Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

taking the cat out

• 26-03-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

i have an exaust with a nice little purr out of her. It has a silencer. If i take out the cat convertor will it be louder or will I have to take the silencer out also for a nice sound out of her?. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

take the silencer out and it will be a bit too loud id say! taking the cat out is fine but illegal and wont pass an nct. but lots of people just put it back in for the nct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Taking the car out may also free up a few more ponies depending on what engine you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Yes it will make it louder.

An option is a decat silencer to reduce the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭diarmo111

I have a 2ltr pertrol!! @ tossy
    I have just passed nct thats why I want to take it out but I want something thats loudish, if you can use that word!!, but not something that will get me into trouble with the shades as I am not in thier good books!!. So I sould take out the cat so thier will be a nice deep sound out of it rather than taking out the silencer and it being too loud. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

If your not in the Guarda good books as you say, i personally wouldn't be making a car any louder and would not remove the cat. What you do is up to you.

• Advertisement

oh no its noting to do with driving!!. Id say ill take the cat out and if all comes to all and its too loud I will put it back in. Thanks for the replies lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what car is it?

its a mazda 626 gLX SPECIAL EDITION ;). i have it nicely done up surprisingly enough for the type of car moght try post a pic or two just want something to finish her off.

What are you going to replace the cat with? A custom de cat pipe or an aftermarket hi flow cat?

You will also more than likely get a few faults and CEL (check engine light) after you remove the cat.

to be honest with ya I am into cars and all but dont know too much about parts and all that!!. I thought you would just have to rplace it with a normal straight thru pipe like the one conecting the exuast??!! :confused:

• Advertisement

No the cat should have one or 2 sensors in it that will need to be fooled or switched off when disconnected.Im not very up on Jap cars but i know my own has one sensor that needs to be switched off,if i ever get around to doing it that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Shane2000

i just had my car de-cat, way too loud. straight through exhaust cost me 320 including backbox and now i have to spend another 80 quid on a performance silencer. some difference in power with the cat out though...

Advertisement