Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bike and respectful drivers

• 26-03-2010 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a proper bike today (to replace that POS Apollo I got in January to get me started). Trek 7.5FX. Lovely ride - very very happy with it. Cycled home from Stagg in Lucan to Maynooth this evening and even the lashing rain didn't take from an enjoyable cycle. I know I was warned here about the Apollo but I'm now appreciating how much difference a decent bike can make. I really enjoyed the cycle home as opposed to going out on the Apollo occasionally cos I have to.

I travelled the backroads from Westmanstown behind Confey behind Carton and down the Dunboyne Road to Maynooth. The last few Km were in darkness (I left Stagg later than I'd planned). I had front and rear lights but no high-vis vest. Just short sleeves and a bag that has some visibility strips on it.

And as for drivers. I was amazed by them. I was given plenty of room by every single one that passed me. Even oncoming traffic turned off their full beams when they spotted me.

I know drivers get a bad rap from cyclists generally so I feel that I should pass on a good news story too. Kudos to every driver who passed me on the road tonight and thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

High Vis jackets are only of use when they are visible.

Dropping down on the handlebars or having a backpack under them can mean that there is no vertical surface at the back,

then again cyclists are rarely hit from behind by cars, collisions are usually at intersections :(

pedal reflectors / leg bands which indicate pedalling motion are supposed to be the clearest indication to motorists that there is a push bike ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

.....then again cyclists are rarely hit from behind by cars, collisions are usually at intersections :(
    For ultimate side-on visibility: http://www.monkeylectric.com/m132s_gallery.htm

DFD*

*DreamingForDentists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Macros42 wrote: »
    I had front and rear lights

might have had something to with it

i know since i put 3 rear lights and the dealextreme light on the front i get more space (althought it was never really a problem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

They get a bad rap becuase a lot of us paint them with the same brush (as they do to us). I cycle home from work to Skerries sometimes in the dark, and I find that drivers are more courteous on the back unlit roads. It's on the busier roads where you're more likely to come across an ignorant driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

You generally do get better behaved drivers on unlit country roads...except in my experience around the dublin side of wicklow...largely though i put this down to most unlit roads being rural and people slow down so they don't look bad in case they know you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Speaking of visibility, I recently met one of the lads from Dublin Wheelers on the commute. He had a pair of knog frogs (one red, one white) on his drops bar ends like aircraft navigation lights. Very handy...

Advertisement