo lowered just by installing Eibach springs -30mm.
    She actually didn't go down too much or even none, because considering age of car, stock springs were already a bit squeezed...
    Anyway I didn't do it for looks but for handling (i'm driving mostly on very bendy country roads) and I must admit it helped a lot. Car is much more fun to drive now.

Anyway I'm thinking what about insurance now. Do I have to notify my insurer about this modification? I don't have any invoices for springs because I got them secondhand from a friend, and I don't have any invoices for mounting them, because I installed them myself.

I'm bit confused, because I'm originally from county where insurers has nothing to do with any mods in cars, but in Ireland most of them has clauses "car is not modified in any way"...

Should I call my insurer and tell that I got lowering springs?
    Would my premium go up a lot because of it?
    What happens if I don't tell my insurer and then crash?

What is actually considered as modification? Would putting another size of tyres be already a modification? Or alloys, fog lights, etc ?

Thanks for any advice, because I'm bit confused how it acutally works in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Ring them and tell them. They won't need an invoice or receipt from a garage or anything.

If you don't then they may refuse to pay out in the event of a claim/accident.

Your premium may rise but it won't be anything astronomical.

If your car model has alloys/fogs etc. as standard (for that spec level) then it won't be considered a modification. However changing the standard wheel size (e.g 16" to 18") may be considered a mod. Just make sure you tell them everything that isn't stock on your car.

Remember an insurance company is a business and will often try to avoid paying out any chance they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

They may ask for an engineers report,which would involve bringing it to a garage and inspecting the suspension and deeming it to be fitted correctly.

I wouldn't mention that you fitted them yourself in your initial enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭retrothis

My buddy lowered his golf by 35mm....insurance company wanted 90 euro of him. So you should definetly ring them up and tell em. But you might be lucky, they might only want money from you if there's a power increase....

Advertisement